Dreaming of new models

This discussion was created from comments split from: Help Me Decide.......Please!!!.

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2021
    Now to dreaming about new models, a TaB500 series or a 400XL would be cool, like a small two axle unit with the sam basic TaB shape, but a few feet of added length to get a twin bed layout, that can be made into a larger queen/king bed arrangement.

One could gain some added galley counter space too, or some partial bulkhead portion between bed area and galley, that could incorporate a pull out pantry like the Avia has, and the larger compressor two-way feint from the Solo model.  

A two foot longer Solo, with twin bed setup would work also, using most of the two feet to get the twin beds, and keep the existing wardrobe locker/larger fridge option.  So the 400XL would be the same from the galley/washroom area forward, but with twin Solo type beds aft that could be made up into one large bed.
    Keep the total length to around 20-22 feet.

Now to dreaming about new models, a TaB500 series or a 400XL would be cool, like a small two axle unit with the sam basic TaB shape, but a few feet of added length to get a twin bed layout, that can be made into a larger queen/king bed arrangement.

One could gain some added galley counter space too, or some partial bulkhead portion between bed area and galley, that could incorporate a pull out pantry like the Avia has, and the larger compressor two-way feint from the Solo model.  

A two foot longer Solo, with twin bed setup would work also, using most of the two feet to get the twin beds, and keep the existing wardrobe locker/larger fridge option.  So the 400XL would be the same from the galley/washroom area forward, but with twin Solo type beds aft that could be made up into one large bed.
    Keep the total length to around 20-22 feet, inside floor length around 18-feet.

In EU TaB was selling a TaB510 XL, which had dual axles and was longer than a TaB400.  It had a rear dinette thst ruined into a RV Queen bed, slightly larger than the 400 bunk.  In the front, one configuration had kids bunk beds.  Galley, washroom and locker space between as the TaB400 is, but longer, more galley space.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Denny16 That better explains the discrepancy.  Looking forward to the pictures.

Oh and on the perfect 2022 T@B 540 the forum is designing, that's being announced any day now, can you make sure the entry door is widened by a foot with a ramp option and a few D-rings built into the floor?  I'd rather have that instead of a dinette. I can keep the recumbent trike and kayak in the tow vehicle.  But it might be nice to have a small classic motorcycle in the camper for canyon cruising without having to go full toy-hauler.  So far I'm unimpressed with the toy-hauler quality on anything with a dry weight under 4500lbs.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Have you looked at the Taxa Mantis, it has tie dow on area in the front just inside the door, the couch/bunk beds fold up against the front and can hold mountain bikes.  Rigging a ramp would be easy and the door is wide.

I doubt nüCamp would widen the door on a TaB 500 series, as they use the same door for the Avia and now on all the TaBs. I also do not see the glamping TaB being used as a toy hauler, different market.
    cheers 
    edited August 2020
    You're probably right.  Guess I can add another 1000W on the trike instead.  But I was complaining to Princess Craft about the lack of a glauling (sp?) camper.  They listed some models like the 19' Ibex toy hauler that ticked some of my boxes (mid-sized but bigger tanks, rear ramp / patio, separate bedroom and dry bath, partially enclosed basement that could at least have heating pads added, Azdel walls, under 4500lbs)... but the furniture / cabinets and utilities are a far cry from NüCamp quality.

edited August 2020
    Moderators:  Thanks for splitting this off.  Now someone can create some CAD/CAM models and even the instructions for the computerized router / cutters, so NuCamp can create an even more forum influenced model than they normally do.  The T@B Voice of the People model?  Hmmm...  maybe 540 is better.

• Heated tanks and valves
    • Dual 30lb propane tanks
    • At least 45/45/45 tanks... maybe bigger fresh tank.
    • 12v compressor fridge
    • 900w solar with Lithium option (that's a factory Lance option now I believe)
    • Same beautiful cabinets
    • No dinette option (small sofa or two massage chairs instead with a table between)
    • Slightly thicker insulation on walls and ceiling for Texas summers and Montana winters
    • Dual axle with some articulation for rugged mountain roads
    • Under 4500lbs
    • Adek floor by default

Just was listening to the Princess Craft podcast.  They called various RV manufacturers to see what they're struggling with to maintain production quantity.

Then they called nüCamp.  They answered the phone indicating they were busy getting a 620 prototype unit out to somebody.

So NEWS FLASH, it won't be a 540, it will be a 620.  Unless he was just kidding. Now I have to find out if it's too early to get on the production list.

Cool, a 620 works, now if only nüCamp was getting the prototype ready for me!  ;)
    cheers
    @Denny16 The chap said he was working on the cabinets for the prototype in their R&D building.  Shouldn't they all be concentrating on your floor instead?  Different department though.  So can we guess what the length of the unit will be, or what the external graphics will look like from the new number designation?  Maybe 24' 4700# dual axle with a slideout, and with a forest scene instead of mountains?

edited April 2021
    @DougH  Thanks Doug, a 620 sounds more like the Cirrus truck camper series.  It would be nice if it is a larger TaB.
    cheers
    Woot!  Here's hoping you get a few trips in before the harsh Northern Cali winter and those four foot snows force you to put it up in storage for the year.   =)

edited September 2020
    Me too Doug, we have a trip scheduled to Clear Lake in late October, so it will be cooling off up there.  This weekend we are having nice weather on the Coast, not too hot or cold.  The only snow we get on the coast is an occasional few inches.
    Here is hoping they do not run into any issues with the rest of the work being done.

It will be interesting to see what the new 620 is going to look like layout wise.  Outside it should look like a stretched TaB400, with dual axles, and more of a taper towards the front.  Her’s hoping they have a twin or island queen bed option.
    cheers
    Instead of a horizontal slide out, it might be nice to have a full body vertical one, similar to the Alto Safari, but with a six foot lift from front to rear so the central spiral staircase can lead through the hatch to the second story.  The one with the observatory deck and a place to mount telescopes for all the amateur astronomers.  A wet and dry sauna room of course to go with the 2cond story hot tub.  And maybe a small lap pool, near the rear four foot garage and ramp for a mid-sized motorcycle. Incremental evolution.  ;)

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    DougH said:
    Instead of a horizontal slide out, it might be nice to have a full body vertical one, similar to the Alto Safari, but with a six foot lift from front to rear so the central spiral staircase can lead through the hatch to the second story.  The one with the observatory deck and a place to mount telescopes for all the amateur astronomers.  A wet and dry sauna room of course to go with the 2cond story hot tub.  And maybe a small lap pool, near the rear four foot garage and ramp for a mid-sized motorcycle. Incremental evolution.  ;)
    I’d totally pay extra for the spiral staircase and observation deck option. Reminds me of flying on the old 747 with the upstairs bar...haven’t seen one of those in forever! 😁
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
     620, if a real thing is likely 2.2m or 7.2 feet longer than than a 400.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    That's oddly specific.  I guess you signed an NDA, and can't tell us if you're getting one of the prototypes for three months to test.  But if you are, can you just nod your head without saying anything?   :)

edited September 2020
    If the model numbers represent length in meters, then the difference will be 7.21 feet (2.2 meters).  So the overall length to ball will be around 23 feet, and floor length is 20.34 feet. A TaB 400 floor should be around 4 meters, or 13.12 feet long.  A TaB 400 box is 15 feet long, so a 620 box could be 22.21 feet long.  But the Avia inside length is 21’2”, so a 620 would need to be in between the 400 and Avia, not nipping on its heels.  

So, how long is the floor on a 320, 10.5 feet?  If so, then the model number is the floor length in meters (x.xx).  

That said, the 620 could be a designation for a 6 meter floor on a 2-axle frame, thus 620.  Six meters would be about 19.5 feet long, making the 620 6.5 feet longer than a 400, which makes more sense to me.  So over all length would be 24.5 feet with the box being around 21 feet long. Still too long.  So a 620 would need to be only three to four feet longer than a 400.  This gives am overall length of 21-22 feet, with a 16-17 foot floor.

This gives the 620 up to six more feet inside the trailer.  This gives room for a twin bed/island queen bunk area (2’ added) and extra space in the dinette and galley.  Keep the middle as it is in the 400.  

Cheers 
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    DougH said:
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    That's oddly specific.  I guess you signed an NDA, and can't tell us if you're getting one of the prototypes for three months to test.  But if you are, can you just nod your head without saying anything?   :)
    Naw, simply math. The 400 is 4.0 meters at least nominally, so fair to assume a 620 is 6.2 meters. All a guess, but fairly logical explanation.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    edited April 2021
    Yes, that is what I thought a first also.  But an Avia is 21’2” inside (floor), and 6.2 meters would make the inside of a 620 21’4”, which would be longer than the Avia?  Not likely the 620 is going to be as long or longer than the Avia.  

So perhaps this mythical 620 is really a 520, which puts the floor at 17-feet, or four feet longer than the TaB400.  That makes more sense in a gap filler between the Avia and a 400.  You gain the two feet in the rear bunk area, and two feet in the dinette.  Now we have a sweet spot in size, and a bout the same jump in size between a 320 and the 400. 

But this is all guess work, we are going to wait and see what actually materializes...  B)
    cheers
    And it could also be a NüCamp Cirrus 620 for smaller pickup beds, in which case we go back to calling our next gen T@B the 540 again (but keep the spiral staircase).

That is more than likely Doug, as I seem to recall nüCamp was working on a new smaller Cirrus camper for smaller 1/2 ton trucks.  Their current Cirrus line up is 920, 820, and 720.   So a 620 fits right in.  

I guess we got our hopes up too high...
    cheers

• xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    We are sitting here daydreaming of 400 mods. 
    Our list:
    Longer  frame so you get a bumper and a hitch for the bike rack. 
    Insulated and heated pipes and tanks for winter camping. 
    A complete queen bed- no foot corner cut out. 
    About a foot to 18” longer so the dinette area fits 4 avg sized people nicely.  Lagun table
    Off road axles for BD
    Take big sink out of WC and put the small faucet/ sink found on back of the new 320 toilet. 
    Deep sink with tall faucet in kitchen
    Flat windows like the new Airstreams
    Make the under bed storage accessible by a long drawer. 
    Have it so the front passenger window in dinette area lines up with door window when it is open.  Not sure it could? 

We love our Tab 400 and really wouldn’t want it to lose the teardrop coziness. 
    mer & xdr 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    By the way, the new 620 is the new Cirrus Truck Camper model. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks Verna, I worked that out, once I remembered about the Cirrus campers.
    cheers
    edited October 2020
    I don't want to get in trouble for mentioning another manufacturer, but the new 2021 KZ Escape Hatch 17 sure clicks most my boxes.  I had even been looking at toy haulers like the Falcon F23TH, Coachmen 17BLSE, Grey Wolf 19RRB, Ibex 19QTH, or KZ Escape E180TH to be able to get an e-bike or small motorcycle into the camper, but most lightweight toy haulers are of very dubious quality.  For the last six years we've been wondering why couldn't any RV company instead have a huge access door to get things like SUPs, kayaks or bikes inside quickly?  :s   We kept touring RV shows, and only saw huge access doors on a few full size motorhomes, and then of course the side or rear toy haulers before we bought our T@B.

The Escape Hatch (cute name):
    • is very lightweight
    • has heated water tanks with the off road / off grid package
    • includes 100W solar on top and connection for portable 200W (low-end Go Power PWM system) but has with plenty of roof space to scale up to 1000W of solar when upgrading controller and battery bank
    • dry bath
    • bigger (though still pretty small) tanks than our 320.
    • GVWR of only 3500... (UGW or dry weight is still TBD)
    • most importantly, finally a place to store the e-bike and kayak with easy access.  You might even be able to fit a small electric off road bike with a ramp in there (but not a motorcycle). I have a three wheel recumbent e-bike and would have to store it in a truck bed and get a camper top for security (am currently stowing it in back of station wagon)
    • I don't see any fins in the back of the fridge, so fingers crossed it may be a 12V and not absorption (blech!) fridge/freezer.
    • can't tell if the waste gates are enclosed or not
    • no idea if it's a torsion axle... looks too thin
    • cannot tell if windows are dual pane
    https://www.kz-rv.com/products/escape-travel-trailers/E17-HATCH.html

NüCamp, can you copy this hatch on the new 540 model?

edited October 2020
    The AirstreamBase Camp has a rear hatch, and the original model,had fold up seats to use thr area for bikes, kayak, etc.   Also check out Taxa, they have two models,with large rear hatches.
    cheers

• SkadiSkadi Member Posts: 6

I think you could add four feet to the 400 and have room for a sofa. It could fold out into a bed, giving you an extra one or maybe two person sleeping capacity. 
    edited April 2021
    Interesting idea, the fold,out sofa could connect with the dinette seats to make a large double berth, or two singles.  I think adding two feet in  front of the rear double bunk, would allow a twin/larger Queen bunk fore and aft, and adding two feet to the dinette, would give you sleeping space for 4 adults, or two adults and two children. 

The extended bunk area could also be setup as the Solo, but keeping the wardrobe locker, and extending the galley with the larger 2-way fridge, like the Solo model has. The bunk would then be a twin size single or pull,out for a RV queen, like the Solo setup.  

The extended dinette would then sit four, using the same layout it has now, just being two feet or so longer.  This would preserve the curved lines in the dinette, which is part of the TaB400 charm.
    cheers
  • SkadiSkadi Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2020
    Danny16, that sounds like a great configuration! I hope someone’s listening. 

DougH, I really love the bunk configuration with the sofa Murphy bed seen here: https://youtu.be/CJJIdAwPsME

That checks so many boxes for us. Except that the aesthetic of the trailer is awful. Beige swish, ugly valences, brown colored everything, cheap blinds that my kids will break in a week...gah. 
    And you loose the front window when the bed is up, no thanks.
    cheers

@Skadi I walked through one of these Murphy bed models at my local dealer this morning:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/app/floorplan/1019

Grand Design Imagine XLS 24MPR and loved it.

Enclosed gates with heated basement, dual pane window option, good tank size, a toy hauler garage separated by sliding glass doors from the rest of the RV.  Looks so much better in person than the pictures.

Almost pulled out my checkbook (does anyone still have one of those?) until I saw the 6200lb dry weight.  I'm about to copy @Denny16 and get a Jeep Gladiator in January, and that's just too much RV for a mid-sized truck.  Might even need a 250 to pull it in the mountains fully loaded. Not as cute as the Momentum 21G with all the pocket doors (also toured this morning) which weighs even more, but really liked the separated garage. Sigh. Still on the hunt for the perfect one... and as you mentioned, so many of these haven't adopted the modern Euro aesthetic of a nüCamp Avia or Lance 2075.

May have to find a used 3000-3500lb dry weight toy hauler and just redo the insides myself.