Options

passengers while towing

I know this is not a great idea and I intend to NOT do this, but I have to go a short distance 30-40 miles with more people and dogs than I can carry in my tow vehicle.  I'm pretty sure it is legal in California to let someone ride in the trailer while towing, but not 100% positive.  If I have no other option, I will convert the table to a bed and let one person and one dog ride back there if legal.  

My other option is to tow the trailer, drop it off, and then drive back to get the additional people and dogs.  But that is an additional 40-80 miles and I'm only going for the weekend. 

Comments

• Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    dont do it. simple as that. it does not matter if it is legal or not, it is very dangerous. for a short distance like that either make 2 trips or have a chase care
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    Wow, just because it is "legal" doesn't mean it is a good idea.  I wouldn't do it, myself.  Get an Uber for the additional passengers?
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    only legal with 5th wheels, not bumper pulls.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    What a great idea! I wonder if I can get the rents and the in-laws to go for a ride? Oh baby, turn on the propane, crank up the tunes, put about 90 pounds of air in the tires and let er rip. Sounds like a total hoot! Hang on, were about to get on the freeway.... =)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2020
    There you go, not legal in Calif.  A specially equipped (commercial) fifth wheel trailer, is:
      According to California Vehicle Code, “
     Subdivision (g) [g states passengers are not allowed in RV trailers, boa trailers, etc] does not apply to a trailer coach that is towed with a fifth-wheel device if the trailer coach is equipped with safety glazing materials wherever glazing materials are used in windows or doors, with an audible or visual signaling device that a passenger inside the trailer coach can use to gain the attention of the motor vehicle driver, and with at least one unobstructed exit capable of being opened from both the interior and exterior of the trailer coach,” CVC.

So specially equipped is a 5th wheel RV with the above safety features added to it.  Still, not a good idea in my book.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    No
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The poor dogs wouldn’t have any idea of what was going on....and the humans wouldn’t either. A quick stop....just think of how many things a person could hit. A definite NO!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    I saw a YouTube video of someone riding a short distance in a Scamp.  It wasn’t pretty.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Does Lucy try cooking while Desi is driving in the "Long Long Trailer"? Is there a scene before her canning project and rock garden "shift".
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Picture "Over Niagara Falls in a barrel".
    As long as everyone is strapped in and suspended with enough bungee cords they might survive.  =)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    Lucy does try to cook with the trailer in motion.  This is how she ends up.  Can't find a video out there.  She is about to smack Ricky with the cake she has in her left hand.....

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Yeah, law, but safety first! They don’t call RVs “rolling earthquakes “ for nothing!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Let’s also note here that aside from those folks that won’t fit because you don’t have enough seats, you may not be able to safely carry a full car’s worth of passengers while towing anyway. You need to look up what your vehicle payload is, and then start doing the math. Every person’s weight, every dog’s weight, any cargo on top of or inside the car, plus the actual loaded trailer tongue weight...it ALL counts towards payload. 

If there’s another driver available, split the load into two cars. If there isn’t another car, rent one. If there isn’t another driver, then yes, you need to make multiple trips.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Properly equipped may mean equipped with approved seat belts.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    No. Just no. Period. No further explanation or justification required. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    it simple to google its simple to google the DOT statutes per state.
    But legal or not it stupid.  Just checkout YouTube “towing fails”.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    In South Carolina (I think) it's legal. So I thought I'd try it! My DW promised to stop when I called her on my cell...

I made it about a block (at only about 30mph!) I couldn't dial the phone quick enough! 

It's completely not confidence-inspiring!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    So, to summarize, the answer is..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuiNmZEO60s
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    ChanW said:
    In South Carolina (I think) it's legal. So I thought I'd try it! My DW promised to stop when I called her on my cell...

I made it about a block (at only about 30mph!) I couldn't dial the phone quick enough! 

Nope not legal.  Most all states it’s not.  Google can be your friend.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/passengers-in-campers-504228
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Well good! 🤔
    Scary!

GatorEgg said:
    ChanW said:

Nope not legal.  Most all states it’s not.  Google can be your friend.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/passengers-in-campers-504228

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya