Water pump fuse keeps blowing

Just bought a nuCamp 2021 T@b 400 Boondock, 28 DEC 2020 in PA. We love "Boony" and promptly drove across the country to bring her home to Arizona. We had no problems with the water pump, operating it while on shore power. Now in the driveway, the water pump fuse keeps blowing whether running off shore power or battery. The fuse is 7.5 amps and nuCamp labelled it as such. However the Pentair Shurflow manual states that a minimum of a 10 amp fuse should be used. Put in a call to nuCamp but have not heard back. We are hesitant to try a 10 amp fuse. Have others had this problem? Any thoughts? Thanks!
2021 T@B 400 Boondock "Boony"
Towed by 2023 Ford F-150 "Frida"
New River, AZ

Comments

• HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    Does the pump pressurize the system and have good flow before the fuse blows?  If not, maybe the pump is jammed with debris?  There is a filter on the inlet side.  Disconnect that and ensure it's clean.  The remove the outlet hose and blow into the outlet of the pump, or outlet hose to try and clear any debris that may be in the pump.  This may be difficult if you have the large frig.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • mbeckerpashambeckerpasha Member Posts: 22
    Thanks Rich. I will give it a shot. The pump does pressurize the system and I can run water with good flow before the fuse blows. But, your suggestion is a good one and worth a try. Thanks!

-Mary
    New River, AZ
    Update: spoke with a technician with Pentair. He stated that the pumped should have a 10 amp fuse in place. This is also stated on the pump body. Why then would nuCamp install a 7.5 amp fuse?
    New River, AZ
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Thanks for that thread. I appears we have a different issue.
    New River, AZ
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, @pthomas745, for a blast from my past [post].  We've been using that relay circuit for 3 years now & I'm happy to say we've never blown any fuse anywhere in our T@B yet or had any pump issues.  The issue on our 2018 320s was that pump & SeeLevel switch required different fuses on the same circuit.  We could have just continued using the 10A fuse, but SeeLevel required a 7.5A fuse to avoid damage to its electronic display circuit.

I'm not familiar with @mbeckerpasha's 400, but I wonder if there are other electronics on the same  pump circuit that requires a 7.5A fuse, which prevents using a 10A fuse for that circuit.  If so, then a relay modification may be the answer, but if not, then just use a 10A fuse instead.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Hi Brian Z,
    Very impressed with your installation of the relay circuit to solve the issue in your T@B. Our circuit is dedicated to the water pump. A technician at nuCamp said that he had never seen this model water pump pull more than 3-4 amps. We tried a 10 amp fuse (not a slow-blo type). The pump did work a bit longer but eventually blew that fuse also. Checked both 3-way switches, they are good. Out of ideas, except that we may very well have a defective pump.

Mary B-P
    New River, AZ
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2021
    Yes, a defective pump would be the next thing to check, something in the pump is causing either an overload or short, which would blow the fuse.  I would contact Warranty Service at nüCamp and have them send you a new pump, if your dealer is not readily at hand to deal with this issue.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Thanks Denny, will do!
    New River, AZ
    Follow up, spoke with another pump technician at Pentair. The pump installed by nuCamp draws 7.5 amps and so it should NOT be on a 7.5 amp circuit. We could not find a 10 amp slow-blow fuse in a bladed model. Pentair stated that these pumps usually are wired with an in-line cylindrical glass type fuse; one can purchased a slow-blow fuse of this type. What to do? Hoping to receive new pump from nuCamp and install. Will probably do so with a 10 amp fuse. We have 16 gauge wiring which can support this.

My new obsession.
    New River, AZ