Alde propane burner vent outside is scorched.

jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
I've been using propane a lot for my Alde heat, every night in southern California where I am staying this winter. While washing my 2019 T@B400 yesterday I notice the outside Alde burner vent is scorched. I imagine the propane burner air being exhausted is very hot but I would expect Alde accounted for that when choosing the vent material. Either they didn't or I have another problem. Anybody else notice this on their Alde vent?

2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It shouldn't be that hot. Maybe reissue? Burner running rich? High altitude at your location?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    This fall we had the “freight train” rumbling in our Alde at high altitude. Truma tech support helped us trouble shoot the issue (air bubble in the system. To fix, we turned up the little red valve on the unit, we have the 3020, to “5” for 15 min and then back to 2.5, if I recall.  Have camped several nights since with silence from the unit) and sometime after that I noticed our vent had the same burn stain.  We’d used the furnace before the issue without any staining (just a few times because it’s new to us).  I can’t say it was related to our issue, but the timing was close.  It made me uncomfortable, as if it was burning too hot, but I thought maybe it was inevitable and everyone’s stained eventually?? I’m curious to see the feedback on your question.
    Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jimcenname, on my previous 400, I needed to turn the high altitude mode on at about 3,000’, otherwise my exhaust did get scorched. Try turning on the high altitude mode to see if that cools off the exhaust. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Some time ago I posted about soot being deposited when I ran the Alde heater.  Yours looks more like a burn though.  My scorch marks wiped off easily enough but still stained the outside of the exhaust vent.
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I am in Temecula CA, 1017 feet above sea level. Have been here about a month.

I am using propane now because I am camped at my daughter's house with a 15amp extension cord for power so I can't turn the Alde up past 1000 watts, which isn't enough for me to maintain 70 degrees in the cabin with nighttime lows of 35 degrees. I don't boondock and when at a FHU sites I have 30 amps so electric power is plentiful for heat, no propane necessary. Did I mention I live in my T@B?

I'm going to buy an infra red thermometer to check the temperature at the vent. The thermometer also will be handy checking my brakes temp when I am towing. More later.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Running 70-degree at night seems a bit high, and in 35-40F outside temps, the Alde is burning more to keep,yiur trailer,thst warm.  I find 60F a good night time temp, and 65F in daytime, plus,sun gives an inside temp of 70+ degrees in our TaB 400.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Is that a scorch or a rust type stain? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Carrying the blankets I would require to sleep well at 60 degrees would cause me to exceed the gross vehicle weight rating of the T@B :) not to mention take forever to warm up to 73 for my morning shower.

Looks like scorch to me. As someone noted earlier there is similar but less discoloration at the side of the vent
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    Jim, I find I can get the TaB400 from 65 to 70F in around 30 min with electric at 2K and gas burner turned on.  Have coffee first, whilst waiting for the heat to come up.   ;)
    cheers
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited January 2021
    jimcenname said:
    Carrying the blankets I would require to sleep well at 60 degrees would cause me to exceed the gross vehicle weight rating of the T@B :) not to mention take forever to warm up to 73 for my morning shower.
    jimcenname said:
    . . .  to maintain 70 degrees in the cabin with nighttime lows of 35 degrees.
    . . .  Did I mention I live in my T@B?
    IMHO you are using the T@B far beyond it's intended design specifications for both the trailer components and the installed systems.  T@B's are not designed for full-time-living or four-season-camping.

edited:
    The Adle for example was not intended to run (burner on) every night, all night, 365 days a year.  System components are being over stressed with resulting degrading of overall system. 
    Adle Support claims unit is up to task of full-timing, see Jan-18 post below by jimcenname

Things to do / consider to improve full-time-living in a trailer not intended for such usage:

1]   Get the extra blankets (if weight is a real issue, then remove something not needed for winter)
          or shift to a quality sleeping bag for winter months.
    2]   Shift your daily morning shower to a mid-day or early evening shower.  T@B cabin will already
          be warm.  Might also shift to fewer showers per week.
    3]   Remember you must adjust to limits of trailer when using it beyond it's intended design goals.

Good luck

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    nuCamp tech help responded to my inquiry about the Adle vent as show in this printscreen.

2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Well that’s good news!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Yes, sure is...  Thanks for the update.
    cheers
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Isn't 'soot' generally darker in color and grainy.
    Pictures look more like material discoloration and soot.

Should be able to clean away soot but not discoloration.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    @waterlotus, can you share a photo of your issue?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    edited January 2021
    Update Jan 18: I took polishing compound to the mark on the vent, I figure if it's soot the abrasive polishing compound should remove it. It did not, it just put a shine on it.

Alde customer service responded to my inquiry, I asked if the 3020 HE in my 400 is hearty enough for full-time use. Response is that Alde is and with no extra maintenance required. See email attached. 

2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @jimcenname - did you inquire about the stain on the exhaust vent?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I did, to nucamp. Creed said it occurs occasionally, he said it's soot. I'm not concerned enough to ask Alde, yet.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    It appears to be heat discoloration, which even occurs on stainless steel exhaust stove vents.  As long as the vent is working correctly I would not worry over this.
    cheers