2021 T@b 400 Solo Boondock?

Does anyone have one yet? Does having the bed pulled out interfere with the opening of fridge? Any other warnings/insights would be helpful. I’ll be special ordering one just trying to decide if there’s anyone’s experience they can share. Sometimes there’s 3 of us and sometimes it’s just me and the pup. 
2021 T@B 400 Boondock White/White; TV: 2020 Honda Ridgeline 
2015 T@B Sofitel Silver/Silver;  TV: 2011 Honda Pilot
Maryland's Eastern Shore - Ravens, Crabs, Bohs & O's!

Traveling with Violet Bean, most of the time...

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2020
    Have you checked out the various walk through videos on UTube, gives some insight in how the sliding bed is setup.  From what I have seen, does not look like the fridge is blocked from opening, as the cushion top is well below the fridge door.  But getting to the fridge would involve being up on the bed when pulled out, as the bed is in front of the fridge area.  See photo below from Princess Craft RV:

You can see the bed blocking the walk area to the fridge, and blocking some of the galley cabinets.  Seems when using the galley, the bed needs to be changed to the
     “single” position, closed up.

This is an interesting layout, that we considered before buying the standard TaB400.
    We like the big closet in the standard layout, with the two-way fridge.  But nuCamp may have gone to a two-way compressor fridge in the 2021 TaB400 for the larger fridge option (from what Princess RV was saying in a walk through video) replacing the three way (black door) previously used in 2020, which is a good move if this is the case.  This becomes a nice option for those not needing the closet area, while retaining the more efficient two-way fridge.

As newer technology battery based systems are developed, I see not too far off, AC/DC systems completely replacing propane in RVs.  I live in a rural area, where our home fuel choices started out wood fire based heat/hot water, to propane and diesel fuel, and now electrical systems with solar options are starting to replace all the traditional fuel methods,  

Larger home type Alde systems can be very efficiently used with AC/DC solar systems, augmented by shore power.  So the move away from fossil fuels has begun...
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • kellywkellyw Member Posts: 56
    Ok, that’s actually very helpful. I was under the impression that the solo model was the one that offered the larger 2 way...interesting. I really don’t need the closet space but I didn’t want the 3 way fridge because I heard the 2 way is more efficient. Also basically the bed would have to be stowed in the solo and I’m not great about stowing in the 320 so I’m pretty sure that bad habit would follow me into the 400. 😉 I’ll check out the solo walk through videos. I also just learned no froli system with the solo too so 🤔 

edited June 2020
    Correct, but you could always add the froli system.   You might be right, all the Solos may have the 2-way fridge?
    cheers
    @Denny16, regarding...

“But nuCamp has gone to a two-way compressor fridge in the 2021 TaB400 for the larger fridge option replacing the three way (black door) previously used in 2020, which is a good move.  This becomes a nice option for those not needing the closet area, while retaining the more efficient two-way fridge.”

If anyone has a picture of the Isotherm Larger 2 way refrigerator installed (on a 2021 400 STD/BD) in the closet area next to bathroom on drivers side, can you post here?

I’ve searched videos, forum and the inter webs 😂 quite obsessively to no avail to see if anyone received it on a 2021, and I’ve come up empty. 

After looking at a close up of the solo bed platform with the slide out without the mattress, installing the froli aftermarket wouldn’t work as intended - at best it would be too far apart in rows to be effective when the bed is extended. I think it would work fine if single bed configuration and the bed slide wasn’t out for the larger bed setup though. 

Also, still trying to get confirmation that the larger 2 way Isotherm is what they would install in the standard bed configuration. (So yes, back to thinking that would be best) I can only find the 3 way larger fridge as being Norcolds in any of the pictures with a standard bed. The build sheets say Solo 12v 2 way for fridge, which as some other have indicated also indicated a Solo model build, to the factory. Maybe the dealer build sheet just hasn’t caught up with the change?

The froli is a must for comfort, I think. If I can get the Isotherm larger 2 way (like the one in the Solo model) where the closet is in the standard layout that would be the best configuration for us. Yes the extra maneuvering space would be great with the dog under foot but us being foodies, we’ll sacrifice the floor clearance for food storage as to not have to lug a cooler too. 😉

Thanks for humoring me and providing such good insight - I feel like I have to ‘chew all the taste out’ of every option before settling and pulling the trigger on the order form and paying my deposit this week and being locked in. Also super excited I’m finally getting closer to getting a 400!

Hoping this configuration is possible:
    2021 Tab 400
    Boondock Package (including solar panels)
    Larger Isotherm 12v fridge on drivers side
    Microwave
    White exterior
    White trim
    Gray Interior accent
    Cobblestone fabric
    Single accent stripe (Color still undecided - may skip stripe)
    Upgraded Maxxair 14 speed fan - done after production or at dealer. 

I did get confirmation this morning that the larger isotherm is only for the solo model. They can’t install in the standard closet space. 

So I finally ordered my 400 and wrote the check! It’s for real now. 😁 Should get it in August - just in time for fall trips. Until then, I’m going to continue enjoying my 320 and then probably list for sale here on the forum. It’ll make someone else a happy camper too! 😁

Here’s the configuration I selected:

2021 Tab 400
    w/Boondock Package (including solar panels)
    2 way 12v fridge on drivers side
    Microwave
    White exterior
    White trim
    Gray Interior accent
    Cobblestone fabric
    No graphic stripes/accents

It should be a blank canvas for decorating! 😊

I’ll wait on the maxxair fan - for now. I’ll probably get done at dealer at delivery or some other less busy time. 

edited July 2020
    Congratulations!  Grand move, too bad the larger fridge option is not a compressor 2-way unit, thanks for confirming this.  You will be happy with the extra closet locker space.  You could add shelves in the back part of the closet, that is being covered up with a blank panel.    We have the two way fridge under the galley counter and it is quite large, almost 2 cubic feet.
    Do post some photos when it arrives.
    cheers
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited June 2020
    @kellyw
    Did you order from Beckley's? 
    I picked up my 2021 T@B 400 Boondock from them yesterday, and they were great to work with. 
    And it's a really nice little'ish camper! Towed beautifully and easily - I had a 325 mile trip home so it had a good shake down trip.
    Glad you were able to order the perfect new camper! Good luck with it all.

P.S. I think your white on white is going to look great. I probably wouldn't have ordered the new gray trim that the in-stock one that I bought had, but I actually like it a lot in person. 

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    ChrisFix said:
    @kellyw
    Did you order from Beckley's? 
    I picked up my 2021 T@B 400 Boondock from them yesterday, and they were great to work with. 
    And it's a really nice little'ish camper! Towed beautifully and easily - I had a 325 mile trip home so it had a good shake down trip.
    Glad you were able to order the perfect new camper! Good luck with it all.

P.S. I think your white on white is going to look great. I probably wouldn't have ordered the new gray trim that the in-stock one that I bought had, but I actually like it a lot in person. 

I’m so glad you got your 400! So exciting. 😄 It looks great! I agree they are very thorough at Beckleys. Great people there. 

I did end up ordering from Miller’s Trailer in PA though. Beckleys was very busy and Millers a bit more responsive and has a good reputation as well. They’re about the same distance from me give or take a few miles. It should be delivered in August.  

Denny16 said:
    Congratulations!  Grand move, too bad the larger fridge option is not a compressor 2-way unit, thanks for confirming this.  You will be happy with the extra closet licker space.  You could add shelves in the back part of the closet, that is being covered up with a blank panel.    We have the two way fridge under the galley counter and it is quite large, almost 2 cubic feet.
    Do post some photos when it arrives.
    cheers
    I think I’ll be happy with the smaller fridge now. They explained that there actually is quite a bit of room in it which I hadn’t realized because my 2015 320s has the old style and very small Norcold. I think the 2 way will be more efficient too. Good idea on the shelves in the back of the wardrobe. I may actually try that mod. I’m going to see if I need the extra space first. I’m going to try and stay minimal in the 400. My 320 has a lot in it that I just thought I’d use but didn’t end up using so I’m going to purge before moving it all to the 400. And then try not to fill up the camper again lol

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @kellyw
    "And then try not to fill up the camper again lol"

That's going to be the hardest part!!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    Yes, we tend to use up all available space.  Just make up a list of what is really needed for your average camping trip, and just add that.  Other items that are used only for some trips, can be stored at home and added when needed.
    cheers
  • jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    kellyw I went back and forth between the standard and solo. You can put a froli system in the solo, but it would only work for the one side. I love the left side of the standard and the right side of the solo (if you're standing at the dinette). I don't like that wall right beside the stove, but I do like the extra floor space with the solo. 
    kellyw I went back and forth between the standard and solo. You can put a froli system in the solo, but it would only work for the one side. I love the left side of the standard and the right side of the solo (if you're standing at the dinette). I don't like that wall right beside the stove, but I do like the extra floor space with the solo. 
    That’s exactly what I thought. What did you end up choosing? I think In the end I’ll be happy with what I’ve chosen because any way you slice it I’ll still have a ton more room then my 320. My bulldog it part tank, lol so not having her directly underfoot was the goal...I’m sure she has her own plan 😂 Oh no, it just occurred to me I’ve just given her a longer ramp to charge ...and she does NOT have brakes 🤣

• kemcgrawkemcgraw Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2020
    @kellyw Would you share how much you paid for your 400? And what is the deposit?  Thanks
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @kemcgraw - if you wish to connect with a member, just proceed the member’s user name by “@“.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • kemcgrawkemcgraw Member Posts: 9
    Thanks. Should I do it again?
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Yes.  By preceding with @, the member receives a notification in the form of a pop up or email.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • WrenaaWrenaa Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2021 Tab 400 Solo Boondock at the dealer but still need to pick it up. (Frustrating it is there but they are too busy to release it right now!). What sold us on the Solo is the extra size sleeping area (Once you set up) and also neither of us have to crawl each other to get out of bed. You sleep head at stargazer window and feet towards the kitchen. I tend to be claustrophobic And we are both over 5’9” so didn’t want to feel wedged in. I think the name ‘SOLO is a misnomer. After trying out laying in it, we felt much more comfortable sleeping with the two of us.  The downside is setup but that’s ok. They can add the froli system but we will try it out first. I’m thinking of getting a 2-3 inch memory foam pad to roll up Or a couple portable ones we’ve seen at Costco and always have bedding on. So not to have to tuck in sheets every night! 
    We Really like the extra seating area in the back without the bed pulled out out. Just adds a great lounging space, but it is at the expense of a closet. We only plan on weekend trips but if you’re creative I think you could make it work long term, factoring in car storage. 
    2 way fridge is standard. We plan to get a Small plug in cooler to supplement and plug in our Jeep if necessary. The propane connector in the back should be great for cooking anything especially hot or smoky. So many great options with exterior burners! 
    2021 does have the coolest system up front in the dinette with the Solo. I’ve heard that’s a lot quieter than under the bed. 
    So many fun features - can’t wait to get out there for our first trip! 
    **one bummer is they removed back up camera on 2021 model. Seems like an odd feature to take away!  Any suggestions on a back camera? 

Congratulations on your TaB400 Solo, we looked at getting one also, but found a good deal on a slightly used 2018 instead.
    cheers
    kemcgraw said:
    @kellyw Would you share how much you paid for your 400? And what is the deposit?  Thanks
    I ordered a 2021 400 BD Standard layout and payed a little over $32k. The deposit was 25% to place the order. It’s supposed to be delivered to dealer at the end of this month. It’s about an 8-10 week lead time on factory orders last I was told. I ordered beginning of June. HTH. 😊

Kelly

• ldfldf Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2020
    What is the dry tongue weight for your 2021 TAB 400 Solo?  What type of Tow Vehicle do you plan on using?

Thanks.  Still shopping around.

Wrenaa
    said:
    "We have a 2021 Tab 400 Solo Boondock at the dealer but still need to pick it up "
  • WrenaaWrenaa Member Posts: 4
    The Tongue weight dry on the 400 SOLO is quoted at 327. Dry weight is 2866.  We will be towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. The Overland is rated to tow up to 6200 so we should have plenty of tow capacity. We added a brake control but the Overland came pre-wired to tow. We finally pick up our SOLO ‘Khaleesi’ Thursday morning - can’t wait!! Plan on our first excursion Friday night! 

• TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Wrenaa said:
    We have a 2021 Tab 400 Solo Boondock at the dealer but still need to pick it up. (Frustrating it is there but they are too busy to release it right now!). What sold us on the Solo is the extra size sleeping area (Once you set up) and also neither of us have to crawl each other to get out of bed. You sleep head at stargazer window and feet towards the kitchen. I tend to be claustrophobic And we are both over 5’9” so didn’t want to feel wedged in. I think the name ‘SOLO is a misnomer. After trying out laying in it, we felt much more comfortable sleeping with the two of us.  The downside is setup but that’s ok. They can add the froli system but we will try it out first. I’m thinking of getting a 2-3 inch memory foam pad to roll up Or a couple portable ones we’ve seen at Costco and always have bedding on. So not to have to tuck in sheets every night! 
    We Really like the extra seating area in the back without the bed pulled out out. Just adds a great lounging space, but it is at the expense of a closet. We only plan on weekend trips but if you’re creative I think you could make it work long term, factoring in car storage. 
    2 way fridge is standard. We plan to get a Small plug in cooler to supplement and plug in our Jeep if necessary. The propane connector in the back should be great for cooking anything especially hot or smoky. So many great options with exterior burners! 
    2021 does have the coolest system up front in the dinette with the Solo. I’ve heard that’s a lot quieter than under the bed. 
    So many fun features - can’t wait to get out there for our first trip! 
    **one bummer is they removed back up camera on 2021 model. Seems like an odd feature to take away!  Any suggestions on a back camera? 

@Wrenaa, you could handle bedding like I do in my 320.  I believe that is what I would do if I had the 400 Solo.  I have two twin memory foam toppers, each with a fitted sheet.  When hubby is along, they fit perfectly side-by-side for the large bed.  When he's not along (which is the majority of the time) I stack the twins and they stay in place wheel-to-wheel as a permanent twin.  In a solo, as I pushed the rail back in for day use, I would slide that topper over the top of the other, stacking them on the driver side.  Should be easy.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Can anyone comment on the arrangement of 12V outlets in the bedroom area of the 400 Solo? Inquisitive, aging Cyborgs want to know...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    Does anyone know if the television in the t@b 400 solo swings around enough for two people laying in bed to see it? 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
    edited August 2020
    @CrabTab   A 120VAC and USB outlets are located in the back pax side, next to the little bench/night stand as shown below.  As far as I know there are none on the drivers side bed area.

Cheers
    rhyno said:
    Does anyone know if the television in the t@b 400 solo swings around enough for two people laying in bed to see it? 
    The TV will swivel out 90 degrees to watch it sitting on the foot of the single bunk whilst facing the galley/frig side.  Not sure it will swing 180 degrees to watch from bed, and if it does, your legs are going to be under it.

If you want room for two people to watch TV from bed, you need the standard (non solo) version of the TaB400, the TV is mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed.
    Cheers.
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Thank you @Denny16

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Brook814_Brook814_ Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2020
    @rhyno We have a 2020 Tab 400 Solo and we do watch the TV while laying in the bed. We can both see it, so it hasn't been a problem at all. I was surprised because I did not think we would both be able to see it either, but we sure can. We sleep with our head at the Stargazer window as I think most people would.
    That would work, yes, the bed seems to be oriented to sleep with your head at the back.  But it would be hard to sit-up that way.  I was just thinking you could lounge on the bed, sitting up against the driver’s side wall with pillows, feet towards the pax side, and slide the TV around to watch that way.  Whenthe bed is made up in Single mode, the filler cushion can be put up against the driver’s side wall, and one could watch TV sitting on the bed at the forward end.
    cheers