Recommendations needed: travel air compressor

VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
NOTE: Viair 70p appears discontinued...at least, it’s been out of stock for a couple of months. Need alternatives under $125.

Long version: So, I have a 3 gallon pancake compressor at home, which is fine for winterizing there, but there's a reasonable chance I may be on the road at times this winter in variable weather conditions, and the pancake takes up too much space to haul around on the chance it’s needed. I’d like a more portable compressor so I can winterize on the fly as necessary, but I’m not sure what is out there that’s actually capable of doing the job. I use the “faucets closed, build pressure, open one faucet” method, not “open everything at once”, if that matters.

Are there certain specs or features I should look for? I always carry a small inflator in the car already that doesn’t have the power to handle winterizing but does fine for all the tires, so this literally will only be needed a few times a year at most.

Budget ~ $125 or less. This lets out the RV Viair models and the ARB. Prefer 12v, but will consider 120v as I can run it off the GZ Yeti if necessary. The often recommended Viair 70p hasn’t been in stock in any of the big box stores for a while now. I’m not sure if any of their other models under $100 are powerful enough to handle winterizing? Anyone tried another model (besides their RV ones?)

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
2020 Subaru Outback XT
Pacific NW

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I have the 70P, which on Amazon, at least, has been "unavailable" for months.   Looking at these the other day, the next step up is the 85p, which has a slightly higher CFM than the 70p.  My 70p works fine on 12V, and has a 10 foot long cord.  Did get a bit warm to the touch last year when I did my first "blowout".   It is small, and the whole package is about the size of a (small) shoebox.  Used it on my car tires the other day and it handled it quickly and easily. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    I just assumed I would need a compressor with a storage tank to blow out the lines. What's the minimum cfm for a portable/tankless unit to get the job done? 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
    People have used bike pumps to clear the lines.  Some people hear "compressor" and guess it means a big tank.  I don't have the space or the need for a large compressor with a tank.  A "tire inflator" is probably too small to do the job, but one of the smaller Viairs with a decent CFM rating can work. 
    Here is the thread that discusses it....

2017 Outback
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited October 2020
    I'm using this very reasonably priced Harbor Freight:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html
    Say what you will about HF quality, but this is a really nice tire inflator, that works for blowing out the T@B's lines if needed on the road.
    Plus it's readily available.
    Here is a TFL review of it vs. the similarly priced Amazon Basics inflator:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLOukUCNAg

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I did a quick search.  As Bob Fuss noted in a previous discussion, it’s the flow volume that counts.  Higher flows are delivered at lower PSIs.  So, I saw one report of a 2 gallon unit that provided 3.45 CFMs for a large rig.  My Viair 70p gives just over 1 CFM and is wimpy, but eventually does the job.  So, @VictoriaP - I would look at this with about 2 CFMS and very portable:

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I have that GSPSCN, but the one with preset pressure (digital).  Haven't had it long enough to judge reliability.  Only aired up a dozen tires so far.  Its not clear what the duty cycle is.  The documentation with the package said 8-15 , minutes use, followed by the same time of rest.  Elsewhere on Amazon or web it said 20 minutes.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    edited October 2020

Duracell Portable Emergency Jumpstarter with Compressor, 900 Peak Amps

On Amazon around $120 now. Great unit, rechargeable, jumper, air compressor, usb ports, led light. We never go camping without it.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ChrisFix said:
    I'm using this very reasonably priced Harbor Freight:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html
    Say what you will about HF quality, but this is a really nice tire inflator, that works for blowing out the T@B's lines if needed on the road.
    Plus it's readily available.
    Here is a TFL review of it vs. the similarly priced Amazon Basics inflator:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLOukUCNAg

Is this compressor regulated?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @VictoriaP
    I was facing this same question a few weeks back when looking for options.  I, like you, was initially drawn by the ViAir products, and ultimately decided to spend just a bit more than you have budgeted and ordered the ViAir 300P from Northern Tool + Equipment.  It arrived last week, but I had not realized that it had a tire inflator valve vs a quick release connection (yes, it IS truly meant for tires... surprise!!).  I had to spring about $20 more for a Schraider blow/out connector, as well as another pressure regulator to ensure limiting the PSI to 50 lbs or less.  All in all, with shipping and tax I spent about $190, so this probably doesnt help you much.  But I believe I now have a very well made, reliable, portable, and capable system to winterize whenever the need comes up.  It’s a point of security that makes me more confident to plan for outings any weekend of the year in Texas, and for me that was worth the cost.  There are other available options (most non-ViAir) out there that will work for lower cost, but for me the trade-offs seemed a touch less confidence inspiring... YMMV.  

BTW...I just did a double check of the unit I purchased from Northern Tool + Equipment, and it appears the price has gone up by $15.  Seems I might have got in just before the rush. So my set-up would now be $200+, so sorry if this provides zero help.

But in case you are curious, this is the link to the ViAir I purchased...
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200750740_200750740?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-SHIPPED-_-1206-_-CONF

And this is a link to the blowout connector with the Schrader Valve...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IX68O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And... this or a similar pressure regulator (for H2O, but should work for air as well)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VC5Q6XJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connections:  
    ViAir Compressor (hooked to car battery)—>ViAir Hose—>Schrader Valve Connector—>Pressure Regulater—>City Water Inlet on T@B.  

Proceed with Winterizing blow out method outlined in other discussion threads.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Please note that Viair only recommends the 400P-RV or 450P-RV for blowing out water lines. I suspect that is related to duty cycle and CFM. In other words using one of the less expensive Viair products may result in less than a satisfactory experience.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited October 2020
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Please note that Viair only recommends the 400P-RV or 450P-RV for blowing out water lines. I suspect that is related to duty cycle and CFM. In other words using one of the less expensive Viair products may result in less than a satisfactory experience.
    I daresay you’d be right if we were talking about a normal sized rig. But the 320 being as small as it is, I think, makes using a smaller compressor a more viable option than if we were talking about a class A or a fifth wheel.

That said, I’m continuing to research my possible choices.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Lhandley00Lhandley00 Member Posts: 10
    Just bought Viair 70p from Hornblasters.com for my T@Bcss for $69 including shipping and taxes.
  • TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    I am considering this for blowing out the water lineshttps://www.amazon.com/Airshot-1-15L-Tubeless-Inflator-Color/dp/B01BJ4MXQY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=airshot&qid=1603198906&sr=8-3

It is used to rapid inflate mountain bike tubeless tires.  You pump up the can with a bicycle pump, and then release the compressed air with a valve.  It gives a sharp, fairly low volume burst of air.  I don't see how the little 12 volt tire inflators can do the job.  They will gradually inflate a tire, but the process is so slow, there is no way to provide a water clearing burst.
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I think you are right that those are the recommended models for winterizing on the go.  As I mentioned in my above post, my 300P came without the quick connect hose that would enable the same connections I use when winterizing with my pancake compressor. The 400/450 both are fully compatible.   My 300p also comes only with 25 feet of hose, vs 60ft in each of those 2 more expensive models.  Bigger difference is that my 300p does not shut off automatically like the RV models when max pressure has been reached, so that means you must turn it on and off after pressurizing the line. Not a huge issue, but makes the winterizing feel like a job better suited for two than just myself, and is the biggest factor making me wonder if it might have been worth the jump to the 400.  However, both the duty cycle (33%) and the CFM (2.3) are on par with the 400P-RV, so it’s neither of those things.  It actually has higher CFM than the 450, which has only 1.8 CFM, but that enables the 450 to have 100% duty cycle for much longer runs without rest, something of nearly zero importance for my use.  

I think the 300 will still be just fine, especially if I use the idea I read in another thread and leave a dry length of regular H2O supply line attached to the T@B, then attach the pressure regulator, then the Schrader valve converter, then the compressor line, then the compressor.  If I do all that, I’ll have a much larger volume of pressurized air ready to burst through the line when I open each valve.  

Anyway... I’m going to try the ViAir method first this year, then hook up the pancake compressor and see if I get any more water out of the system.  That way I should be able to get a better feel for how much less effective the portable compressor might actually be.  

I am considering this for blowing out the water lineshttps://www.amazon.com/Airshot-1-15L-Tubeless-Inflator-Color/dp/B01BJ4MXQY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=airshot&qid=1603198906&sr=8-3

It is used to rapid inflate mountain bike tubeless tires.  You pump up the can with a bicycle pump, and then release the compressed air with a valve.  It gives a sharp, fairly low volume burst of air.  I don't see how the little 12 volt tire inflators can do the job.  They will gradually inflate a tire, but the process is so slow, there is no way to provide a water clearing burst.
    The idea with the 12 volt pumps is you hook them up to your system with every valve closed, then turn them on to pressurize the entire system, all the space in all the water lines running through the trailer.  Then, you open one valve at a time in the trailer to release the pressure, and that brings the water out with the pressure.  You have to re-pressurize between each valve release, but you repeat until all valves/lines have been done at least twice, or until you can get no more water out.

I would be curious as to how much air it takes to pressurize the system, and I kind of doubt your bike tire inflator has enough volume stored under pressure to release enough movement.  It might, and would definitely be an interesting test to see if it works.  I believe you are thinking of releasing it quickly from the inflator side like you can with a pancake compressor, but just a short burst of it.  I would be skeptical of how much that small tank could pressurize the entire system with that technique, but let us know as maybe its more than one might think.

I saw someone in another thread hooked up their blow out lines to the spare tire either on the trailer or the TV, and used that as the source of pressurized air.  It’s actually a brilliant idea, and I think would probably work depending on how much air flow you can get out of the valve on the tire.  You’d be limited to the pressure of the tire, which should be fine,  so It’s a very intriguing idea, as the tire could easily be reflated with any cheap 12 volt pump.  I think the bigger concern for me with that one is making my entire water system smell like the inside of a rubber tire.  Yuck.   But that may not be anymore of an issue than the inside smell of a pancake or portable compressor system.  I just don’t know.  

Anyway, I’ve inadvertently steered a bit away from the OP’s original post, so maybe I better stray no longer. Sorry all.

I don't have much experience with blowing out the lines.  But with the Viair 70P last year, I had nothing but water vapor coming from my faucets.  Verna has used a bike pump.  I'm not trying to inflate a blimp.  I'm trying to clear a very small water line that is less than 10 feet long. 
    2017 Outback
    @pthomas745
    Thank you.  My wife regularly gives me that same “it’s not a blimp” look when she reminds me how I overthink things like this.  Hahaha!

@ADRawli ;)I guess my comment did seem to have a "look" about it.......

2017 Outback
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Granted, your budget it "less than $125.00" but if you were able to afford it, this is a nice option also from Lippert.

https://store.lci1.com/floe

I have thought about it, but currently since we are not traveling extensively I don't need it. I can drain and winterize at home.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Dutch061 said:
    Granted, your budget it "less than $125.00" but if you were able to afford it, this is a nice option also from Lippert.

https://store.lci1.com/floe

I have thought about it, but currently since we are not traveling extensively I don't need it. I can drain and winterize at home.

Brad
    Interesting, but $$$
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL