Happy New Year! Camping in 2021

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
edited January 2021 in Camping & Travel
Happy New Year, camping friends!!

Who has plans for 2021, already?

I think with the vaccine, the light may be at the end of the tunnel for a fall trip to 🇨🇦,  so I am holding out hope. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited January 2021
    We hope to re-create our late summer trip that we cancelled last fall.  Nebraska, Custer State Park, Colorado front Range, Mesa Verde area.  We added the Bryce area in Utah because we are not sure if Chaco Culture area will still be closed.  Fingers crossed.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    We hope to re-create our late summer trip that we cancelled last fall.  Nebraska, Custer State Park, Colorado front Range, Mesa Verde area.  We added the Brice area in Utah because we are not sure if Chaco Culture area will still be closed.  Fingers crossed.  
    I have a feeling, and just a feeling, that proof of vaccine will become like a golden ticket.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Here in TX it's confusing. My county's public health department says I qualify for Phase 1B vaccination. But 100-1000 doses at a time are being allocated to a variety of doctor's offices, pharmacies, urgent cares, hospitals, and some public services. The local paper will say Main Street Pharmacy has 500 doses, but if they even have a registration / sign up process, it's always shut down already as tens of thousands try to sign up. A local fire department got 3,000 doses, found a gymnasium for doing the vaccination, but they couldn't get a registration system to use, so it was first come first served. Very long lines of elderly in a week with weather in the 30s to low 40s with rain. Not healthy. I wish the process was being better managed at the state or county level, but they probably don't have the staff and IT department resources to take that job on.  So it's pretty chaotic, with 60-90 year olds all trying to register in multiple places, with the hope that they'll get in somewhere in the next couple months.

Still camping in isolation while waiting for the jabs, but what's the vaccination process been like for everyone in other states?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    So far, we’re planning on T@Bazona in March, uCamp in June and T@Borado in July, filling in some of the gaps in between. Whether any of these events will actually take place is still a big question - fingers crossed!
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • monamona Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2021
    Heading out to do some winter camping on Monday🙂  Only definite plan on the books, for right now, is uCamp. 

jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    I"m also hoping for Canada, but expecting to have to stick to the North East and hopefully the Adirondacks.

I did, however, book a week in September at Assateague Island to surf and fish.  Can't believe how quickly that place fills up.
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Happy New Year to All!

We're hoping to visit the Midwest and Atlantic states again this year.   
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    Happy New Year to all. We are hoping for a late spring or early summer trip through Northern New Mexico and Arizona then up to Northern California. But that could get pushed to later summer or fall or Winter or 2022. 
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    We typically don't plan too far ahead, so it's usually not an issue for us. This year, we my have the ability to "expand our horizons" and begin to travel for a few  weeks at a time instead of a few days here and there. Not sure how much the vaccine will be the magic key in the USA but you can rest assured that it will become mandatory to leave the USA before the end of 2021. Although I would like to make 1 more trip to southern Germany, it is not enough of a desire to sway me to get the vaccine. 

I would suggest that you do your own in depth research as to the overall effectiveness of vaccinations throughout history, this will allow you to make an educated decision rather than using fear or the hype of the media and Big Pharma.

Brad  
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Well... we're hoping for the border to open as we have planned/committed to 3 U.S. bound trips, meet & greets (rallies)...if the border remains closed we'll be staying home..and if that happens I hope that some of the other provinces are a little easier on whom can travel into their province..if not we have some beautiful Provincial Park s that we have not visited..and there's always the back 40!..more practise time with our new setup!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I haven't made specific plans yet (just got my T@B in September 2020), but my goal is to get out camping at least once per month.  I never got  to do my annual Oregon coast trip in 2020, so that is high on my priority list for 2021.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    For winter and spring, here on beautiful Vancouver Island, there are a few provincial parks where I can camp in 'winter mode'. I might even try a few RV parks, which would be a first! In late spring/summer, I would love to drive through British Columbia to visit the National Parks in the Kootenays and Rockies.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited January 2021
    For 2020, enjoyed several trips around CA and AZ for a long weekends and up to 10 days.

In early October I hooked up Otto and headed east...as far east as I could go while staying "in the South." Thirteen states, 7+ weeks, 8500mi (+/-). Incredible adventure and killed thousands of pixels in the process. Still haven't gone through all the images. Good winter-time project. In all, just under 11,000 miles and 75 nights. A solid start to "T@Bbing." And I did see a couple T@B owners during the journey. One parked two spot away for a night (he was not a member of this forum)...another eastbound on I-20 in Texas. Also saw at least two semi-loads of T@B's headed to dealers somewhere out west. If you're waiting on one, hope it's yours!

For 2021, first up is bilateral knee replacement in February. That'll keep me home and hobbling around until mid-May or so. Argh...but it has to be. Chose to do both at same time. Bit more difficult recovery but when it's done...it's done. 

After that, I've not made specific plans but much will depend on two things...my recovery and my air boss gig. I'm hopeful I'll get back to the airshow circuit which will keep me busy from mid-June through early Oct. So trips of any length will have to wait until fall.

The VA has established a vaccination protocol and other options here through healthcare providers, pharmacies, etc. so I'll be watching how that develops. Still undecided about the vaccine but will consult with surgeon next week about options and timing. I haven't heard of major issues with vaccine distribution here but mostly likely they're out there. 

Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, and happy New Year. May the best you enjoyed in 2020 be the least you enjoy in 2021! Happy Trails, Folks.

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

For winter and spring, here on beautiful Vancouver Island, there are a few provincial parks where I can camp in 'winter mode'. I might even try a few RV parks, which would be a first! In late spring/summer, I would love to drive through British Columbia to visit the National Parks in the Kootenays and Rockies.
    I drove the Kootenay from Radium Hot Springs to Field, BC when I visited Banff. Gorgeous.

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Here is our plan for T@Bazona if California opens back up.

If California doesn't open up, we have an alternate plan

After that, have no clue, probably several long weekends here and there.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited January 2021
    @Mouseketabh...I think you stay at KOA’s. If so, here’s some hints as I stay in there occasionally, not as much as in the past. 

Shreveport—the last time I was there, the water was mildewy tasting and smelling. It was after a lot of rain and flooding. 

Las Cruces — try to get a site on the side of the park overlooking the lights of Las Cruces. It was interesting. 

I can’t tell if the Little Rock KOA is the same I stayed at. It was nice, a bit close on sites, but very friendly staff and seasonal campers.  

Halfway between Odessa and Pecos, TX, is Monaghan’s Sandhill State park. There are about 26 sites, water and electric and a dump station near the restroom. This is Sunny’s favorite state park!  She plays in the fine white sand as though it was warm snow!  A few years ago, I drove 500 miles in one day so she would have two days to play in the sand.  Nice restrooms. 

South of Amarillo, TX, Palo Duro State Park is like a small Grand Canyon, but you are down in the canyon camping. Water and electric sites, with a dump station. In April 2019, I saw turkeys galore. The males strutting their stuff, trying to woo the dozens of hens with the tail feather displays, deer near the campsite, and lots of migrating birds. I haven’t used the showers since my first stay there in my teardrop in 2013. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna said:
    @Mouseketabh...I think you stay at KOA’s. If so, here’s some hints as I stay in there occasionally, not as much as in the past. 

Shreveport—the last time I was there, the water was mildewy tasting and smelling. It was after a lot of rain and flooding. 

Las Cruces — try to get a site on the side of the park overlooking the lights of Las Cruces. It was interesting. 

I can’t tell if the Little Rock KOA is the same I stayed at. It was nice, a bit close on sites, but very friendly staff and seasonal campers.  

Halfway between Odessa and Pecos, TX, is Monaghan’s Sandhill State park. There are about 26 sites, water and electric and a dump station near the restroom. This is Sunny’s favorite state park!  She plays in the fine white sand as though it was warm snow!  A few years ago, I drove 500 miles in one day so she would have two days to play in the sand.  Nice restrooms. 

South of Amarillo, TX, Palo Duro State Park is like a small Grand Canyon, but you are down in the canyon camping. Water and electric sites, with a dump station. In April 2019, I saw turkeys galore. The males strutting their stuff, trying to woo the dozens of hens with the tail feather displays, deer near the campsite, and lots of migrating birds. I haven’t used the showers since my first stay there in my teardrop in 2013. 
    Actually, my parks are all set, but thanks for tips!!
    Meridian East / Toomsuba KOA
    Shreveport/Bossier City KOA
    The Vineyards Cabins and Campgroun
    Palms of Paradise RV Park
    Hacienda RV Resort
    Tucson/Lazydays KOA
    Verde Ranch RV Resort
    Verde Ranch RV Resort
    Verde Ranch RV Resort
    Indian Waters RV Resort & Cottages
    Paradise By The Sea RV Resort
    Las Vegas RV Resort
    Las Vegas RV Resort
    Quail Creek RV
    Quail Creek RV
    Grand Canyon Railway RV Park
    Grand Canyon Railway RV Park
    Lavaland RV Park
    Oasis RV Resort
    Twin Fountains RV Resort
    MILLER'S OUTPOST RV Park & Camping Resort
    EZ Daze RV Park
    EZ Daze RV Park
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You’re welcome. Just watch the Shreveport/Bossier City KOA for the water if they have floods before you get there. Have fun, too!  The restroom and showers were recently updated and were nice....but I can’t remember if that was 2014/15 or later. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna said:
    You’re welcome. Just watch the Shreveport/Bossier City KOA for the water if they have floods before you get there. Have fun, too!  The restroom and showers were recently updated and were nice....but I can’t remember if that was 2014/15 or later. 
    We'll make sure to bring a couple of jugs of water just in case.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • WayfaringStrangersWayfaringStrangers Member Posts: 18
    @MischiefBrewing can recommend some good spots in the Adirondacks?
    jkjenn said:
    I drove the Kootenay from Radium Hot Springs to Field, BC when I visited Banff. Gorgeous.
    @jkjenn Did you stop at Marble Canyon? It's one of my favourite places to hike and camp.
    jkjenn said:
    @jkjenn Did you stop at Marble Canyon? It's one of my favourite places to hike and camp.
    I didn't, but was actually just researching it as a possible stop for 2021.

• MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    @MischiefBrewing can recommend some good spots in the Adirondacks?

Not yet!  Bought a trail book for the high peaks and was planning to start exploring it last summer but the pandemic ruined that plan, had to stay in Vermont for most of the season. 

I know there's a good campground just south of Lake Placid that is the main access to a trailhead where you can hit Algonquin, Iriquois, and Wright's peak all in one, long, grueling hike...
    Adding some information for those wanting to visit Canada in 2021: the border is currently closed to visitors from the US for non-essential trips. Passage by vehicle through to Alaska is strictly monitored and does not include sightseeing. We have a few Covid-19 hotspots and strict lock downs at the moment, mostly in Ontario and Quebec. Here in BC, there have been some flare-ups but by and large, people are doing their part to contain the spread. Our vaccine rollout is hampered by supply issues - we no longer have any vaccine manufacturing in Canada. I doubt the border will re-open until we have 'herd immunity', currently defined as a vaccination rate over 80%. In the last month <1% of the Canadian population has been vaccinated. Demand far exceeds supply. At the current rate, even with some acceleration, it will easily take a year to reach a point where it would be safe to open the border. Here's a link to some stats that are updated regularly: 
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-in-the-u-s-how-do-canada-s-provinces-rank-against-american-states-1.5051033
    Locally, we can go camping, mainly just boondocking though. My new (to me) T@B is such a source of joy and freedom. This week, I'm getting a rain hood attached to the fan so that winter in the rain forest will be a bit more comfortable. I'm eyeing a new lithium battery as well...
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    We've got 3 trips planned already here in snowy Ontario for when the snows melt - as long as they don't close down the provincial parks in the meantime!  We'll be 25% vaccinated by July and 75-100% by October if all goes well so it'll be a 'careful' summer but hopefully gets better as we head into the fall and allowing more trips.  Will be nice when the US land border opens up so we can all do some cross border trips, regardless which direction we're going!  Also looking forward to some sunny weather trips next winter - cruises, all inclusives.. figures we go and get our Nexus passes just before covid hit and now they're sitting & collecting dust!