Options

Mounting location for solar charge controller?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of adding a Victron 30A charge controller and one or two suitcase panels. Curious where most people are mounting the controller - inside the T@b, or outside in the tub that holds the battery/propane? And if you mounted it in the tub, did you install some extra bracket, or did you drill into the tub sides?

Thanks in advance!

ps 2017 Max S here

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    As close to the battery as possible.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited July 2020
    @NateColo, we did not permanently mount our charge controller for our suitcases.  Instead, we used industrial strength velcro to mount it to the inside of the tub lid.  Keeps it out of the weather and easy to remove for travel.  We do not have the Victron, so I am not sure of any limitations with their device.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    When my panel is in use, the controller just sits inside the propane box.  If you mount it permanently to the side of the box, you might have issues with connecting/disconnecting the 4 wires that are needed to connect everything up.  (Using some sort of quick disconnect can avoid this issue if you mount it permanently).
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    There's a lot of experienced people on this forum but here's my 2 cents. Ideally you want the high battery charging currents to have minimum run so the tub is ideal. BUT, the WFCO (120V charger) and the T@B's installed solar charger are under the driver side bench. So existing high capacity wires already exist AND it's weather protected. I'm planning to mount my suitcase controller under the bench with my Smartshunt wiring. Besides unless you have a high voltage / power solar array, the power loss from the high current is not that much more than the solar panel's wiring to the controller. Mount it where it's easiest for you and use as big a diameter wire as you manage.

Note (I'm going off techy again) if there is any electrical instability with the controllers, having the longer wire runs from the battery is bad BUT I have not read of any of these concerns. Even in this case having all the controllers close together usually is better than having them spread around.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    NateColoNateColo Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. Sounds like inside the tub, closest to battery, is the way to go. I plan to permanently wire it and use a set of panel connectors on the side of the box as the quick disconnect.
  • Options
    if you want a permanent install, go with MarkAl’s suggestion, and mount it inside the TaB, nor sure how weather proof the controller is.  Mark has a good point about the bigger code wire back to the battery also.  My original suggestion was based on temp location while using it, but factory installation is in the a TaB.
    cheers
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2020
    Regarding weather resistance, I asked the dealer where I purchased our Victron, 'Remote Power Source' (Amazon)...
    They said:
    They have an IP43 rating:
    " protected against sprays of water from any direction " 
    (Not submersible)
    Also, there is a strain-relief & terminal cover available for the 75 & 100 controllers, that covers where the wires  enter the box.

Like this:

These bits made me feel that mounting it in the battery box shouldn't be a problem.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    With the wiring cover, that should work well in the Battery/Gas Tub.
    cheers
  • Options
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited July 2020
    Similar to what Sharon_is_Sam described above, I went for a modular approach. My controller is mounted in a box (a '70s vintage steel NFL lunchbox in my case) and is attached via MC4 pigtails in the tub. With this configuration I can stash the controller when not in use, and I can also still use my suitcase as a portable stand-alone charger.
    Either way, I agree the charger should be as close to the battery as possible to minimize voltage drop and maximize charging capability.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I forgot the solar lunchbox!  @sqrpeg , that is an impressive install.

Some more lunchbox examples.  I may have to do one of these: 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    These are really good solutions. If I add a second controller, it will likely be inside next to the factory installed one

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks again, folks. Kudos to all of you guys on the installs.
  • Options
    Follow-up: I went the easy route and mounted the controller to an aluminum plate, which was then mounted to the inside front of the tub using spacers and locknuts. Also reused that Zamp connector on the side of the tub for the input (100w Renology suitcase). It was very nice not having to worry about the battery this past summer and fall. 

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Sorry to be late for your discussion @NateColo, but I used @elbereth's idea here for an enclosure box inside the tub..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/102546#Comment_102546
    I clip the box to the tub frame when in use, but store it inside the trailer when not in use.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods