Carbon Monoxide Detector Question

I have a 2019 T@B 400 with a Atwood carbon monoxide detector.  The detector, with the green lamp on, emits one chirp every 40 seconds or so. Is this normal or do I have a problem?    

Comments

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    It should not be chirping...try holding the reset to stop it. If it continues to chirp after a reset you may have a low 12 volt. What is the charge level on your battery?
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Agree. I don't have the manual handy but IIRC that is a fault code of some sort. Low battery voltage would the first and easiest thing to check.
    2015 T@B S
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    @TaiKahn, this is what the Atwood user's manual states:

"The audible indicator has two distinct functions:  Alarm and Fault.  In the "Alarm" function, for the CO the alarm will sound four "beeps" in 1 second followed by 5 seconds of silence, after 4 minutes of alarming, silence will last for 1 minute.  For the LP the alarm will sound six "beeps" in 1 second continually.  In the "fault" function, the alarm will last for 1 minute.  In the "Fault" function, that alarm will sound a "chirp" once every 40 seconds until the fault is cleared."

The manual also states, "Fault Mode.  This mode indicates that a fault has been detected that compromises some alarm function."  . . . . "This mode will be exited automatically when the fault is cleared.  If the fault persists, the alarm is not functioning properly and must be replaced to ensure your safety in the area."

Unfortunately, I do not see anything about how to "clear" the fault.  However, try pressing the "TEST" button until the alarm sounds, and then release the button.  The detector will sound three times.  The LED will flash red and should then display a flashing green light every 8 seconds.  If so, that probably will have cleared the fault.

If that does not work, I suggest that you contact Atwood (1-866-869-3118.)  If the device is defective, they should replace it at no cost.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Whatever you do, NEVER camp without a working alarm, a couple and their dog just died about 100 miles from where I live. Lots of hits if you search on camping deaths from carbon monoxide. https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/11/2-dead-in-camper-trailer-near-the-dalles-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-suspected.html
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • TaiKahnTaiKahn Member Posts: 5
    I want to thank everyone who replied with helpful comments. I promise to pay your kindness and generosity forward. From your comments I learned that the chirping indicates that the detector has entered the "Fault" mode. I confirmed that the voltage is adequate voltage.  Also I pressed the reset/test button. The chirping continues. The dealer from which I bought the RV contacted nuCamp. nuCamp has agreed to send me a new detector unit. I hope that replacing the unit stops the chirping.  Thank you again. 
  • KentsbKentsb Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2020
    I am having to replace my detector also. Can anyone tell me what screwdriver head is required. None of my star drivers fit. I have a new 2021 320 CSS.

52 nights
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Kentsb, you will need a square drive (or Robertson) bit, probably a #2, for 99.9% of the screws in your T@B. If you have a selection with star bits, it may also have the square drive bits also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna said:
    @Kentsb, you will need a square drive (or Robertson) bit, probably a #2, for 99.9% of the screws in your T@B. If you have a selection with star bits, it may also have the square drive bits also. 
    It is not a Robinson head.

52 nights
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Kentsb, wow!  Highly unusual. Can you post a photo?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I will post a pic. tomorrow.

52 nights
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @Kentsb
    I replaced my CO detector on a 2021 400, and it was square drive screws holding it in place.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    Must be #1 as my #2 clearly did not fit.

52 nights
    Confirmed #1 square. Thanks to all with help.

52 nights
    ChrisFix said:
    @Kentsb
    I replaced my CO detector on a 2021 400, and it was square drive screws holding it in place.

Chris,

Why did you replace your detector?

52 nights
  • kwarekware Member Posts: 1
    Where do I find a replacement ?  
    I got mine from NuCamp directly. Mine was warranty.

52 nights
  • sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2023
    I replaced the Atwood with a Safe-T-Alert 45-742 from Home Depot online. The screw holes don't align, but it fits well in the cutout.
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    It's been an unusual summer in SW New Mexico. Two spates of heat dome. Even retreating to 10,000+ ft. elevation with trailer was not in the cards. To ease heating inside the trailer, we opened the door and pulled the screen closed before dawn and closed it back up after sunset. We are planning to get back out after Labor Day.
    About 10 days ago the Atwood CO/Propane detector was chirping (indicating fault) pre-dawn. An hour later, green light back on and fault had presumably cleared.
    Checked Victron and always 100% SoC. This same pattern happens on some, but not all, days.
    Propane tank level has not budged off of 100%. Leak in system unlikely. No obvious source of CO. It could be the detector is tired and randomly entering fault mode? Any other diagnosis? Do not want to discover the hard way with 2:00 a.m. chirping while camping. Thanks for any comments. Meanwhile, I will be checking out where to purchase replacement.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Well, that is weird. Thread led me to believe detector is Atwood. It's actually  "Safe RV CO and Propane Gas Alarm". In the words of Emily Litella: "Nevermind"!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Here is a link to the RV Safe "manual".  Look closely at the pattern of lights and beeps.  They are trying to tell you something. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    What I don't think has been mentioned above is that this type of CO alarm only last around five years and then needs to be replaced. When it gets to it's end of life it will give a fault warning. When you pull it check to see if there's a date stamped on it. Four years is a little early but that is most likely the problem.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks to this thread, I checked the Atwood LPCO detector in our T@B built in May 2017 and found the detector was built in Sep 2016.  The manual that came with it states a 7-year life, which I believe is programmed by the manufacturer.  So, rather than wait for an alarm to go off next month, I'm replacing it now with an "exact match"-looking one found on Amazon..
    Dometic Dual LPCO Combination Alarm (White)
    https://a.co/d/9D8Sicr
    It states a 10-year life expectancy. 
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Good thinking @BrianZ.  I may do the same.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2023
    To follow up on my above-mentioned Amazon order, what I received was not the 10-yr Dometic brand shown, but the same Atwood model that I'm replacing.  At first I was disappointed, since the Atwood model has only a 7-yr life and the manufactured date sticker was 2-28-2022. 
    However, I decided to keep it when I realized that the lifetime depends on actual usage time (I read that this may be due to an internal rechargeable battery).  Moreover, in 7 years I'll be 80, so not sure I'll still have the strength & flexibility that it takes to maintain & use our T@B (or the memory? ;) ).
    TIPS:
    ⚠️ Beware that upon completing installation & restoring power, expect to see a flashing green power light that may make you think there is a problem and want to reconnect the old still-working unit (which did the same thing!).  Just give it a few minutes, and it will return to the normal steady green light.  I'm guessing this may be due to the rechargeable internal battery needing to acquire some initial level of charge before all systems are go.
    ⚠️Removal: 
    To remove the mounted alarm, first "remove cover flange from alarm by inserting a flat blade screw driver into the middle slot at the top of the flange and pry down to lift the flange off the alarm."  Then remove the 4 screws at corners.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • glesieutreglesieutre Member Posts: 12
    This thread was very helpful. My original Atwood model must have reached end-of-life, thankfully in my driveway and not on the road. I also ordered the Dometic and received the Atwood. Fairly straightforward installation, I should perhaps have shortened the wires more than I did, but secured the extra length with cable ties. 
    2015 T@B S-Max towed by 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R -- central Pennsylvania
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, 1869