Options

T@B 320 S Boondock battery upgrade

2»

Comments

• Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I spent last summer with the stock battery plus a 'spare' configured as  noted below.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10954/opinions-on-2021-t-b-320s-boondock-alternate-battery-configuration-for-early-learning#latest

Most of my campsites were well treed and shady and thus I wasn't able to completely recharge most days.  I'm sure that's a factor of spending a lot of time in northern MN and WI.  I'd get a day or 1.5 days from a battery at best, then have to switch to the backup. 

This spring, I took the next step to 2 - 6V Wet Cells with 230 aH of capacity.  I have them fully charged and my no-load resting voltage is 12.9V. The goal for this summer is to spend less time monitoring my battery :-). 
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    GeorgiaMBGeorgiaMB Member Posts: 33
    @DougH I think we’re leaning towards a generator… The Ryobi 2300 looks like a pretty good alternative to the more pricy Honda 2200i, & has some pretty good features.
    2021 T@B Boondock 320S | 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 
  • Options
    GeorgiaMBGeorgiaMB Member Posts: 33

@Basil48192 Will you do the install yourself?  When I asked about upgrading to two 6Vs at the dealer, they looked at me like I was crazy & said uhhhh that’s just 12v. The same. I just said never mind I’ll figure it out.  I do think we’re going to do a generator. 
    2021 T@B Boondock 320S | 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Basil48192 Yup, I was just looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZWMGZ2

...and trying to see what they weigh. Shipping from eBay might use up the difference if not free and the pair weighs 125lbs.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    wolfeel2000wolfeel2000 Member Posts: 10
    I was just checking prices on LifePo4 batteries.  I can order Varicore 280Ah batteries for $513 and a BMS for $125.  This is the same size package as my stock Group 24 lead acid battery.  I would have to assemble the battery pack, however a couple of you tube videos and some willingness to take a chance on making a mistake I could get more capacity than 6volt AGMs and with less weight. 
     Of course I cannot justify replacing the stock battery until I prove that I need much more capacity than I currently have.
    2015 T@b Max-S/ 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the 6 speed manual Anti-theft device.
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 261
    @GeorgiaMB.  Yes, I hope to get them installed this weekend.  Ordered a double wide battery box from e-bay.  I'm also installing my Christmas presents - a new battery monitor and MPPT controller for my suitcase panels.
    @DougH.  Believe it or not, shipping was free from e-bay and they showed up in 3 days.  I checked the charge and both were nearly fully charged at 6.5 volts.  I'll send some photos when I get them installed.

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    I was just checking prices on LifePo4 batteries.  I can order Varicore 280Ah batteries for $513 and a BMS for $125.  This is the same size package as my stock Group 24 lead acid battery.  I would have to assemble the battery pack, however a couple of you tube videos and some willingness to take a chance on making a mistake I could get more capacity than 6volt AGMs and with less weight. 
     Of course I cannot justify replacing the stock battery until I prove that I need much more capacity than I currently have.
    The price of the Battleborn LiFePO4 100 Ah battery with integrated BMS dropped to $900. Not exactly cheap, but considering the quality, 10 yr guarantee and projected life, it's may be lower cost in the long run. Recent testing of Battleborns seems to indicate that their nominal rating is very conservative and is typically 5-10% greater. For most lead-acid batteries, the reverse is generally the case with most failing to meet nominal specs.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    druthazerdruthazer Member Posts: 35
    After a month of research, I decided on 2 x 12 v FLA in parallel.  Fit in tub with the bracket kit, cheap to purchase, meet all our power needs and good for two of us using CPAP on dc with heaters off.  Generally fully charges off our 2 X 100 RENOGY solar panels.  And, we have the benefit that this configuration run our 3 way fridge on battery while traveling during the day between boondocking or electric sites. 
    Get 10% off Renogy products:  
    http://73renogy.refr.cc/robertruthazer      
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Don't worry yet about this that or the other kind or type of battery(s).. Except - if you haven't picked it up yet
    - you're new to trailering (not sure of use-mostly plugged in you'll be fine)
    - 2021 with the new compressor refrigerator (no propane option)
    - confident you want to multi-day dry camp (absolutely need > 100 available Amp-Hrs
    - We  (right before Covid) dickered w/ dealer and got 2 AGM 6V for $200 upcharge - these are our learning batteries and have been fine with them and solar. If we get sun fine over 3 days otherwise, 3 is the limit.

We do not use any 120 volt devices... on a little trailer like this our thought has been you can't easily carry enough battery / solar cells.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    A further questions further question. In a 2021 T@B 320S BD. When the battery isolation switch is OFF. Will the solar still charge the batteries?

thanks
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    edited April 2021
    @DougWW, my 2021 320S boondock was delivered with the connection from the solar connected directly to the battery with a fuse in-line and crimped ring connector that bypasses the main battery switch. Therefore the answer to your question is 'Yes' based on the observation of how my unit was put together. 

Should you need to disconnect the battery, its a good idea to pull the fuse which will de-energize the ring connectors and leave them safe to dangle inside the front tub.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    @GeorgiaMB, @DougH. Received all my parts and had a sunny day yesterday...so I was able to get everything installed.  It's a good thing they didn't add a second coat of paint to the components, or they wouldn't have fit!  I put in a second controller for my 200W suitcase, a Victron battery monitor, and two (2), 6V AGM batteries.  I also installed a port on the outside of my tub so I can connect my suitcase solar without opening the tub and battery cover.  Thanks to everyone on this forum...I stole most of the ideas (cutting board mounting plate, Menards water-proof box and the Century battery box).  My contribution was using the threaded nut-serts for mounting everying securely.  

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Basil48192: Nice clean install!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @Basil48192 Very nice looking. Anything new under the battery box? Did you beef up the support structure any, or is the tub or its floor / struts already pretty stout?

• Options
    @DougH.  Nothing yet.  I might look at a cross-member across the beams, though it doesn't seem to be flexing at all.

• Options
    @DougH.  The driver's side battery is pretty much on top of the existing beam, but the other one is only supported by the aluminum.  

• Options
    @Basil48192 Might be more than enough. But if you measured before and after tongue weights, and it went up significanantly, a little healthy paranoia may be in order. I'd hate to add steel if the front if it is already heavy, but a couple more aluminum beams that span the width of the tongue with a few braces connecting them might not be overly cautious. Or just tie a dozen helium balloons to the battery box to lighten the load.  On the other hand, if your tongue weight only went from 220lbs to 240lbs, ignore this expression of possible concern completely.

• Options
    DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    We had the opportunity to spend 4 nights in the new trailer this week. We went with the stock 75ah battery in the Boondock.

I kept track of the battery through the period with both the wall-mount battery meter and the Alde service report. I spent most of the days trying to get the Victron to talk to my phone. After completely disconnecting the Victron, including the 30amp fuse, it cheerfully connected by Blue Tooth to IOS, so I could use it too.

Normal use was evening lights as needed, Alde through the night as we were sub=freezing, and the fridge set at 1.5 going continuously. 

Weather was cool, with highs about 10C, partly cloudy. I certainly wouldn't call it strong sun in any way. Trailer position with panel pointed SW with no leaves in the way.

Over 4 days the LOWEST I saw the battery was 2/3 on the monitor and 12.7 on the Alde.

I'm impressed. I suspect this may not be as good when the temperature rises and the fridge has to work harder. But since most of my world is going to be boon docking, I'll take this.

...Doug

...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    if you go battle born lithium and have a good solar panel, you really only need 1 battery. The factory solar keeps up pretty well with refrigerator, lights and water pump ( have not switched out fan yet) not a fan fan, (haha)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    DougWW said:
    A further questions further question. In a 2021 T@B 320S BD. When the battery isolation switch is OFF. Will the solar still charge the batteries?

thanks
    Doug, yes the factory solar panel continues to charge the battery when the battery switch is off.  This is why you need to cover the solar panels in daytime or wait until dark to work on electrical connections on a TaB with factory solar, like installing a shunt battery monitor.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    @Basil48192 I love your very clean installation.  I too added some things: 2 lithium batteries (Lion Energy - group 24 size), a Victron battery monitor, and a Genius 5x2 battery charger / maintainer.  Question- I can’t find a box that will hold both batteries side by side. I went to Century’s site but don’t see a box with the same configuration as yours.  But you have two 6 volt batteries correct?  And they are smaller than group 24?   I would love to clean up my install vs using the two boxes I am currently.   Thanks 
  • Options
    @Bclarke.  Thanks!  I used 2 Vmax 6V Golf Cart Batteries.  They are 'Group GC2' (7.1"W x 10.2"L x 10.8"H).  I believe the battery box is manufactured by Century, although I bought it through Ebay (link below).  My batteries fit perfectly....although I did have to trim about 3/8" from the top of the box due to the placement of my shunt.  It was a tight fit, but I'm happy with the results.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GC-G-Dual-6V-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Box-Auto-Marine-and-RV-Side-by-Side/282371792886?hash=item41beab9ff6:g:qGAAAOSwwqVcEWWF

• Options
    Freeheeler99Freeheeler99 Member Posts: 2
    @Basil48192 - I’m a little late to this thread, but you seem to have solved a problem for me with the box from ebay holding the tandem 6V batteries. I have a pair of Lion UT1300’s that I’ve been trying to find a way to fit into the front box, and your kit looks like it will work. Thank you for posting the clear details and photos of that clean installation. I was curious how you rigged for the straps that hold the box in place? Apologies if you already explained, but I didn’t see it in the thread.
  • Options
    No problem.  I used these straps (hopefully the link works).  I just screwed the 'loops' to the bottom of the tub, two on each side.  Just double check before drilling so you don't hit any wires or cables.  Good luck!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823ZRN2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1