Options

Outside hatches to access T@b under bench storage?

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and noticed that someone mentioned wishing they ordered hatches. I have not seen any tabs with doors like that is that an option? We just ordered a s model with outback package. There is still time to adjust the order if those hatches exist. 

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It isn't a standard option but the factory is pretty willing to accommodate special requests. There are T@b owners who have added them themselves.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    Thanks I will check into it.
     I do have another question though, is there a gauge or something to tell you how full your gray and black tanks are? Or do you have to guess? 
  • Options
    BillrfdBillrfd Member Posts: 2

Can the hatch be installed with a lock? 

• Options
    mdimdi said:
    Thanks I will check into it.
     I do have another question though, is there a gauge or something to tell you how full your gray and black tanks are? Or do you have to guess? 

I am not aware of anything. I had the same question about a year ago, and would love something like this, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    People have added the hatch doors to access storage.  You might check the Yahoo forum.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    I appreciate all the replies. I am already tired of waiting for it and I am not even sure my dealer ordered it yet. :) when I called the factory they said ones that are ordered now will be finished mid July. I guess I can work on my patience.  :s
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    I am fairly certain the outside hatches would be just like the hatch used inside the bathroom (on an S model ) or the one for T@Bs with outside showers. They have locks. Of course they are the crappy locks like the one on the fiberglass storage unit on the front of the trailer, but I believe they do lock.
    I have a 2015 built last Oct and I really only have two regrets, the FIRST being an outside hatch to access the under the bench storage on the door side of the trailer. It is SUCH a pain to get too. I really don't even put stuff past where I can reach in there with the access door by the fire extinguisher.
    SECOND, I have a CS-S and have the bench inside where the kitchen would be in a non Clamshell model. I thought I would use the bench to sit on. Instead I just put stuff on it and it is not really useful for that. So I have spoken to American RV in Azusa, CA near to where I live, they do alot of Little Guy's warranty work and they are going to be able to install a cabinet where the bench is with a counter top that would match the existing cabinets. Yay, a place in a CS-S to put your clothes. I am sure it would have cost a whole lot less if the I had known it was an option from the factory. In the Clamshell, our bathroom is the closet area on non S models. So there is really no closet or really usable place to put clothes. I am going to have drawers installed instead of the cabinet doors as well. 
    Those are the only two changes I would have made to my 2015 trailer. I LOVE MY T@B. We are very lucky in California to have little guy in San diego and American RV in Azusa to help us out and have such a responsive and responsible builder. Our trailer's interior quality, very sturdy construction and attention to detail puts the T@B trailer way above any of the other little ultralights out there. T@Bs rule.

The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    forklift_guy59forklift_guy59 Member Posts: 16
    That sounds great!!  If you don't mind me asking, what's a ball-park price on something like that.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited March 2015
    radren said:

.......I have a 2015 built last Oct and I really only have two regrets, the FIRST being an outside hatch to access the under the bench storage on the door side of the trailer. It is SUCH a pain to get too. I really don't even put stuff past where I can reach in there......

I found it works well for me to use the door access for things I use a lot out side the Tab where I can access it standing outside the door.  I then just lift the cushion and wood cover to access the items I don't need often that I keep in the back section of that compartment.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm like Rad - level blocks and such where I can get at them via the front door - vacuumed and other stuff I don't need all the time in the back portion.
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    mdimdi-I would think there may be still time if you want to make changes to your order, considering their backlog.  I would ask.  We requested an outside access door for the under bench storage, it is different than our outdoor shower door, and with a very sturdy lock. We also requested custom cabinets for the front- 36 inch closet with and with dresser drawers for our 2015 T@B-CS. 
    imageimageimageimage
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That outside hatch is right where my outside 110 outlets are located.
  • Options
    Same here.
    PXLated said:
    That outside hatch is right where my outside 110 outlets are located.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Steve and Karen,

I can't quite read the label on the inside of your hatch... Is there a brand name on there?

I'd like to see if I can order it aftermarket. It looks like a nice one (double wall - maybe insulated?)

Thanks.
    skwhee said:
    mdimdi-I would think there may be still time if you want to make changes to your order, considering their backlog.  I would ask.  We requested an outside access door for the under bench storage, it is different than our outdoor shower door, and with a very sturdy lock. We also requested custom cabinets for the front- 36 inch closet with and with dresser drawers for our 2015 T@B-CS. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    imageChanW,
    Here's a detail shot. We have a call in to Elsa at Pleasant Valley to see if this is a part that they stock. If we get more details, we'll fill you in.

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    In 2009 Carol Kelly put one in her CS.  I assume she's had no issues.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    We talked with Elsie at Pleasant Valley Trailers this afternoon. She has the 16 x 11 Baggage Doors in stock for $45. If you just want the part, call Elsie. Or call Marvin if you want to have the factory do the install (we didn't ask the cost of installation). If you are coming to Tearstock, fill out the online Service Request Form on the Tearstock 2015 pages. 
    Happy Trails!
  • Options
    By the way, our 110 receptacle is on the same side of the trailer but between the wheel well and the entry door. 
  • Options
    That's great, thanks for checking that out!

I'll have to measure to see how much room I left after I mounted that 12v outlet.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    TABaker said:
    In 2009 Carol Kelly put one in her CS.  I assume she's had no issues.
    That's the one I had put on the driver side. I've also got one about the size of an outside shower on the passenger side. They work great! The one on the driver side is where I put my power cords. The one on the passenger side is where I put my water hose and stabilizer crank. So I can set up without digging into the T@B or digging into my truck.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Travel Smith is another good company for travel pants. Good fabric, versatile design (zip off legs), good pocket function (security pockets, & zippered pockets), etc
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mcdmcd Member Posts: 17
    We asked for an outside hatch  for the Maxx S and were told by the dealer that Little Guy said that would void the warranty. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    mcd said:
    We asked for an outside hatch  for the Maxx S and were told by the dealer that Little Guy said that would void the warranty. 
     I would double check with Elsie at Pleasant Valley on that one.  Obviously if they sell them and offer to install them, your dealer might be mis-informed.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mcdmcd Member Posts: 17
    Thanks, I'll do that and see if they can send a hatch. 
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I finally took the time to check the measurements in our Tab (non-CS).

I'll have to move the outdoor 12v outlet I installed, but...

It looks like the inner framing on our 'S' model limits an access door to a 9" hole in the Tab, to slip the hatch's jamb into. Argggh. 

I guess I could do a 'wapper-job' (DW's word), and leave the framing member overlapping the top opening of the hatch.

I wonder if LG designs the baggage door to fit both the non-CS as well as the CS.

I have an email in to Elsie to see if the given dimensions are actually for the required hole cutout, or for the bezel.

edit: I heard back from Elsie. She says the dimensions specify the hole needed in the Tab... So I think the baggage door is too big for the non-CS. Drat.

skwhee said:
    We talked with Elsie at Pleasant Valley Trailers this afternoon. She has the 16 x 11 Baggage Doors in stock for $45. If you just want the part, call Elsie. Or call Marvin if you want to have the factory do the install (we didn't ask the cost of installation). If you are coming to Tearstock, fill out the online Service Request Form on the Tearstock 2015 pages. 
    Happy Trails!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I know that this post goes way back but I've contacted the manufacturer of the door mentioned below and gotten a quote. I have to admit that the idea of cutting a giant hole in the side of my trailer is pretty terrifying. Has anyone installed this themselves? Any words of caution/advice? Would anyone with a NuCamp-installed door on a clamshell model be willing to send me the measurements for exactly where this hatch is located on your trailer? Thanks.
    skwhee said:

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    Marceline said:
    I know that this post goes way back but I've contacted the manufacturer of the door mentioned below and gotten a quote. I have to admit that the idea of cutting a giant hole in the side of my trailer is pretty terrifying. Has anyone installed this themselves? Any words of caution/advice? Would anyone with a NuCamp-installed door on a clamshell model be willing to send me the measurements for exactly where this hatch is located on your trailer? Thanks.
    skwhee said:

I'm having one installed at NuCamp next week. 
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    This is not necessarily a mod you might want to do after the trailer has been built.  It depends on what is in the inside wall area where the door is going to be.
    This is a photo showing the hatch installation on a TaB400, notice that the hatch is framed inside and their is a inside plywood panel to finish the locker area.  The void between the ply and Azdel side of the TaB is filled with foam, yet to be installed:

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @Denny16, on the 320 S and CSS, the side walls under the bench are just the foam core and Azdel - no plywood.  That is why mounting of an outside Lagun bracket requires a wood bolster on the inside.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Thanks, still a good idea to frame the door opening from the inside, and/or a ply back Next you the Azdel wall, would be a good idea to help secure the hatch cover in place.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.