Options

Carrying a generator on a TaB

Comments

• Options
    I have a 2121 T@B 400 BDK on order. What are the issues to be resolved to set up a Stromberg Carlson tray for a generator over the propane box? Refilling the propane bottles is my first concern. 
    https://www.campingworld.com/trailer-tray-a-frame-cargo-carrier-70918.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SHB%20%7C%20Low%20Margin&utm_term=default-e&gclid=963c4a10199b1a150df41556dcdf83ac&gclsrc=3p.ds& 
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,331
    edited August 2020
    @Rich1941, the issues that jump out at me are (1) you would not be able to open the Boondock aluminum tub lid to access the propane bottle(s) or other items, (2) depending on how big a generator you want to add, and combined with whatever else is mounted/stored on the front of the trailer, you may exceed your allowable tongue weight, and, most significantly (3) the Boondock platform blocks access for mounting the generator tray to the frame (because the platform extends over the frame.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    A Stromberg Carlson tray Like the one shown in the link, is not gpoing to work on a TaB, as it blocks access to the TaB toungue box, where you gas bottle and storage for cables, etc is located.  Put the generator in/on your TV.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Bayliss @Denny16-Thanks for your input. I'm now looking at a Honda 2200, modified for propane,  secured to the Boondock platform and a Soft Start to be able to run the Cool Cat as necessary.  
  • Options
    A much better option, also wait until you get your trailer and generator before buying the soft start.  You may find you do not need the soft start, SD the Honda 2200i should run the AC without modifying it.  Several users here have reported it works just fine.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    A much better option, also wait until you get your trailer and generator before buying the soft start.  You may find you do not need the soft start, SD the Honda 2200i should run the AC without modifying it.  Sev eral users here have reported it works just fine.  
    Cheers

@Denny16 The Soft Start is  working towards my ultimate plan to run my AC for short perods from my inverter without having to start generator during pit stops on summer trips through Texas heading West to CA coast. Just planning ahead one step at a time with new lithium batteries to start with when my 2021 Tab400  BDK arrives in November. Factory inverter is my next issue and it's not clear to me whats going to be there. It was 105 degrees here today reminding me to get it right for a Covid-19 resistant trailer to make my "TEXIT;) 
  • Options
    I have the nüCamp Factory inverter, it is not going to run the AC, it will not even run my 700 watt microwave, which turned out to be a 1050 watt load.  Youmwill need at least a 2-3K watt inverter and 400 amps of lithium batteries, and that will only get you about 6-8 hrs of AC use.  Not a very practical solution with the CoolCat.  We looked into using the inverter for the AC, and decided a generator was a better option at this point.
    cheers
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 728
    @Denny16
    I agree with you. Independent of cost, it's hard to carry enough batteries in a T@B 400 for running air conditioning off of them in any practical sense.
    Camping at elevation, or campgrounds with electric, or a generator, all really fit the T@B better than trying to build a big enough battery array with attendant inverter and charging capacity.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller