Options

Alde maintenance

NanabirdieNanabirdie Member Posts: 17
I have a 2021 T@B 320S. My Alde manual states that every 10 days, steps should be taken to maintain an "air cushion" in the system. The instructions say to open the relief valve for a mere 10 seconds, while the "Notes" box state that the tank must be drained. I've been using the heat on and off now for 2 months and have not done this maintenance once. Is it necessary in the T@B 320? if so, which steps do you perform, and if I haven't done it...what are the risks? My dealer never mentioned it.

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2021
    @Nanabirdie, I have seen no benefit in draining the entire tank.  The whole idea is to create an air cushion.  I take that to mean a bit of air space at upper level of the tank.  Therefore, since Alde provides no rationale for draining the entire tank, I just open the relief valve for about 10 seconds or so approximately every 10 days.  Alde does not explain what will happen if you don't at least do that, but it is very easy to do, so I would recommend doing the "10-10" (my mnemonic, not Alde's) routine to be safe.  But, as always, I am interested to hear any contrary input that others may have on the subject.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited February 2021
    @Balyliss Thanks! It does seem much less daunting than draining the tank. The last two nights have been cool (upper 40's) and the heat does not seem to be keeping up the way it had previously, which alerted me to look over the manual. From reading a lot of other posts, it sounds like air in the system can interfere with the circulation of the glycol....and that raising and lowering the tongue is a possible solution. I'm not sure this is the same issue, but certainly way overdue to do it, thanks for the "10-10" mnemonic to remind me! 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2021
    The yellow safety valve release to maintain an air cushion is for the hot water tank, nothing to do with the glycol and heating circulation.  If you are not using the hot water, than no action is required.  The air cushion bit every 10 days is when you are using the hot water heater part of the system.  The air cushion in the hot water tank keeps the pump pressure changes from creating any hammer action in the hot water plumbing.

Whilst I use the Alde in the winter to keep dampness out of the TaB, I have the water system drained, including the hot water tank.  So no need to trip the pressure release valve every 10 days, as I am not using the hot water.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @Nanabirdie - if you are regularly and actively using the TaB’s plumbing, keeping the water in the Alde tank is fine.  But, if you aren’t, then Alde recommends draining the Alde water tank when it is not in use.  This is to prevent growth of bacteria and algae.  

Regarding the air cushion, it appears that it only applies when using the fresh tank and water pump.  Compared to the Alde 3010 instructions, the Alde 3020 instructions have added “This can be done by opening the safety/drain valve on the hydronic heating system for a few seconds.”  But, they still have the recommendation to empty the tank once a week to “ensure that a new air cushion is formed”.  So, if you are using the fresh water tank and the water pump and getting hot water without any problems, you are probably good to go.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM-yes, that's the instruction I'm looking at. I guess I've got "water tanks" mixed up, as I thought there was a tank inside the Alde unit beneath the seat....perhaps that IS the hot water tank. Yes, I am using the plumbing continuously...."dry camp" valve settings so do use the water pump. I've been filling the fresh water tank when it gets low, emptying the grey when it gets full, and sometimes using hot water for shower or dishes. Most use is for the cassette toilette or teeth brushing. I started out in freezing temps, but the dealer de-winterized the camper for me because I was heading south. Had no issues in low temps, so I know the awesome warmth of the heating system! I've been parked for a couple of weeks, now, so can now look at maintenance.....am I understanding then the "safety/drain valve" is simply the fresh water tank valve. It's in a nice handy place by behind the passenger side wheel? Thanks for the reminder that the glycol is a separate issue. 
  • Options
    The Safety/Drain valve is on the cold water line that enters at the base of the Alde to fill the Alde water tank.  It will open if there is excess pressure and you can also use it to drain the Alde water tank.  The Alde is really a cylinder that contains the hot glycol that is then wrapped by a sleeve like tank of water.  

We refer to the 19 gallon onboard water tank as the fresh water tank.  On the 2021 320, the fresh water tank drain valve is behind the passenger side tire.  
  • Options
    From all your collective responses, which I really appreciate, I'm deducing that the valve the manual is referring to as the "safety/drain valve", described as "on the Alde system" is the PLASTIC yellow valve located on the blue line as seen in the bottom photo on the left side - unattached from what I've been calling the "Alde" - as in the box that clearly gets hot. The photo in the manual show an image of what appears to be a brass valve, and the fresh water tank drain valve looks more like what I thought I was looking for. (Top photo), and that tank is clearly marked. The middle photo shows the view I have from above, a chaotic array of tubes and lines that I didn't take the time with the dealer to identify. But now I see the blue line coming from what I now understand as the "hot water tank", and it leads to this plastic valve, which appears it could release under excess pressure, and connects to a water line leading out of the camper. Sorry for the long winded trail of thinking, but I thought this might help others sort out the meaning of inclusive terms we Newbies don't quite get! (ie "on the Alde") or "tank". As one wonderful supportive member shared with me... it's a process of learning a new lingo! And muster the courage to pop that valve for 10 seconds and see what happens!
  • Options
    If the Alde is actively heating, make sure no one is near the Safety/Drain valve outlet when you briefly pop (or press) the yellow valve.  The water that exits is under pressure and very hot.

@Nanabirdie - there is a learning curve with the Alde.  It will eventually make sense.  Keep at it!