Momentary Lapse of Reason

FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
edited September 2020 in Tips & Tricks
I backed into my son's car today with my T@B. Really stupid and I'm kicking myself for it. It wasn't in its normal spot and I was fresh off a nap...oh well, no excuses. I wish it would have been backing into a campsite at the very least :) Does anyone know the best way to fix and injury such as this? Pretty clean split. I don't care as much for aesthetics(a neat repair would be nice) as much as maintaining the integrity of the shell. Any advice would be much appreciated!  Thanks
(Photo resized and reoriented!)

2019 Tacoma Off Road
2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
-Mark Twain

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I think I would get a quote from a body shop.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2020
    Probably so. Other than this, the thing is in great shape. To be honest, I don't want to spend $500 for this minimal repair. I was hoping someone had a cheaper fix option.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    I have a 320-s, which looks different from you setup..on mine, I could unscrew the part, pull it back together with blue tape on the outside, then epoxy and fiberglass strip on the inside.  I don't know if yours comes off the trailer as easy as mine does. 
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • linolino Member Posts: 224
    You could get an estimate for a replacement part and then it would look new
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @trimtab nailed it(no pun intended). Remove the part and using fiberglass cloth & epoxy resin, rebond the split, from the back. The crack can be masked with a bit of bondo from the front, finish sanded & painted(rattle can primer, and as close a math as possible in rattle can.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Finchy ,  The plastic can be glued back together using PVC plumbers glue. For best results you would need to remove the trim piece for proper alignment and holding in place until the glue set. The result would be a water proof repair but would leave a visual line, showing your scar.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
    This is a particularly boring story, Verna. Thanks all! I will post and update. I will probably do my camping for the rest of the year and replace the part over the winter months. We shall see.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Finchy - is that the same 2014 CS-S in your signature line?  I can’t find a 2014 with round tail lights.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    It is a 2014...says so on the registration :)
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2020
    Unless it's "I got drunk and went to Vegas and got a tattoo", or "I was stationed in the South Pacific during the war and I met....", it's still a better story. (love it @Verna!)

Sorry about your mishap @Finchy. It hurts! BTDT
    Finchy said:
    This is a particularly boring story, Verna. Thanks all! I will post and update. I will probably do my camping for the rest of the year and replace the part over the winter months. We shall see.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    You could do the “more proper” repair going the fiberglass route.  Or just mend it with Plasti-Mend.  I personally like JB Weld products.  They also make a plastic mend product.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Do you have a clamshell (CS-S as in your signature)? I can't figure out what corner that is.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 120
    @Marceline

Rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, passenger side, non LED taillight of 320 S.

Best I can figure.   :)
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    @Marceline

Rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, passenger side, non LED taillight of 320 S.

Best I can figure.   :)
    Thanks. That makes more sense.
    @Finchy "CS-S" (as shown in your signature) means a clamshell T@B with a wetbath. If you don't have a clamshell model you might what to correct your signature to avoid confusion.

For now, I'd put something over it to keep any water out. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    I will change it. I am confused by the model numbers. 
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

Now I see what area that is.... CS-S confused me.
    It seems like removing that body panel could be a major undertaking, not sure. Screws and sticky sealing goop at a minimum.
    If you haven't already figured it out,  you can get at the back side of that plastic from the inside. You need to remove the back shelf and open up the insulation that's back there. A PITA either way.
    Maybe simply secure the crack from the inside, with fiberglass and epoxy, and bondo it on the outside and paint it? Maybe incorporate your new lightning-bolt graphics?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Thanks, ChanW. I'm taking it to an RV body shop. They will make it look brand new. NuCAmp only has white in that particular part, anyway. I am debating just sealing it with Plasti-mend and painting it with some T@B touch up paint I have. The body shop repair, while looking minor will take some time to do correctly and probably run me $500.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

Yeah. I'd go with plasti-mend and fiberglass fabric.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Finchy said:
    Thanks, ChanW. I'm taking it to an RV body shop. They will make it look brand new. NuCAmp only has white in that particular part, anyway. I am debating just sealing it with Plasti-mend and painting it with some T@B touch up paint I have. The body shop repair, while looking minor will take some time to do correctly and probably run me $500.
    $500 seems like a reasonable price for a shop to do it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    How about a nice American flag sticker?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun