Options

New Wood/ RV smell - how long to go away?

TenTabTenTab Member Posts: 4
edited November 2021 in Trailer & Towing
We purchased our 2021 Tab 400 BL this year and took delivery about a month ago, we went with NuCamp because of the quality materials and trailer size.  My wife has a lung disease and is chemical/odor sensitive.  We have been airing it out as much as possible over the last month, but due to rain had to close it up completely last night.  This morning when opening there was a strong odor still in the camper.  

Looking to get a rough idea on how long it takes for the offgasing/odor to diminish?  Also, any tips to speed up the process?

The sooner we get it clear the sooner we can go camping! 

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited July 2020
    Oof, that’s a tough one. Mine’s a year old and still smells new, though not acrid. I think the sharpest part of the “new car smell” was gone in a few months.

Generally speaking, outgassing takes 6 months or longer, which is why buying used is typically recommended for the chemically sensitive. It happens faster when the vehicle is hot, so leaving the trailer open, with the fan on high, in direct sunlight is one way to speed things up. Steam cleaning all the upholstery would likely help too (check with nuCamp beforehand to make sure it won’t be ruined). At a minimum, I’d pull all cushions and the mattresses out to air for several days, as foam tends to outgas pretty badly. 

An ozone machine specifically designed to remove odors may be your quickest option, but read up on that thoroughly before attempting it, as ozone has its own risks, especially for lung patients.

Some other tips and more details here. https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-New-Car-Smell 
    And here (Older, but still useful): https://www.environmentalhealth.ca/summer07reducingcarsmell.html
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2020
    If you are in a humid area, a dehumidifier might help.  I used this and a ozone unit to clear out a freshly painted bedroom, and to speed up the paint curing, it also helped eliminate the resulting odors.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Is it plugged in so you can run the vent fans while the TaB is closed up?  Crack the windows, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, it is plugged in and I am running the vent fans and have windows open unless its really raining.
  • Options
    @Denny16 what ozone machine did you use and is this okay to use in a camper?
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    TenTab said:
    @Denny16 what ozone machine did you use and is this okay to use in a camper?
    Given your wife’s lung condition, ozone may well make things worse if not used correctly. PLEASE consider having a well-reviewed professional service handle your trailer, and make sure there’s a written guarantee of their work. It’s incredibly easy to overdo ozone when you DIY, and you may cause a new outgassing problem that is as bad as the first.

Many posts of people’s experiences with this: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2284986/smell-left-from-an-ozonator
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I just used the Ozone unit for a few days after the paint dried, I did not use or sleep in the room whilst the ozone us it was in it.  After the ozone, the room was open and aired out for several days of nice weather.

You can use the Ozone unit to help clear out outgassing smells, but so Not use the trailer when using the ozone unit.  The O3 generated just helps the new materials to finish out-gassing quicker, and get rid of the resulting smells from lingering.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    OneotaOneota Member Posts: 17
    For the out gassing of new construction materials (such as formaldehyde) try putting a bowl of ammonia on the floor.  The ammonia will chemically interact and eventually what remains in the bowl is water.  Repeat this until what remains smells (and is) ammonia.
    Of course, ventilate well before camping.  Good luck.  We've had similar issues.
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    18 months with my 320, and the "new" smell is just about gone.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite