Options

3rd Week of August Delivery Delays

I placed a deposit for a T@B 320 Boondock a few months ago and was told it'd arrive the 3rd week of August.  The date to pick it up came around and I called the dealer to make sure it was ready to pick up, they said it hadn't been built and was expected to be delivered the next week.  Next week came around, called and they said it would certainly be in by Wednesday or Thursday this week.  Just called them again and now they're saying it won't be in until next Wednesday or Thursday. So far the dealer hasn't called to inform me of any delays and I've been finding out a day before I planned to make the drive to pick up the camper, I'm not sure if this is typical behavior or maybe the dealer I ordered from is just not that put together.

Does anyone know how long the 3rd week of August deliveries are delayed for?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The entire production process for everyone’s campers has been delayed for about 6 weeks. This is due to a scarcity of parts. There is no getting around it. When nüCamp was shutdown, the parts manufacturers were shut down, too.  There’s no reason to be angry, it is what it is, in all production of anything. My 2021 T@B 320 Boondock was delayed by 6 weeks, also. If the repair department was adding any special order additions, there will be additional delays as they are swamped!

If you have your VIN number from your dealer, you can inquire what your production date will be from customercare@nucamprv.com. Please realize there will be shipping time after the T@B is completed, even if your dealer is in Ohio. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    futuretabbuyer25futuretabbuyer25 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for letting me know.  I wonder why the dealer couldn't just tell me it was delayed by 6 weeks.  The dealer hasn't given me the vin number yet 
  • Options
    Ask for the VIN number. If they refuse, possibly customer care can give it to you, but you’ll have to prove who you are. 

And dealers don’t always want to share “bad” news. I want just the truth and that will satisfy me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I contacted customer care and they said I’ll have to work with the dealer to get the delivery date. The dealer says it’ll be in next week, we’ll see if it actually comes in or not.  If the same thing happens again where it doesn’t come in and they pretend like they hadn’t already given me 4 missed delivery dates with no explanation I’m probably going to cancel my order since I’ll only have a week left before I’m no longer able to charge back the deposit
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2020
    That sounds like a good plan.  If the dealer is not too far away, I would go in person and have a long discussion about being up front with delays or issues beyond their control, not being upfront about it, and instead giving out misinformation or lame excuses.  If they can not be upfront and honest about the issues and yiur order, then cancel or threaten to cancel it right there.  Then go find a better dealership that is going to work with you.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Ask for the VIN number. If they refuse, possibly customer care can give it to you, but you’ll have to prove who you are. 

And dealers don’t always want to share “bad” news. I want just the truth and that will satisfy me. 
    @Verna @futuretabbuyer25
    I just got my VIN number from my dealer. What's the phone number of Customer Care.
  • Options
    I contacted customer care and they said I’ll have to work with the dealer to get the delivery date. The dealer says it’ll be in next week, we’ll see if it actually comes in or not.  If the same thing happens again where it doesn’t come in and they pretend like they hadn’t already given me 4 missed delivery dates with no explanation I’m probably going to cancel my order since I’ll only have a week left before I’m no longer able to charge back the deposit

@futuretabbuyer25 In most states the dealer can't keep your deposit if they dont deliver. It may be coverd by federal law too. I've cancellled three RV orders and stood my ground and eventually got my deposit back. If you really want a TAB  hang in there and you'll eventully get it. Cancelling the order puts you into 2021 for delivery at another dealer Keep your cool they've got customers lined up that will take your order. 
    It's crazy out there. My dealer has no inventory and sold 100 trailers last month from pictures. 
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    We ordered ours 2 weeks ago.  The dealer said the expected date was Nov 14th.  He said this was the date the manufacturer gave him for units ordered on that day.  We are in the Pacific Northwest, so figure a few days for transit.  (The dealer did say that some manufacturers were having a little trouble finding drivers who would transport to Portland because of the vastly overblown sense that it's a battleground.
  • Options
    @Rich1941, their email address is customercare@nucamprv.com
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jeff57jeff57 Member Posts: 28
    I learned from my dealer that the delay in production of our 2021 320 CS-S is due to a supply chain backlog in Nu Camp getting the cassette toilet from the manufacturer.  We were expecting an end of September pick up date and are awaiting a new time estimate.  I guess the year 2020 is one of practicing patience and understanding.  Let’s hope we all get our new TaBs soon. 
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    in my work life, I work with very large industries and manufacturers across a wide spectrum; they are all struggling with supply chain and transportation issues, some due to manufacturing logistics, and some due to shifts in consumer/consumption behaviors during the pandemic.  It can come down to a single part holding things up, if there is no approved (and available) alternative to replace it.  The cassette toilet would likely be one that is hard to substitute.

I suspect nuCamp are like many others, trying to deal with stretched supply chains for component parts and the shift in consumer behavior toward camping as a “safe” alternative to other forms of travel.
  • Options
    TNOutback said:
    in my work life, I work with very large industries and manufacturers across a wide spectrum; they are all struggling with supply chain and transportation issues, some due to manufacturing logistics, and some due to shifts in consumer/consumption behaviors during the pandemic.  It can come down to a single part holding things up, if there is no approved (and available) alternative to replace it.  The cassette toilet would likely be one that is hard to substitute.

I suspect nuCamp are like many others, trying to deal with stretched supply chains for component parts and the shift in consumer behavior toward camping as a “safe” alternative to other forms of travel.
    That may be the case, but surely if it was Nucamp would be communicating those issues with dealers that are expecting orders to arrive?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    TNOutback said:

That may be the case, but surely if it was Nucamp would be communicating those issues with dealers that are expecting orders to arrive?
    They might be and that might not have trickled to everyone in a dealership.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited September 2020
    There’s only 2 sales people at this dealership and one is the owner
  • Options
    @futuretabbuyer25, I’ve been in contact with the factory. The problem is the supply line of parts, and honestly, patience will be needed.  If nüCamp doesn’t have the parts available, they sure can’t make a camper.  If your dealer is not telling you the same thing the factory is telling me, then so be it. 

Patience is a virtue, and I’m being virtuous, and I’m getting a lot of stuff done around the house in the meantime. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    We ordered on August 15 and were given a mid-October ETA. When I inquired yesterday the salesperson said the ETA from Ohio is now October 29. I hope that’s accurate!  Patience. 
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    We ordered our Tab 400 a couple of weeks ago and were told it would be next March at the earliest. Axles and other parts are on backorder. Our dealer said he should know more details in a few weeks. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    Our dealer already had a large order placed in late July for quite a few units. We were able to reconfigure one of these to our specifications. Worked out for us; however, Oct 31 delivery won’t mean much camping until next March. I guess we won’t have to worry about off-gassing!
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    I finally got an update from the dealership.  The camper is built but the factory has no toilets and they currently have no estimate on when they will be in and can’t ship until the toilets are in.  The dealership found out about this last week and instead of telling me when I called they decided to say it would be in next week.

My wife and I are talking it over but will most likely cancel our order
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    That is one option, but the dealership finally provided a real update on what was going on.  The Cassette a Toilets could be in soon, or it may be a few more weeks?  At any rate, canceling your current order means going back to the 
    end of the line, if you decide to buy one later.  I do not think prices are going to come down any time soon, will likely stay where they re or go up more.  

Another option is canceling and buying a slightly used TaB from someone trading up.
    Covid 19 is not going anywhere any time soon, we are in this for the long haul.
    cheers
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Wonder if you can get a rain check on the toilet?  If I was within a reasonable drive of the factory, I would consider that.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited September 2020

• Options
    Wonder if you can get a rain check on the toilet?  If I was within a reasonable drive of the factory, I would consider that.
    That's a good idea I'll ask about that.  It is close to time to winterize anyway so it wouldn't really change usage as long as its ready before spring.

Considering how unhelpful the dealer has been so far im not going to get my hopes up though.  It'd be nice if we could purchase directly from nucamp the same way tesla sells cars.

• Options
    Denny16 said:
    That is one option, but the dealership finally provided a real update on what was going on.  The Cassette a Toilets could be in soon, or it may be a few more weeks?  At any rate, canceling your current order means going back to the 
    end of the line, if you decide to buy one later.  I do not think prices are going to come down any time soon, will likely stay where they re or go up more.  

Another option is canceling and buying a slightly used TaB from someone trading up.
    Covid 19 is not going anywhere any time soon, we are in this for the long haul.
    cheers
    The dealer said nucamp had no idea when the toilets would be in, so sounds like it may be months not weeks. The charge back period on my deposit runs out in less than 2 weeks so if I want to ensure I can get that back I have to cancel soon.

I see a few likely scenarios where prices drop drastically in 6-12 months.  1.  A vaccine comes out and things start going back to normal 2. The stock market crashes, people lose their jobs, start defaulting on rv loans or selling unused rvs to prepare for the down turn.

If I do cancel the plan will be to buy a slighty used 2021 once people start selling them next year
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I do not think either scenario is very likely.  No. 1, would take 6-months to a year to test a viable vaccine, and recent research has shown Covid 19 antibodies only last for up to several months in the human body, so you would need many traditional vaccines to maintain immunity.

No 2 more likely, but a stock market crash is also unlikely, and even 911 did not produce one, stocks went down but they came back up.
    cheers
  • Options
    Time will tell, there’s various fundamental signs that the stock market is due for a significant correction in addition to the pandemic. If RV demand does continue manufacturers will create more efficient processes to increase supply.  If people lose their jobs or lose interest then there will be lots of used rvs on the market. Either way now seems like buying at the top and if I’m not able to use the RV during the time period where my wife and I are guaranteed to be working remotely then it’s not worth it to me to buy at the top
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @futuretabbuyer25 - sound thinking.  Just wondering, when you gave a deposit, did you place an order with the dealer, or I wondered if buyers were giving a deposit for a TaB that the dealer had ordered as part of their sales allotment.  I believe that the majority of TaBs are sold from buyer placed orders.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    We put down $500 for our 400 Tab that we just ordered and it is due for delivery March 2021 at the earliest. I don't know what you put down to risk losing and of course, YMMV but our dealer said if we have a "good enough story" he would refund our deposit if it turns out we cannot buy our coach in the spring. I don't think dealers are going to have any trouble unloading inventory in the near term and all four Tabs our dealer has on order for his lot next spring are already spoken for. If we would have had to deposit $1000 or more I would be more nervous about losing the money if we were running up against an official deadline to get our deposit back.
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    For what its worth..  Was heading east on I-90 heading back to Ohio from Seattle, I saw two trailers of  nucamp trailers  one had 5 T@Gs  the other had 1 400.. 1 320s & 1 320css    there were going west it was in Wy. or Mt.   that was about on sept.9.. I hope everyone gets there camper before winter...
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @futuretabbuyer25 - sound thinking.  Just wondering, when you gave a deposit, did you place an order with the dealer, or I wondered if buyers were giving a deposit for a TaB that the dealer had ordered as part of their sales allotment.  I believe that the majority of TaBs are sold from buyer placed orders.
    rhyno said:
    We put down $500 for our 400 Tab that we just ordered and it is due for delivery March 2021 at the earliest. I don't know what you put down to risk losing and of course, YMMV but our dealer said if we have a "good enough story" he would refund our deposit if it turns out we cannot buy our coach in the spring. I don't think dealers are going to have any trouble unloading inventory in the near term and all four Tabs our dealer has on order for his lot next spring are already spoken for. If we would have had to deposit $1000 or more I would be more nervous about losing the money if we were running up against an official deadline to get our deposit back.
    I put down a $1000 deposit for one of the T@B 320s the dealer had ordered for his lot that was supposed to be delivered the third week of August. I wasn't able to make any customizations to the order and I was under the impression it was already built and just needed to be shipped. He said the deposit was non-refundable which is why I'd rather deal with it within the chargeback deadline because I don't think they're going to willingly give the deposit back.

Customer service on the dealers part has been pretty poor throughout the entire process