What are these side (marker?) lights for?

Time for a (possibly) dumb question but I can't seem to find this answer so maybe I'm just having a moment - the 2021 Tab 400 has these little LED yellow and red marker lights at the corners, but I don't see them light up under any circumstances - what are they used for?

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    They should light up anytime the TV lights/trailer lights are on. Are your teialerbtail lights coming on as well as the three red lights above the stargazer window?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The side and top rear lights are clearance lights to show a trailer is being towed, so other drivers can see the size of the trailer at night.  Most states require these lights on box cargo trailers and RV trailers.  They are basically a safety measure for night driving.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    TomCanada said:
    . . . 2021 Tab 400 has these little LED yellow and red marker lights at the corners
    . . . . I don't see them light up under any circumstances

While @Denny16 clearly defined the what/why of these lights.

I'm concerned that you have noted they Never Light.
    If that is the case there is a wiring issue . . . Most likely with your TV 7-Pin connector, or fuses in your TV.

These marker lights should turn-on when ever your TV Headlights are On.
    P.S.  They are Important Safety Features.  Many decades ago US DOT started requiring side
    marker lights on standard passenger vehicles to reduce/stop nighttime T-Bone accidents as a vehicle perpendicular to your line of travel can be invisible at night even when that other vehicle has
    it's headlights On.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2021
    Connect the TaB at dusk, with the 7-pin cable to yiur TV, turn on the vehicle ignition (not necessary to start the engine or hitch the trailer up and get close enough to connect the cable) and turn on your vehicle’s lights.  Then walk around the trailer and check all the running lights and clearance lights.  Next, turn on your 4-way emergency flasher, and again check the tail/brake lights to see if the flash bright, then normal.   Check your turn signals, and if all is working, including the clearance lights, then Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 424
    TomCanada said:
    Tab 400 has these little LED yellow and red marker lights at the corners, but I don't see them light up under any circumstances
    To test the side markers use your VOM (amp setting) to jump the two adjacent (on either side of the locator) connectors on the T@B side plug and see if they come on. Or, use a 10 amp fuse or a wire jumper between them. They should light up w/o power from the TV. If they don't you'll need to troubleshoot on the T@B side.
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    Thanks all - I'll try turning the headlights on and report back!  I didn't think to do that - as my lights are headlights are set to automatic so only the daytime running lights illuminate in the day, while the full headlights come on when it's dark..
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    Turn your headlight switch from auto to on.  That may be your issue.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @dlb beat me to it. At least on .y TV, headlight switch must be in "On" position, not "Auto."
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Yup it's on my to-do list.  Day job and rain got in the way of me trying it out today - hopefully tomorrow!
    Sure enough - when I turn my headlights full-on, all the side and rear lights all turn on.  Thanks all!
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Ain't life grand! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Yep. I love it when the solution to a problem is "Oh, it works exactly as it's supposed to!"  If only that happened more often...  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    TomCanada said:
    Sure enough - when I turn my headlights full-on, all the side and rear lights all turn on.  Thanks all!
    Great. Those side markers are really important when you're cruising in the right hand lane at night and someone is merging onto the freeway. After a couple of close calls with my boat trailer I ended up putting reflectors across the entire right side of the frame. Maybe we need reflective "splats" for the side of the T@B.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    As soon as I plug in my trailer, I do a walk around with lights on and make sure all are working, then turn signals, then brake lights. Obviously the OP must not of towed after dark since getting the Tab nor checked the lights. IMO automatic lights are attempting to solve a problem that really shouldn't exist and in the process have caused issues like reported here. I can operate a light switch and drive with my lights on 💯 of the time, way before DRL and automatic lights were the thing.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I agree @N7SHG_Ham.  I don’t use the automatic selection as I always have my lights on while driving, towing or not.  It became a habit years ago from parking in a dark employee garage.  Once less thing to think about or remember. 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio