Amps Draw Detail

Hi all,

I did some test for amp draw of all electric components in my TB 320 boondock 2021. 

Tv 1.35 amp
radio 0.15 amp
fan speed 1, 1.1 amp
fan speed 2, 1.6 amp
fan speed 3, 2.0 amp
fridge 2.6 amp
center light 0.35 amp
shower light 0.35 amp
sink light 0.35 amp
accent light 0.85 amp
porch light 0.2 amp
back lights over speakers 0.485 amp
pump 2.2 amp

i Hope this help you understand how many hours you can use your battery when boondock without any solar or charge station. 

Good luck 

Comments

• Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    @Tabee.  Thank you!  Great info and seems about right.  The draw from the lights is surprising.  Good to know.  
  • NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
    Is that fridge the same one that is in 400?  If so that is the Isotherm Cruise 65 which the Mnfg data sheet indicates uses 275 watts over 24 hours so a little under an amp per hour.  I assume you measured while compressor running so at max draw perhaps? 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Nice work.  Can you explain how you measured this?  It would also help to know which fan.  And, exactly which fridge.  As NorCalMike pointed out, it would also help to see the numbers for a "running" fridge with compressor running.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited April 2021
    Is that fridge the same one that is in 400?  If so that is the Isotherm Cruise 65 which the Mnfg data sheet indicates uses 275 watts over 24 hours so a little under an amp per hour.  I assume you measured while compressor running so at max draw perhaps? 
    I am finding temperatures play a huge part in how frequently the compressor needs to run and thus how much it draws. It is really quite efficient in colder weather.

We have similar numbers but not exactly the same. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Mike, nüCamp uses the same AC/DC Isotherm Cruise 65 in the 2021 TaB320 and 400.  The 400 does have an option for a larger 3-way fridge, but the small one is the Cruise 65 with the Danfoss compressor.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    When the compressor is on, it draws 2.6ah. How often it runs is determined largely by the outside temperatures.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TabeeTabee Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for all your responses. I installed a battery monitor that measures every thing coming in and going out. I have the 320 TB 2021 so you see the fridge and fan on YouTube if you like. I wanted to let you know also that is there 0.3 amp parasitic draw on the TB 320 and I would assim may be the same on the 400. This parasitic draw is because of; radio, tv, gas sensor, inverter, and the battery monitor it self. So the way I measured each electric components is to monitor the increase in amp going out. The fridge was measured when compressor was on. I hope this helps. 

Regards

alan
    @pthomas745will be happy to know that I wrapped up my 2021 testing with the Fuse Buddy and completed the new spreadsheet for the 2021 T@b 320 last night.

I hope to have a video out and the spreadsheet in a new blog post this weekend.

Jenn, nice, I would like to see this. Even though there is a parasitic draw of 0.3 amp due to what I have stated, I still do not know how much of it is the battery monitor itself withdrawing. So your fuse tester can show this for me. Thanks so much. Look forward to see your spreadsheet.

alan 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    @jkjenn Yay!  Science!
    @Tabee that small parasitic draw of .3 amp is very close to what my 320 draws (2017).  I have the "off switch" for the television, but none of the other switches for the Jensen, etc. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @jkjenn Yay!  Science!
    @Tabee that small parasitic draw of .3 amp is very close to what my 320 draws (2017).  I have the "off switch" for the television, but none of the other switches for the Jensen, etc. 
    I get about double that for parasitic drain .75ah

0.75 is too much. How did you measure this Jenn?
    Tabee said:
    0.75 is too much. How did you measure this Jenn?
    My Victron BMV battery monitor. 

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    I believe the "parasitic" draw differences are at least partially due to the Solar controller(s) as they are connected directly to the battery. You can see the blue light flashing even with no significant solar input. I've contemplated a (would be complex) switch to deactivate these devices for when no significant solar input during the day is available. But the refrigerator's current trumps all these numbers. Managing that is my solution with limited solar.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
    edited April 2021
    MarkAl said:
    I believe the "parasitic" draw differences are at least partially due to the Solar controller(s) as they are connected directly to the battery. You can see the blue light flashing even with no significant solar input. I've contemplated a (would be complex) switch to deactivate these devices for when no significant solar input during the day is available. But the refrigerator's current trumps all these numbers. Managing that is my solution with limited solar.
    I believe you are correct. The things that I believe contribute to the parasitic drain are the Jensen, the step light, the cassette toilet, tank sensors, USB and 12v outlets (which I do have an additional set of USB fast charging outlets), and the fan. 

My solar was wired directly to the battery so on my project list is to wire them directly to the shunt on my Victron BMV for a more accurate state of charge reading. With almost only factory solar, and only a couple days of portable, solar (100w Renogy Eclipse and Victron controller, with partial sun) and more cloudy than sunny weather, the larger battery bank has kept my 320 running with the fridge for about 10 days, now, and with some fairly limited lights, fan, and Alde use.

I now have a blog post with power consumption spreadsheet and also a list of Fuses and locations for the 2021 T@b 320 available on my blog. On the new spreadsheet, I have tabs (worksheets) for power consumption and then for 75ah, 100ah, 225ah, and 200ah of lithium batteries to help you calculate how many days you can go based on your power consumption and your battery bank size.

In addition to power consumption, I provide a list of Fuses and fuse locations for the 2021 T@b 320.

https://jenngrover.com/power-consumption/

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Is the KIB panel active constantly or just when you touch a button?  I wonder about the SeeLevel monitor, too.  The monitor is blank unless you press a button.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Is the KIB panel active constantly or just when you touch a button?  I wonder about the SeeLevel monitor, too.  The monitor is blank unless you press a button.
    I would think there is some miniscule of drain from that, too.