When do YOU stop T@bbing?

KB_TAB_T2KB_TAB_T2 Member Posts: 31
edited October 2020 in Camping & Travel
I want to camp/hike all through the winter here in Virginia but my wife says November/December is cut off until March-ish.
I figure we have heat/furnace access to electric in most or all state parks and plenty of campsites to choose from.

Thoughts?

This is our first year with a camper.  

Kristen and Bryan
2022 Nissan Frontier 4D 4x4. 2005 T@b T2 
Powhatan, Virginia (Just west of Richmond)
2 Canine traveling companions - Luke and Solomon

Comments

• dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    Your black tank and gray tank need to be protected from freezing.  That requires modification.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • KB_TAB_T2KB_TAB_T2 Member Posts: 31
    dlb said:
    Your black tank and gray tank need to be protected from freezing.  That requires modification.
    Fortunately/unfortunately we dont have either.

Kristen and Bryan
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    If you can find open campgrounds, with open toilets, you're fine in your Tab. We've camped at -5°F below zero, and were able to keep it cozy. Took a while to get it warmed up though.

Which Tab are you talking about?

You can count on the comfy bed, the Alde for heat, the stove for a quick coffee (I'm sure you'll do all your cooking on the campfire  B) )...

Add a side tent for room for gear - coats, boots, skis etc. Nice to have the extra room.

You can't count on water or plumbing. You can use the toilet with a bag, with kitty litter, or, better yet, the campground facilities.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The OP has a Dutchman TaB T2, it does not have a head, black tank or gray tank.  Water tank is a 5 gal jug with a hose under the sink counter.  Heat is a Atwood 200,000 BTU LP furnace with thermostat, no Alde, no hot water.  So he should stay toasty warm.  There is nothing to Winterize.  This was a camping trailer at its basic level, simple and functional.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    ChanW said:
    If you can find open campgrounds, with open toilets, you're fine in your Tab. We've camped at -5°F below zero, and were able to keep it cozy. Took a while to get it warmed up though.

Which Tab are you talking about?

You can count on the comfy bed, the Alde for heat, the stove for a quick coffee (I'm sure you'll do all your cooking on the campfire  B) )...

Add a side tent for room for gear - coats, boots, skis etc. Nice to have the extra room.

You can't count on water or plumbing. You can use the toilet with a bag, with kitty litter, or, better yet, the campground facilities.
    We have a 2005 T2
    We would mostly only camp state parks and campgrounds for now. Until we camp with the T2 a bit more and make sure there arent any issues we missed. 
    Kristen and Bryan
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Many state campgrounds do close for the winter. Be sure to check ahead of time. Other states parks keep one restroom open along with limited campsites open for the winter, along with limited availability of weatherproof water spigots. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • monamona Member Posts: 240
    Never. I winterize, and keep on camping. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited October 2020
    We will camp across the winter if it’s not consistently below freezing.  Here in Tennessee, the state park CGs are open, and some of the Federal CGs have some sections open.  I’m not sure what this Covid Winter will look like, but usually the CGs are empty in the winter.  It just means I may have to winterize/dewinterize several times.  We love winter camping!
  • jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 56
    For those of you with a cassette toilet, how do you “flush” after using it, without having water in your fresh water tank?  Put another way, how does one winter camp with a cassette toilet after winterizing?
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    jimrj said:
    For those of you with a cassette toilet, how do you “flush” after using it, without having water in your fresh water tank?  Put another way, how does one winter camp with a cassette toilet after winterizing?
    Assuming the cassette doesn’t freeze: (big assumption, we don’t know yet how well insulated that space is on a Tab) Use bottled water kept in a warm part of the rig.
    Assuming the cassette area may freeze: Flush with pink RV antifreeze (literally, do your business and wash down with approximately equal amount antifreeze)

With the above two options, you’re assuming you have a place to dump, which in winter is not guaranteed. Many dump stations close over winter, as do some campground bathrooms.

Alternatively, line the toilet with a double layer of bags, + a scoop or two of kitty litter, pine pellets, or poo powder (superabsorbent polymer that gels on contact with liquid). Tie off bags and dump in trash after a few uses, replace.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    just make sure you take any extra water inside your "toasty" trailer...luckily our water in the car didn't freeze but it was an oops for the coffee maker water..last January in Texas with our T@G!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Given I've camped in all seasons in a tent or a van, I see no reason to stop that with my T@B.  Just carry bottled water once the trailer has been winterized and there are multiple options for managing toilet needs without involving the built-in plumbing.  I think if you want to go, you will find a way to make it work!  However, towing a trailer in snow and ice might be a deal breaker for me.   ;)
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    PNWtabber said:
    Given I've camped in all seasons in a tent or a van, I see no reason to stop that with my T@B.  Just carry bottled water once the trailer has been winterized and there are multiple options for managing toilet needs without involving the built-in plumbing.  I think if you want to go, you will find a way to make it work!  However, towing a trailer in snow and ice might be a deal breaker for me.   ;)
    For me, it’s not just the snow and ice, it’s the set up and tear down in the cold rain we get in the NW all year round. I freely admit I’m a fair weather camper; as long as it remains dry, I’ll enjoy it. Once water starts falling from the sky in any form, meh, I’d mostly rather be at home. I can be persuaded out for a group camping event regardless of weather, but if it’s just me, no thanks.

For @KB_TAB_T2, something to consider is finding out *why* your wife has a cutoff date in mind. If she just thinks the trailer isn’t capable, it is, with some adaptation around the plumbing. But if she’s like me and doesn’t enjoy being outside in cold or wet weather, you may be better off with a different vacation alternative for the winter months. Making her go along on the kind of trip she won’t enjoy (and may actively hate) is not going to be a good idea. You might need to figure out a compromise. These trailers are TINY, being cooped up in one for days on end in stormy weather is not my idea of fun.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Four VA state parks with full service campgrounds are open year-round..
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/winter-camping
    ..plus a handful offer primitive camping, but not sure if those would be accessible for a trailer.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    BrianZ said:
    Four VA state parks with full service campgrounds are open year-round..
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/winter-camping
    ..plus a handful offer primitive camping, but not sure if those would be accessible for a trailer.

Thanks Brian I did see that and hope to take advantage of them this winter. 
    You ever winter camp?
    Kristen and Bryan
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @KB_TAB_T2, no, we never have, though have been camping in freezing temps for a few hours in NC mountains in late Oct & might see the same again this year.  We generally shut down & winterize in mid-Nov until April.
    Under "Camping Details" on this page, it specifically mentions only James River State Park as having drive-in primitive camping available..
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/camping
    ..and others with hike-in or canoe-in primitive sites.
    Here is a list of state parks with RV camping..
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/recreational-vehicles
    We've camped at all except two of these, which we will get to next week, plus one more that is not on the list - Breaks Interstate Park on the border with KY.  It is a partly state funded park, but jointly owned & managed with the state of KY, one of only two such interstate parks in the country.  So, after our next trip, we will have camped at all of Virginia's state parks that offer camping with our T@B, in just over 3 years.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    BrianZ said:
    @KB_TAB_T2, no, we never have, though have been camping in freezing temps for a few hours in NC mountains in late Oct & might see the same again this year.  We generally shut down & winterize in mid-Nov until April.
    Under "Camping Details" on this page, it specifically mentions only James River State Park as having drive-in primitive camping available..
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/camping
    ..and others with hike-in or canoe-in primitive sites.
    Here is a list of state parks with RV camping..
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/recreational-vehicles
    We've camped at all except two of these, which we will get to next week, plus one more that is not on the list - Breaks Interstate Park on the border with KY.  It is a partly state funded park, but jointly owned & managed with the state of KY, one of only two such interstate parks in the country.  So, after our next trip, we will have camped at all of Virginia's state parks that offer camping with our T@B, in just over 3 years.

Nice!

Our plan is to do the same with the state parks, with others thrown in.

We are booked in at Holliday lake for Halloween and fairy stone for Thanksgiving.

We are looking forward to many new outdoor experiences and meeting new people.

Thanks for the info
    Kristen and Bryan
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    I liked @ChanW comment on putting coats / boots outside with a side tent. This will be our first winter w/ the t@b but we've struggled w/ the coat/boot issue. We have an awning that we could use but how to hang the coats? Anybody have a source or work around for using the outside table extrusion to hold a pole for a coat rack?
    As to toilet as suggested we'll use antifreeze and find a place to store the water, probably a jerry can in the bath sink as we don't really use it except to store the toiletries. I've toyed w/ the idea to temporarily remove the sink pipe and put a catch basin there as it'll use the built in sink to wash up. We've only experienced 40 F temps so far but been very impressed with the Alde's quiet heating ability.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @MarkAl - we have some cheap, plastic suction hooks for light weight jackets, towels and raincoats that we stick to the passenger side of the TaB inside the tent.  There are some heavier suction hooks for winter gear that would work as well.  We use a double hook on our TaB bathroom mirror that holds up to just about anything.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    We plan to put wet boots and rain gear in the washroom, on a pole held between the towel hooks, (installed one by the shower head) to let them dry.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I love nice weather but I prefer camping in the off season and winter. Small to no crowds depending on season.  When there is snow, it's just a whole different beauty and perspective of nature. I've camped in minus 7 f and the tab is always  able to deliver toasty warmth.  I like to ski and snowboard but haven't  been in the last couple of years. I plan to go this winter with the tab in tow, I'm  61.
    @MarkAl, we're with @Sharon_is_SAM. Suction hooks. Ours are strong enough to hold our coats. We stick them on the plastic trim around the windows.
    I like @Denny16's idea about the use of the washroom.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    I must be using the wrong type of suction cups. My experience is unreliable. 
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have a couple of heavy duty Command Hooks on the outside of the trailer by the door. Great for jackets, raingear. They haven't moved in 13 years
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    edited October 2020
    I'll see if I can find what we have for you.

Edit:
    This is what we use. Looks like it's out of stock and will take some searching.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079LWUU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The little lever increases the suction.

These have had mixed reviews - but mine haven't had the problems that others have.
    MarkAl said:
    I must be using the wrong type of suction cups. My experience is unreliable. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya