Leveling vs stabilizing

KARKAR Member Posts: 85
It's my understanding that the stabilizers are not meant to be used for leveling the trailer. However, my spouse thinks they are. Right now the T@B is in our driveway with a little tilt to the west side. We got the No/So (front to back) leveled by cracking up the trailer wheel. But the E/W (side to side) is still off center. We cut some boards to put under the tires so I was thinking that's what we'd use to level it E/W. But they might be too thick and make us then off center to the east! Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? Thanks, K
2015 Tab S with Alde 

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,678
    @KAR, you are correct - the stabilizers are not suited for leveling.  You can use wood boards or blocks (anything really) to level side to side, but most owners use a commercial system like the Anderson, Bal leveler or plastic leveling blocks.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,357
    edited June 2020
    @KAR, I agree with what @Sharon_is_SAM wrote.  I would add that you don't need to have the trailer perfectly level, especially if it is just be stored slightly off level.  Of course, if you or your husband are like me, it just looks better when it is level, so I do my best to keep it level, even when it is in storage.

You do, however, want it to be close to level when using the trailer:  #1 for simple comfort (e.g., while sleeping and while cooking something on the stove), and #2 so that your refrigerator and air conditioner operate properly and efficiently.  It is important that the refrigerator be level, or close to level in both directions, to operate properly.  Also, you did not indicate which year/model T@B you own, but if you have the Danby or similar air conditioner mounted on the upper driver side of the trailer, it is a good idea to have the trailer tongue cranked slightly downward at the front so that the condensation properly drains from the A/C unit.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• KARKAR Member Posts: 85
    THANKS! Ours is a 2015 T@B. Appreciate your quick responses:) K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 482
    edited June 2020
    Not for leveling.  If you need ammo the answer is in the T@b Owners Manual, page 12.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    KAR said:
    THANKS! Ours is a 2015 T@B. Appreciate your quick responses:) K
    We have a 2016, and the BAL Leveler is the greatest thing going.  I kept it when we got rid of our pop-up and got the T@B.

I carry a bag of the Lego blocks just in case the stabilizers don't reach.  Found them at Goodwill for $5.

Also have the Camco wheel dock that looks like a dog bowl that the nose wheel sits in.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,765
    edited June 2020
    We have both wood blocks & Anderson leveler.  We find the Anderson easy to use, since the vehicle does the work & gets the L/R leveling done first (as it should be, since F/B level could be thrown off if done last).  Occasionally, we use an extra-long piece of 2x8" treated lumber plus Anderson on top; although we might need to sprinkle some sand on the board to keep the Anderson from sliding on it.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Thanks! We looked at the Anderson leveler and it looks great.
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 66
    Looking for a leveling system for our Tab 400 BDL.  Good information here.  I've been thinking about just some 2X10's cut with a 45o angle to make driving up onto them easier.  If I have several at various lengths, I could stack them to get heights in 1-1/2" increments.  Is a 2x10 too wide?  I'm worried that a 2x8" (at an actual width of 7-1/2") would be too narrow.
    The Anderson looks nice, too.  It occurred to me (not having used one) that perhaps @BrianZ's issue of the Anderson sliding on top of a piece of wood could be solved with a 2x4 cross piece at the end of the 2x8.  Would that help?  Also, the Anderson site says something about buying a pair.  Since the Tab only has one axel, I only need one leveler... correct?
    Please... somebody just tell me the truth and level with me here!

2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    I have used both 2x6 wood and the Anderson setup, I prefer the Anderson, and the new kits come with a rubber pad to prevent slipping on paved surfaces, and could be used under a board.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited September 2020
    @Sharon_is_SAM Thanks for the links to those discussions.  I'm still learning my way around the forum.  When I typed "leveling" or "level" into the search bar none of those came back as hits.  Any suggestions on what I did wrong?
    Edit: nevermind... operator error - I found them (I hadn't paged down enough through the hits).  Sorry to bother this thread with a question that had been well-discussed before!

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,678
    No worries @TresK3.  It does take time to learn the forum ropes.  You can eliminate all the single comment entries under a search by using the drop down arrow next to the search item, then unchecking the comment box.  Makes it easier.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Yes, @Verna told me about filtering out the comments.  There's still a LOT of information here.  Of course, that's a feature, not a bug!
    Thanks!!
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,509
    @TresK3 there is another, more permanent option. In the mods section @Dalehelman has instructions for replacing your rear stabilizers with scissor jacks, including a template for a metal plate between the Tab and the jack. I have this mod and love it! I can safely do a three point level, tongue and two rear jacks. I also carry my Anderson leveler that I have used previously and now tend to loan out to my camping friends. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    I did read a long discussion about installing scissor jacks for leveling.  Thinking about that, but I need an interim solution.  One concern I have is that the weight goes directly to the end of the frame, rather than the wheels, which are designed to take it.
    We love our Anderson blocks :)
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
    edited September 2020
    So do I.
    cheers
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @TresK3 there is another, more permanent option. In the mods section @Dalehelman has instructions for replacing your rear stabilizers with scissor jacks, including a template for a metal plate between the Tab and the jack. I have this mod and love it! I can safely do a three point level, tongue and two rear jacks. I also carry my Anderson leveler that I have used previously and now tend to loan out to my camping friends. 
    @Homebodyatheart
    You and I along with the many installations that have been performed over the last 5 years. Have to my knowledge are all performing perfectly with no issues. That being said the pros and cons of this mod has been discussed many times. New comers to the T@B family would have to search back about 5 years to find detailed discussions as to why we are happy with it. All I can say is it has served us well, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited September 2020
    Interesting idea, but would not work on our TaB400.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It was never designed or suggested for a 400 as they were not available at the time. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun