Simple Explanation of Heating System?

(2021 320s BD) 

Can anyone point me to or offer a simple explanation of how the Alde system is meant to actually heat the camper? Specifically where does the heat actually come out?

We just camped two nights and the Alde kept us plenty warm, but in morning the area underneath the back bench and the open farthest back area where we would normally store our bedding is EXTREMELY hot. 

Mostly it means we can’t really put anything back under there when it’s time to break camp but also it seems insanely inefficient in regards to heating the camper??

Thanks!

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Now, I’m not getting my 2021 T@B 320S Boondock until next month, but I’ll base my response on the other two T@B’s I have owned. 

The Alde’s works by natural convection, meaning the air moves naturally, cool air at the floor is drawn into slots cut into the wood panels at the floor, it flows over fins, and then it must exit at the top as warm air. 

When you make up your bed, you do need to be aware of the slots at the rear of the 320, next to the wall. Warm air will need to exit here. There are other slots. Wherever you see a slot next to the floor, there will be an exit slot. You also need to allow enough space under the bed for the cool air to move to the rear. 

My guess is that you had the slots at the rear of the bed covered and so the heated air stayed under the bed. Rearrange so that area at the rear is always free of bedding and clothing. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I'm don't know where you live or what sort of home heating systems you are familiar with, but the Alde is the same as the hot-water-baseboard systems commonly found in the northeast and other areas with "real" winters. A boiler heats fluid which is pumped through baseboard radiators (more accurately called convectors) which warm the air around them and cause it to flow upward as Verna described previously. 
    2015 T@B S
  • KCodeKCode Member Posts: 22
    @kbdigitiqe Thank you for this question! We were wondering the same thing. It is really HOT under that bench when the Alde system is heating. As far as I know, there were no slots or spaces behind the bench covered up or restricted as @Verna suggested, but we will have to be certain to clear storage spaces to allow freedom of airflow next time it gets cold.
    2021 T@B 320S
    2011 Honda Odyssey/Dave and Karin
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @kbdigitiqe and @KCode, see my August 3rd comments and photos in the below discussion thread.  It describes the air and heat flow in the rear storage area.  Additionally, I posted photos of the rear convector (the metal fins) and the opening at the rear of the trailer behind the bench seat where the heat rises (radiates) into the sleeping area. 

You want to keep that and the other openings/slots described by @Verna free of obstruction so you have good air and heat flow.  Also, be careful not to drop anything (like a cell phone) down the rear vent.  It is a bit of work to recover lost items from that area, as has been discussed on this forum.  There are a few ideas discussed on the forum on how to prevent that from occurring.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11478/bedding-storage
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2020
    Thanks all! I really wish someone with a 2021 could advise where all the various slots are as we just had the normal bed set up and nothing covering any other area and like @KCode reiterated, it was insanely hot under the bench

EDIT: thanks for the above ^^ !!
    Ask me in a month, @kbdigitiqe
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2021
    In the Tab 320s (2021) I know that there are fins for the Alde system at the very rear of the Tab.

Does anyone know if there are other fins located elsewhere? The fins at the back are well hid. I am thinking there might be more, but I’m not sure where.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    On my 2017 there are "radiators" inside the passenger side bench, which are enclosed in a wooden structure for protection.  The little cut-outs along the floor in the middle of the trailer might correspond to the position of the "fins", too.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @William _Keever and @kbdigitiqe here are the photos I just took of the silver pipes (formerly “fins”) and vents, even rodent-proof entry holes in the floor. 

Driver’s side bench. There are no longer any “fins”, a silver pipe now leaves the Alde instead of “fins”. 
    The vent slots under the sofa to draw the floor level air into the space under the sofa. 

The passenger side, under the sofa. Two silver pipe (formerly “fins”) going into the area under the passenger side bench. 

Note the two white tubes with floor protectors to keep rodents and bugs out of the holes drilled through the floor.  

The two slots under the driver’s side bench to allow the cooler air to flow into the area under this bench. 
    Following the silver Alde pipes (formerly “fins”), there are flexible black tubes that go under the bathroom. My guess is the flexible pipe is a part for the “loop” to return the glycol to the Alde. 

The boxed in area on the right of this passenger sudd bench allows air to recirculate inside the box with two Alde silver pipes (formerly “fins”) inside the box. This is mostly a storage area, so it does make sense to box in the “fin” area. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @Verna ; ? ? ? ? ?
    Are you sure you have the correct Alde part Images?
    Those look like "towel rack" heaters not the finned "space heaters" that increase air-2-heat-source-contact found on earlier T@B models.
    Typical Finned convertor (Adle catalog):

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    @MuttonChops, yup, I’m sure. No fins under the side benches. Definitely a big change from the 2014 T@B S Max and the 2019 T@B 400. 

The heat comes from the silver tubes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited March 2021
    Verna said:
    @MuttonChops, yup, I’m sure. No fins under the side benches. Definitely a big change from the 2014 T@B S Max and the 2019 T@B 400. 
    Yeah, the driver's side wheel well of my 2014 is, figuratively speaking, a rat's nest. 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    There still might be a finned convector under the rear bunk area, as previously used?  I can changing the side benches to the towel warmer pipes, as this area was previously very hot when heated.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Verna said:

The heat comes from the silver tubes. 
    Thanks.
    Now for some Off-Topic Rambling

Am LOVING the yr-2018 T@B 320S yet one is always thinking what's next
    ... Super-B with Off-Roading Jeep in tow,
    ... bigger TV with T@B400,
    ... small Airstream,
    ... and the list goes on

Note there is no updated T@B 320S . . . as I hate cassette toilets & don't like the Air8 (too much storage is lost and performance remains questionable)

While a Solo 400 might be nice and still has a black tank
    . . . do those 'towel rack' heaters really do the trick . . .

Expect in the end will update the TV but keep the same 'towing' size
    and keep the 2018 320S, afterall it's a NüCamp and has many useful trouble free years ahead.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    @MuttonChops, I loved my 2014 T@B, but wanted to travel full-time. Bought the 2019 400 for estimated 5 years of fulltiming. That lasted two years. I’m a homebody so I now have a new home. 

And I’m back with a 2021 T@B 320, the same but many new things!  I like the idea of the cassette toilet (funny how some love it or some hate it).  I’ve only slept in it one night back in early November, and I instinctively put the sofa down for the wheel-to-wheel sleeping. I do want to try the sleeping on the twin bed (split back).  I did discover there is some storage in front of the Air8–watch the hoses. Due to unforeseen family sickness, I haven’t had time to really check everything out. My camping time is coming up soon!

By the way, the 400 Solo is being discontinued—probably not enough demand. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The towel rack type heaters will not put out as much heat, but in the small space of the TaB320, might be an improvement.  In the TaB400, the washroom heater works great, washroom is warm for showers and keeps the plumbing/ black tank from freezing in situations where the temp drops down unexpectedly.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.