This #$@*&$# Fridge!

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
The Norcold 3163 3-way fridge in our 2016 T@B Max S has been a pain almost from the start. The only reason I don’t haul the thing out and take it to the landfill is it works PERFECTLY on electric. The first time we had it in to the dealer they cleaned up the burner, and the last time (last week) they replaced the thermocouple. 

Now the green light comes on when we start the fridge as expected. But I don’t feel any heat at the countertop, and the fridge cools to only 50 degrees.

The trailer is level, the ambient temp is 70, and we’ve run the fridge on propane for 24 hours. The propane tank is full and we had the regulator tested so the gas pressure is good.

ANY ideas? 

Apparently parts aren’t available for this stupid thing any longer. Every time we take it in it’s $160/hour and removing and replacing it takes 3 hours.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Hello. Have you tried this: with the fridge set to "off", light one burner of the propane stove for a minute or two, just to make sure the propane is flowing and pressurized. Then turn off the burner, turn the fridge to propane, wait a minute and then light the fridge. 
    My "under-used" "new to me" 2014 T@B 320 S has the same Norcold fridge. Mine fridge works perfectly on propane, so well, that it freezes my food unless I turn it down to "2". Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the green light to stay on when lighting it, but once it's on, it's reliable, cold and quiet. But I do know what you mean about the countertop heating up!
    If your fridge still doesn't cool down, it might need to be replaced. There are a few posts in this category about people who have replaced the Norcold. The newer fridges are surprisingly inexpensive, but it sounds like many of them are "two way" and run just on AC/DC, with no propane option. Provided your battery is good and you have a way to recharge it (solar or generator), you might be ok with a 2-way fridge.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Here's the thread where Ron recently replaced his Norcold with an Isotherm:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/164418#Comment_164418
    Not a cheap solution, but may be your only option.  Sorry to hear this is happening.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    What I’m thinking is to rip this thing out and put a regular no-tech cooler on a pull out drawer. I do like the idea of the electric fridge though.
    Shooting in the dark here - does the computer fan come on when the frig cycles (located behind the gray access panel on the left, below the coils)? I assume you've already checked the three fuses located at the top of the frig under the stove.  Not sure how to check the fluid level (not even sure what "fluid" is used).
    BTW, I once tried putting my 50 quart ARB portable frig in the cabin to augment the Norcold's small capacity (on the driver's side pedestal without the seat cushion).  The ARB was too loud for this application.
    Tabaz said:
    BTW, I once tried putting my 50 quart ARB portable frig in the cabin to augment the Norcold's small capacity (on the driver's side pedestal without the seat cushion).  The ARB was too loud for this application.
    We have an ARB but it doesn’t fit into the space where the fridge is, and there are two of us so we don’t want it on the bench.
    Agreed.  It takes up a lot of real estate.  And its noisy.  Photomom - you are a very experienced T@B owner and valued poster to the forum.  Please take my suggestions with a grain of salt - only offered to you as a last resort to fix this problem. 
    Mellow_Yellow said:when the fridge worked on propane, it worked really well. 
    Hello. Have you tried this: with the fridge set to "off", light one burner of the propane stove for a minute or two, just to make sure the propane is flowing and pressurized. Then turn off the burner, turn the fridge to propane, wait a minute and then light the fridge. 
    My "under-used" "new to me" 2014 T@B 320 S has the same Norcold fridge. Mine fridge works perfectly on propane, so well, that it freezes my food unless I turn it down to "2". Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the green light to stay on when lighting it, but once it's on, it's reliable, cold and quiet. But I do know what you mean about the countertop heating up!
    If your fridge still doesn't cool down, it might need to be replaced. There are a few posts in this category about people who have replaced the Norcold. The newer fridges are surprisingly inexpensive, but it sounds like many of them are "two way" and run just on AC/DC, with no propane option. Provided your battery is good and you have a way to recharge it (solar or generator), you might be ok with a 2-way fridge.
    When the fridge worked in propane, it worked really well, I’d have to be careful not to freeze stuff!
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    For our style of camping we could get by with the using the fridge as a cooler with an ARB  out in the TV.  Certainly more convenient when it works though.  Hope you find a solution.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

edited May 2021
    I really think we will end up with a low tech cooler on a slide out tray. 

We are thinking of selling the T@B in a couple years, I have to think buyers would have an issue with a three way fridge that works in two ways.
  • vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    It is possible that, when the shop replaced the thermocouple, the tech turned the fridge on its side. Those units have to be rocked from side to side on a vertical axis to make sure no gas bubbles are trapped in the ammonium hydrate coolant. Also, the burners should be wire brushed annually to remove rust. It is also possible that loose rust particles re-clogged the burner when the fridge was removed for servicing. Basically, as you imply, you need a good hot combustion on propane to effectively cool. You might verify if the techs took care of those two concerns this time. I used a Norcold 3-way for 20 years and liked it well enough. I like my 2-way Isotherm better.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Another option is to install the Isotherm Cruise 65 fridge.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • T@byredT@byred Member Posts: 8
    I have the  problem of the green light won't stay on. The RV guy asked if I can see the flame?  Not sure were to look. But the ignitor button is it supposed  to click when depressed? It doesn't.  I did the vacuum for debris ( because of the ash we experienced during the LNU fire.)  The fridge works on power but can't get the green light to stay on.    Thanks for your help Debbie in Napa 
  • sjaninsjanin Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2021
    I completely agree with you on the fridge!! I just returned from camping for the second time with warmed and rotting food. I boondock a ton and thankfully I brought my new generator to keep the battery alive and also my fridge running this time. The fridge was working great on shorepower and now after tinkering to diagnose it there is another issue. Ugh!  I wish I could just throw this out and get a two way but that isn't going to work for me. People hate generators so gas is what I need.
    When I get it started on the propane the green light comes on and stays on but the fridge will not cool. Now when pugged into electricity nothing is happening but the fan is running. I had it running well off the battery 2 days ago but that is tough given the generator sucks down gas. Do I throw this thing out and replace it with a yeti cooler. Seems like those don't break down. 

(Edited for language.  Moderator)
    2015 T@B S Max/ Toyota 4Runner/ Boulder, CO
    edited July 2021
    sjanin said:
    I completely agree with you on the fridge!! I just returned from camping for the second time with warmed and rotting food. I boondock a ton and thankfully I brought my new generator to keep the battery alive and also my fridge running this time. The fridge was working great on shorepower and now after tinkering to diagnose it there is another issue. Ugh!  I wish I could just throw this out and get a two way but that isn't going to work for me. People hate generators so gas is what I need.
    When I get it started on the propane the green light comes on and stays on but the fridge will not cool. Now when pugged into electricity nothing is happening but the fan is running. I had it running well off the battery 2 days ago but that is tough given the generator sucks down gas. Do I throw this thing out and replace it with a yeti cooler. Seems like those don't break down. 
    We have been using our old Coleman cooler when camping without electricity, with jugs of frozen water in the fridge to keep drinks cool. 

Our fridge works great on electric, but on propane the green light comes on but the fridge won’t cool below 50F. 
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I used to have a second-hand VW Vanagon and I could NEVER get the refrigerator to work on propane, only shorepower, so I was not surprised that I was not able to get my T@B refrigerator to work on propane.  I don't know if it is "operator error" in my case -- but given how many posts I see about difficulty with using the refrigerators on propane the more I question the design of these things.  I don't think I would be willing to trust my refrigerator (unless I knew I was going to have shore power) so I take a cooler instead.  Disappointing. 
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman