Got my 2014 T@B 320S yesterday - panic stations (lol)

I brought my beautiful little 2014 T@B 320S home yesterday. The RV dealer showed me all the features, but getting them to work myself is another story!
I almost went camping straight away, but it's a good thing I decided to get to know the trailer first, while plugged into electrical and still in my driveway.
I searched this forum, but I didn't find anything for an older model T@B like mine. Here are my questions (so far):
1) How does the little table collapse down? It has 2 sets of hinges and a spring. It looks like a finger guillotine, so I'm being extra careful. but it seems to be part of the bed platform, so it's kind of essential to figure out (photos attached)
(Later models seem to have a simpler table design, less prone to finger pinching)
2) Can I run the Alde heating while plugged into electric if the water tank is drained (for dry winter camping)? Does it also heat a boiler and will I run anything dry?
What settings do I use to run electric vs. propane heating? (photo attached)
Other than that, my only other 'panic' is around learning to back up, but that will come with time and practice.

2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2020
    @Mellow_Yellow, I have attached a couple documents that will help you out with backing up and towing.  Look at the end of the second document for the backing-up info on my list of towing tips.

I do not have any experience with the table you have, so I will leave that for someone who does.  I have the Alde 3020, so I will leave it to others to help you with the 3010 model.  However, you can heat the trailer without having any water in the Alde boiler tank.  It will run on electric, but again, I will leave it to others to discuss the specifics and settings for the Alde 3010 model.

If you did not receive a copy of the Alde 3010 manual, you should obtain one and review it carefully.  There is probably a copy in the 
    "User Manuals/PDF Files/Videos & Resources" folder on the left side of the main Forum page.  Lots of helpful stuff can be found in those folders.  If not, you should be able to find it on the Alde web site, or just Google "Alde 3010 manual."
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Thank you @Bayliss! I really appreciate your tips, links and encouragement!
    I should have mentioned: I have the Alde 3010 manual but I did not understand what setting (B, C, or D) to use for currently being plugged in and was worried about a boiler. Sounds like I should try 'B' and see if I get any heat after a few minutes.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2020
    @Mellow_Yellow, keep in mind that the Alde heater works by convection and takes some time to heat up the camper, so don't be concerned if it does not heat up in a few minutes.  It does not use a blower/forced air.  The glycol fluid heats up as it circulates through metal convectors and the heat rises up from those and into the cabin area.  Once it starts heating the inside of the trailer, you will love it.  Nice and cozy.

P.S.  I agree with setting it at the "B" setting as described in the User Manual since you are plugging in at home, presumably with a 15 or 20 amp electrical outlet and may be using other electrical items as well.  When you are hooked up to a 30 amp outlet (e.g., at an RV park) you can bump it up.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

edited November 2020
    Thank you so much @Bayliss - I also confirmed 'B' in a 2014 TAB Maxx manual:
    "To run the Alde on shore power only, move the left lever to B, C, or D. The difference between B and C is how much current is used by the Alde.
     If running from a normal residential power source, use ONLY “B” otherwise the power cord will heat up. There are some reports that US power systems cannot fully use the “D” setting because our power voltage is 110, not 220"
    I'll try it out tomorrow during "driveway camping - day 2"!
    Still hunting through manuals for info on that pesky table...
  • PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    That table gave me fits for a year until I put tape and arrows to show me where to push. Our table has the spring side facing the kitchen wall. There’s a little clip to lift up and then push in the direction of the arrows. Dennis
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
    Roger that @Pintoplumber
    Many thanks! So relieved that I'm not the only one stumped by the *$(@% table!
    Can't wait to try it out during tomorrow's driveway camping :)
    Do you like the table? Would you prefer a simpler one? or is it nice to have it out of the way while sleeping?
    Oh and: here is tonight's driveway camping sunset (can you believe this is a 2014? look how shiny it is!)

• PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    Now that I know how to collapse the table, it’s fine. Dennis 
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    My 2013 came with that table and it was the first thing that I took out of the trailer. It’s just a pain. You can use boards to make up the bed and there are great folding tables that you can use inside or outside. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The little yellow button that you see on the front of the single leg, push to the right and it will click. Then the table legs can fold, as the tabletop drops to the bed position.
    Many people don't like the table because it's unwieldy. We still use it because it's so sturdy, and works well at the campsite as an outdoor table. Sometimes we'll leave it home and simply use planks for that part of the bed.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited November 2020
    @Mellow_Yellow - here is the Alde 3010 manual.  Pg 17 has the analog instructions.  
    If you use both electric heating elements it will draw 15 amps or so and may trip a circuit depending on where you have it plugged in at home.  So, B, E, I are your settings with or without water in the Alde.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/iz/x9ylh4kf7fz5.pdf
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Thank you so much @Bayliss - I also confirmed 'B' in a 2014 TAB Maxx manual:
    "To run the Alde on shore power only, move the left lever to B, C, or D. The difference between B and C is how much current is used by the Alde.
     If running from a normal residential power source, use ONLY “B” otherwise the power cord will heat up. There are some reports that US power systems cannot fully use the “D” setting because our power voltage is 110, not 220"
    I'll try it out tomorrow during "driveway camping - day 2"!
    Still hunting through manuals for info on that pesky table...
    The electric heaters in North American Aldes are configured differently from those in Europe. This has created a great deal of confusion with regard to older analog (slider) controls such as those in your T@B.

In the US and Canada, positions B and C are effectively the same, and either can be used with a 15 amp circuit. Position D will overload a 15 amp circuit but can be used with a 20 amp circuit.

These things are dictated by the capacity of your house circuits. So long as you are using a standard 30 amp RV cable, the power cord has nothing to do with it.

If you want to learn more about the differences between NA and European Aldes, see my comments in this discussion.  
    2015 T@B S
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited November 2020
    Scott G had a great summary of how easy the manual panel is to work in this thread from oh, so many years ago.
    "I'm not really sure why this little panel gives so many people fits--maybe it's the peculiar way the instructions are presented in the manual.

"FWIW, here's how I approach operating the Alde (with help from Charlie Papazian):

SLIDER 1: If shore power is available, use this to turn on the electric heating elements. US and Canadian Aldes have two identical elements; you can turn on one (I), the other (II), or both (III). Turning on both heats things faster, but it will work no matter what you do. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!
    SLIDER 2: If shore power is not available, use this to turn on the propane burner. Relax, don't worry about the lightening bolts, have a homebrew!

SLIDER 3: Once you have selected your power source, use this to turn on the room heat and hot water, or just the hot water alone. Relax, don't worry about why there is not a "room heat only" setting, have a homebrew!
    DIAL THINGY: If you've turned on the room heat, use this to adjust the temperature (just like the thermostat in your house). If you can still still find the homebrew, crack open another, kick back, and enjoy the warmth.
    Now the digital panel, I think THAT would give me fits!  :-)"

Here is the thread: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3347/alde-panel/p1

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Thanks everyone. I’m learning so much - right here in my driveway! And so far, I love everything about my T@B!
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @Mellow_Yellow ;
    If you find the Adle User manual a bit confusing . . .
    I found a  Brief Overview for Regular Folks on an older rental unit web-site.

It is a picture file, have attached the file as it is larger than Forum Posting size guidelines.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    edited November 2020
    Thanks, @MuttonChops, I'd forgotten all about the "RDWHAHB" discussion!

As for that rental unit literature, it--just like the 2014 T@B Maxx manual @Mellow_Yellow originally quoted--is also wrong. North American Aldes have lower wattage heaters than their European counterparts. This allows them to be operated at 120 volts (even both of them at the same time) without exceeding 20 amps of current. Contrary to those sources, you absolutely can use the three lighting bolt setting so long as you have at least 20 amp service.

This has been insightful, however. With at least two published sources (including one from LG/PV/nuCamp) providing false information, it's no wonder the analog controls have been such a bugaboo for so long. 
    2015 T@B S
    And as for your question regarding the old style "elevator" table...

I think it is a clever dual-duty design, despite being a bit bulky. That said, I promptly moved mine to the garage and replaced it with a homemade slat system. We rarely take up the bed anyway, and the slats open up a lot of premium storage space under the bed that would otherwise be filled by the table legs.

As an added bonus, on the rare occasions when we do set the benches up, a few slats make for a very functional coffee table.  :-)

2015 T@B S
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    edited November 2020
    As others have said, once you figure out how to fold the table drag it out and store it somewhere.  Go with the slat system for the bed.  If there are two of you and you don't want to be "cozy" you could go with the twin bed set up.  That prevents you from having to be a world class contortionist to get up and over a partner in the middle of the night when nature calls.

We got a light weight adjustable folding plastic table from Aldi in the spring.  I don't think they carry them year round.  

It's easy to set up, light weight, and rain proof so you can take it outside.

It's similar to this one except it was black, more rectangular and less expensive

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074HYWFG/ref=twister_B07TF9T4R4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Amazon has a huge amount of tables that are a lot easier to move, use than that monstrosity that came with the T@B
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    Thank you so much @ScottG and @Tampakayaker. I definitely see some benefits to using slats instead of the bulky spring table. It’s a clever design but awkward, heavy and takes up valuable space! 
  • ladybug9ladybug9 Member Posts: 1
    I hate the table.  Lucky for me, it is only me and I don't need a table.  I put it in the garage.