320 S BD Delay

Maybe to save some people some frustration due to lack of information...Our 320 S BD came off line about 18 March (I have pics to prove it). I finally got some information today (15 April) through a round-about source that indicated that ours (and others) are awaiting parts to complete the interior. No details on what parts, but was told that we might see it next week or out as far as four weeks. Customer Experience indicated that they could not provide status information and that I had to go through my dealer (sic, no comment). I found an alternate source of information @ NuCamp and was provided the above info. Back to thumb-twiddling...

I think we all understand that there are supply-chain issues all around, but what I continue to struggle with is forth-coming status information that simply lets us all know what is going on. For example, had I known that there was a delivery problem instead of a parts problem, I could have attempted to make alternate arrangements for delivery (like picking it up!) although that may even be verboten! The dealers, and NuCamp, really do have us all by the short hairs and it seems irresponsible to not be willing to provide detailed and timely status updates just so we can attempt some plans, even plans not involving the use of the camper. It's just common courtesy to keep customers informed, no matter what the business, when delays occur.
2021 400 BD
2018 Ford F150 

Comments

• manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    @LonesomeRoad I posted an update on my thread about the 400 delays. I too had tried to reach out to Nucamp after not getting much info from my dealer and Customer Experience told me the same thing...talk to my dealer. Finally got ahold of my dealer (mind you, I've been the one to reach out to them...they haven't once reached out to me) and he said something about windmills in Texas causing a supply chain issue on seat cushions...? I just nodded and agreed even though I had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe that's the "interior parts" you're referring to as well. 

Two weeks ago he told me mine was off the line on the 7th and that it would probably be shipping the 8th or 9th. Turns out mine is two full shipments behind some other Nucamp product he's getting in supposedly next Tuesday...so who knows when ours will get there. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that Nucamp might be the main cause of the misinformation but when I talk to him he acts like we never had a prior conversation about delivery dates. 

I agree, it's not the delays that are driving me crazy. I get that. It's the lack of transparency and willingness of Customer Experience just to tell us what's going on. Just come clean instead of ghosting us.

Like you mentioned it's just impossible to make any plans...we're just in a holding pattern. I get it, first world problems, but if we could just have some transparency with where our orders are at then I'd be a lot happier. If anything just ship the cushions when they're available. At least I can start getting the trailer road worthy with things I'd like to upgrade.  

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    When we had the floor redone in our TaB last year, only gauge updates about when it would be done, which kept slipping back.  We 
    gave up trying to make plans, an finally got our trailer back after it was in the shop for three months, missing most of the summer camping season, which was mostly locked down anyway.  But it got done, and was spot on, they even detailed it inside and out.
    cheers.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited April 2021
    @LonesomeRoad - we faced a very similar situation with our 2021 320 S BD though in our case, the dealer (Miller's Trailer Sales in SE PA) did a good job of keeping us abreast of things. We actually ordered our BD in July of 2020, knowing in advance that because of high demand, delivery would not be until the following spring. What actually happened was that even after a seven month wait, the original early March delivery date had to be moved back about two weeks because of parts shortages. And even with that, our camper came from nuCamp without the Yakima rack. Again however, the dealer kept us abreast of the situation, and continues to keep us informed relative to the rack shortage (they will retrofit the Yakima when nuCamp catches up and ships it to them).
    As our experience proves, there are good dealers out there and its unfortunate that you appear to have found one that's not.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    I keep seeing good things about Miller's, but we're a long ways away from them! In the pictures that were sent us in mid-March, ours DID have the racks (which surprised us), so, @CharlieRN, perhaps your's will come soon!

2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited April 2021
    I know what is measured as far away is all relative, but I have come to the conclusion that it is very worthwhile to travel to a dealer that you can count on.  We bypassed a more local RV franchise that would not return a phone call for a dealer 2 1/2 hours away - so worth it.  Of course, this is coming from someone who has nuCamp practically in their backyard.  I think some owners take advantage of the annual nuCamp rally to schedule appointments in their shop or on site at the rally.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • feministravelersfeministravelers Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2021
    I completely understand your frustration! We purchased our 2021 320S T@B trailer in December 2020 and are still waiting for it to be delivered to the RV center in Tacoma, WA. They have told us it is due to COVID Mfg delays. Just waiting, waiting, waiting.....Hope you all get yours soon!
    2021 T@B320S Boondock 
    TV: 2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Based in Tacoma, WA
  • BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 80
    Just a note on a recent delivery situation:

We placed the order for a 2021 400 T@B Boondock in early October 2020.  Informed today that it has arrived at dealer, in Montana, as of maybe a few days ago.

Relative to the initial 3-month window estimate from the dealer, I'd say it arrived within their "could be here by.... but should be here by...."  date, albeit at the outer end it.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

@BridgerSunset Great news! I'm hoping we'll have similar news here in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    YEA! We are going to the big state of TEXAS from PENNSYLVANIA to take delivery of our t@b 400 bdl solo on the 29th a long wait from an October 2020 deposit! We bought a LATE February build date What a shake down trip home it’s going to be. Hope I got a good one!
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    nuCamp is in a difficult position with updates. Those really should be coming from the dealer and maintaining good dealer relationships is critical to the business. If I were nuCamp, I wouldn't get in the business of providing build updates directly to customers. Sales are handled through dealers, not nuCamp. If you had a Jeep on order, you couldn't call Toledo, you'd have to work with your dealer.

Unfortunately, , I have seen even good dealers struggling with basic things like updates and orders and I think it is related to the volume of sales they have every day. 

It doesn't make it any easier to not know, but this is truly an unprecedented time for both RV makers and dealers. I get that the Covid response is getting old, but the record sales of new and used RVs has created an unbelievable parts shortage across the industry. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Some folks avoid bad news like the plauge. We have some project managers where I work that only want to provide unicorn and rainbow news to our customers, they avoid at all costs any news that isn't positive. Drives me nuts. I am more the hey we have an issue and here is why and we estimate xxxx delay on the delivery. Never let the customer wonder is way better approach, but folks don't like confrontation.

A mentor once said do what you say when you say, but if issues arise, be the 1st to inform the customer, everyone understands delays, especially if out of your control, but blowing folks off is never well accepted.
    When I started as a cable TV installer back in the dark ages, the supervisor gave me a similar instruction.

Treat the customers home the way you would want someone to treat yours.

If a lot of the RV shops followed that advice, there would be a lot less complaints about repairs.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • PeteYPeteY Member Posts: 2
    Placed our order in September for '21 320 BD, with planned March delivery. At the beginning of April we were told there was another delay due to windows not arriving from the manufacturer. We continue to wait.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT 2021 T@B 320 Boondock Iowa
    Ours came off line about 3/18 and we're still waiting for it as of 4/23/21.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    I ordered my 320S-BD on Nov. 7th. I just got the call today from the dealer that it is ready and just awaiting transportation from Nucamp. It's been a long wait, but I'm confident it will be worth it.
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @scottincarmel, did you go with Wahlburg’s, as I did?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    Verna said:
    @scottincarmel, did you go with Wahlburg’s, as I did?
    No, I went with Pete's RV. I debated, it sounded like the price was going to be the same, and I just figured there'd be less paperwork hassle buying in-state (probably insignificant, but...). On the other hand, I'm in Columbus far more often than I'm in the Schereville, IN area, so Wahlburg's may have actually been a more convenient choice, even though it's a bit further away. So it was a flip of the coin. So far, my limited experience with Pete's has been fine. On a side note, when you mentioned Wahlburg's, my mind jumped to the new Wahlburger's location opening in Carmel on Monday, so now I'll need to do a burger for lunch! :)
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
    Yes, those hamburgers commercials have been on TV of late.  I’m not in Carmel very often, so it will be a while before U try them. 

I did not know of Pete’s RV. I only knew of Gerton’s in Mount Vernon, IN as being a nüCamp dealer in Indiana. 

I did have a couple from Muncie come down to Columbus to see my 2021 T@B S Boondock as they could not find one on an RV lot. I expect to see them have a fall delivery of their T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • CanucktabbyCanucktabby Member Posts: 10
    we had originally ordered the tab 320 in November with a delivery or March-April. Just spoke with our dealer who now tells me the port hole windows are out of stock with no ETA on arrivals, so our mostly built trailer is sitting at the factory until they arrive. Had anyone else been told this and if so did anyone get an ETA ? We also were having trouble getting any info from the dealer and it was only after multiple calls we finally got them to give us a reason for further delays. It is frustrating the lack of transparency . I guess they really don’t like handing out bad news. 
    I just watched part of 60 Minutes for today. The company of Intel in the US and a Chinese company, which both produce “chips” for other companies. Look at the new car lots near your house, can you tell how empty the lot really is?  According to 60 minutes,  each auto manufacturer has thousands of cars in their factory lots because they can’t get enough chips to finish the production of their cars. Due to the super buying spree during Covid of laptops and other items that need chips, the world’s chip manufacturers will catch up by mid-year this year, BUT, with the supply chain built as it is for cars (for instance), it will be an additional 6 to 7 months before the auto industry really catches up. 

What does this have to do with nüCamp?  The RV industry has been totally swamped by last year’s Covid RV buying spree, also. Some parts are used in our T@B’s and the Class B’s—cassette toilets, for instance (at least some of the newer ones). Stoves, Windows, etc. are the same ones used in many other manufacturers’ RV and campers. 

So, think about the supply chain problems by just these two industries, and you can just imagine how not having one small part can complicate the manufacture of just about anything. 

I still haven’t figured out why I never find canned green beans in my local grocery store…..
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited May 2021
    You got to grow the beans before you can can them.  Bean season is just starting, canneries wound get green beans to can until mid and late summer.  Also, fewer farms are growing green beans and peas.  Our area used to have a big cash crop of beans and peas, as they will grow here on the coast.

We had a packing plant which shipped the products out by train.  All gone now, local produce is now grown mostly for local markets and consumption.  The costa bean fields are now gone, and have become houses or state park fields growing pine trees and grass.  There was one field still growing green beans or peas, when we first moved here, it shut down 10 years ago and is now a lot being sold for a house.
    cheers
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Verna - green beans are the new toilet paper...
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I guess so. That’s okay, I froze 111 servings of green beans last fall. The dogs seem to prefer mine to the canned green beans anyway!  I haven’t eaten all of them yet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    we had originally ordered the tab 320 in November with a delivery or March-April. Just spoke with our dealer who now tells me the port hole windows are out of stock with no ETA on arrivals, so our mostly built trailer is sitting at the factory until they arrive. Had anyone else been told this and if so did anyone get an ETA ? We also were having trouble getting any info from the dealer and it was only after multiple calls we finally got them to give us a reason for further delays. It is frustrating the lack of transparency . I guess they really don’t like handing out bad news. 
    I feel you. I sent yet another nicely worded email to my dealer last week and still haven’t heard anything back from them. I’ve said this before but dealers just get in the way. 

This isn’t about shortages due to COVID. I totally understand that and realize a delay was probably inevitable. It’s just the lack of transparency that’s driving me up the wall. 

I’m curious if @LonesomeRoad has had any updates on his order?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    Some areas have early fresh green beans in now.  We got some from over the hill central coastal area) where it is warmer.  @Verna good idea freezing fresh green beans, do you vacuum pack them first or ?
    Cheers
    Our camper is supposed to arrive to our dealer the week of 2 May after coming off line about 18 March. Parts shortages that were unspecified. Gave up asking for info from the dealer and Nucamp.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
    Our camper is supposed to arrive to our dealer the week of 2 May after coming off line about 18 March. Parts shortages that were unspecified. Gave up asking for info from the dealer and Nucamp.
    I’m sure you’re at the I’ll-believe-it-when-I-see-it stage at this point. I’m about at the point you’re at. Nucamp keeps passing the buck to the dealer and is really no help at all. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    I must say the wait is over Made it home safe after 5 days hammer down on the road.I did a once over at the dealer wrote the check and started 10 12 hour days back home no time to camp yet! Believe me the wait will be worth it. I got a good one all systems work great . Hang in there ! Oh I forgot running I 40 I 35 I’ve never done anything like that in my life,Have you?
    One of the last 400  bdl solos built tows great with a 2016 toyota tacoma trd sport with timbren ses to level rig out.
    Ed & Cathy
    retired.          YOURS WILL BE      WORTH THE WAIT !!!
  • radams006radams006 Member Posts: 5
    Ordered our 320 S BD on January 23 and pick it up next week (May 11).  Can't wait!
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock
    2017 Honda Ridgeline
  • CanucktabbyCanucktabby Member Posts: 10
    I’m jealous but happy for you folks about to get your tabs. Still zero word on ours except parts issues... 6. months and counting....