How loud is your water pump?

2017 CS-S

Winterized/dewinterized by the dealer. This year they said the water pump was damaged and replaced it at dealer expense. Cool.

But it's really loud. Was it always this loud (I might have happy memories)? Or did the dealer possibly replace with a cheap loud substitute?

After we get unpacked and cleaned up I'll probably go see if there's a label on it.
2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
Camping under the Big Sky

Comments

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    It is very loud. Sounds like a jackhammer. Tried the suggestions on the forum but nothing helped, next thing to try is adjusting the pressure on the pump itself.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    It's a normally loud, some hammering, as it pressurizes the lines.  After that it's pretty quiet when it kicks on. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    >>LOUD<<
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    Thank you from keeping me from going to start a fight with my RV dealer at 95F :-)
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    They’re all loud.
    That said, the screws that mount it may need a bit of tightening. And in some Tab models, you may benefit from a bit of pipe insulation in spots. Once I tightened the screws on mine and insulated the pipes in the shower wall, the noise level muted noticeably.

It’s still louder than I like, this is one item that hasn’t benefitted from advances in technology. Same pump manufacturer and same noise-level as in my first motorhome 30 years ago. 🙄
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    Yes they are all loud!  Especially when pressurizing the lines.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Mine bangs sway. Some pulsing of water flow from faucets. New pump too. Exactly the same pump. Prrssure switch failed on old one.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Tundra57, If the pump is banging it may still have some air in the lines.  Hook up,to city/shore water and fully pressurize your water lines, galley and shower.  Then turn off shore water and try the pump again, it should be a little quieter with a constant hum sound.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    Agreed.  It is relatively loud, but once the air is purged mine works well and pretty 'consistently'.
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited June 2021
    Our pump was crazy loud when we first got our camper with water hammer noise in several areas. We added some pipe insulation to areas where the lines were vibrating and that helped a lot. To remove air in the lines, we do the following with the pump on:
    1. Run toilet, sinks, and indoor/outdoor showers until they run smoothly on cold and hot water
    2. Create the air cushion for the Alde by following this guide:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxjsHMQ_qkk
    3. Open the low point drain valves briefly if issue persists, then try step 1 again
    Any residual noise usually works itself out as we use the camper over the next day or so.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    Oh thank you very much. I'll try that next time.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Agreed.  It is relatively loud, but once the air is purged mine works well and pretty 'consistently'.
    Yep. Getting the air purged seems to be the bugaboo for me, and I've yet to figure out a reliable method to make it happen. Some times everything settles right in, other times the pump complains for most of the trip.

Hmmm. That could describe me, too...  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited June 2021
    I havent seen it mentioned yet in this thread but cleaning the strainer basket on the pump might help. I have also had luck with rotating the strainer basket position slightly to purge any air that may be trapped there, provided your type of fittings allow for the adjustment. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO