Options

Is this a stupid idea for mounting solar?

Ok, so I had what I thought was a brilliant idea for mounting solar to the roof. I like the flexible permanent panels, but then you've got to be parked in a way that is conducive to the sun angle. The portable ones fix that, but I don't love the idea of having to store them inside. What about if I attach a solid panel to the roof with a full motion flat TV mount. That way it can swivel, tilt, etc to the correct angle.... Stupid, or brilliant ?  

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I have a solar suitcase arrangement.  I will move my panels several times a day to maximize the angle of the sun.  These are not subtle adjustments of a few degrees.  While your idea is creative and intriguing, I suggest you try using the panels on the ground first to determine if the TV mount would provide sufficient play to achieve your goal.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    I would be less concerned about the mount itself then about finding a suitably sturdy  location to attach it. The T@Bs lightweight aluminum framing may not be up to the task. The trailer frame itself is sturdier, but may not offer a adequately exposed location.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @NotYourGuy - I don’t think it is stupid, but I don’t know how necessary it is.  If your panel is on the rear of the TaB roof and it faces south, how much do you really need to tilt the panels to capture adequate charge?  I think @AldebaranJill has a very clean and practical install.  You also get the benefit of air flowing under the panel and shading of the TaB roof to reduce heat radiated through the roof as some owners with flexible mounted panels have noticed.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    @NotYourGuy

Mine are mounted to the roof for several years and I have two aspects for you to consider:

1. Try not to chase the sun. Unless you enjoy moving solar panels around while camping, the objective should be to set it and forget it. Depending on your location and season, it may or may not be even necessary to move. Again I speak from experience, not theory. In sunny clear skies in summer, you may have all the energy you need. In the dark rainy winter it won’t matter what angle you mount at. There is no one solution. But Solar Bob once told me never chase the sun, buy more panels, adjust usage, buy better batteries - but dont chase the sun. For a particular site and season, I either leave mine in travel position or raise to horizontal.

2. Wind. I have been in some really windy conditions, often after dark, in places with limited cell service, that came up without warning. You have to be sure (I did the math calcs) that your mounting will withstand strong (maybe 40 mph) winds. There is no way a TV mount will withstand that. 

I am attaching the three positions mine are at. Mostly I set horizontal when I first arrive at a campsite, unless the trailer rear is facing south. And in very special circumstances, I will set to tilt forward but this is not common, typically horizontal is more than adequate. 

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Thank you!! One of the best mods I every did. 😍
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    Great mod...and the picture of the Tab with mountain, cap cloud and lenticular is nice!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Mt. Rainer always looks good, from many angles.  This show with thenTaB is grand.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

@NotYourGuy
    We have the factory flexible panels (193-watts) mounted to the roof, and for spring, summer and early fall, provides enough energy to keep,the battery charged whilst boondocking.  We have a 200-amp AGM.  For late fall and summer deep,shade camping we got two 100-watt portable panels to use when the roof is in deep shade (partial shade in summer still keeps battery charged) or for late fall camping where more is better. 

Having the option is nice, roof mount takes care of 80% of our needs and the protable panels provide the needed energy for the other 20% requirements.  It is nice having both options.
    cheers
  • Options
    NotYourGuyNotYourGuy Member Posts: 16
    @AldebaranJill and others, thank you so much for input. I do so many random little "mods" around the house which never really matter if they are smart, because I can just change them on the fly. Thus, I now apparently need to be talked out of reinventing the wheel when trying to come up with new ideas for the Tab, so thank you! 

Also, are you towing that with a 2007 Legacy?!?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    Denny16 said:

@NotYourGuy
    We have the factory flexible panels (193-watts) mounted to the roof, and for spring, summer and early fall, provides enough energy to keep,the battery charged whilst boondocking.  We have a 200-amp AGM.  For late fall and summer deep,shade camping we got two 100-watt portable panels to use when the roof is in deep shade (partial shade in summer still keeps battery charged) or for late fall camping where more is better. 

Having the option is nice, roof mount takes care of 80% of our needs and the protable panels provide the needed energy for the other 20% requirements.  It is nice having both options.
    cheers
    Question about your portable panels: Are they stand-alone units with their own controllers (and connected directly to the battery) or do you connect them through  the controller on the T@B?

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @NotYourGuy, I do have a friend in Arizona who used about a 10’ pole from his teardrop’s tongue to a pole mount that held his 100 watt solar panel. The pole was a sturdy pole in two or three sections, and it did hold the solar panel securely. (I have not found photos of the pole and solar panel.)

I actually prefer my flexible panels as they require no special treatment (except to clean the dust from them), no campsite assembly required and they do charge the batteries during travel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @NotYourGuy
    2006  =) merging onto highways was very exciting.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    @CharlieRN, our portable solar panels do not have a controller, and use Anderson connectors.  We are added a second Victron 75/25 controller for the portable solar panels.  We had a sokar pane connector on the side of the TaB, which was connected to the battery, just cut this line added the Solar controller between the connector and the battery.
    cheers 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2020
    I’m pretty sure the tv style articulating brackets aren’t designed for exterior elements.  But if you checkout a few boat/sailboat related suppliers they have a variety.  I think I remember seeing a SolarStik arrangement mounted on a trailer tongue.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.