Options

Running Both Air Con & Alde to Control Humidity?

This past week we had an afternoon and night of thunderstorms and showers where the humidity in the camper reached the high 80s. The air conditioner was set for 72-73, but the compressor just wasn’t running enough to remove humidity.  Thinking back on that situation, and now I’m wondering if I could have run the Alde heat in conjunction with the air conditioner to “force” the a/c compressor to run more, thereby reducing the humidity.  Has anyone tried that?

Comments

• Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    Yes, I do it sometimes.  It does work.
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You could also set the CoolCat AC to 60-degrees F to kick the compressor on…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    I don't like it humid; if it is 70 and humid, I sweat.  My wife doesn't like the temps much below 75 in the summer or she gets too cold. So, we like it moderately cool and dry. There are many places where the temps will drop at night while the humidity climbs to bears 100%. It is cool so there is no dehumidification.
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited July 2021
    We have found that running the AC fan constantly results in about 70% average humidity. When we run the fan on Auto, the average humidity drops to around 50%.
    Here are a couple screenshots from our Govee meter. These trends are holding after several overnight tests. I'm uploading these on my phone so let me  know if they're not large enough to read.
    Fan on Auto

Fan on Low/High (constant)
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The Air8 has a dehumidifier mode which is really.nice for this. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    TNOutback said:
    This past week we had an afternoon and night of thunderstorms and showers where the humidity in the camper reached the high 80s. The air conditioner was set for 72-73, but the compressor just wasn’t running enough to remove humidity.  Thinking back on that situation, and now I’m wondering if I could have run the Alde heat in conjunction with the air conditioner to “force” the a/c compressor to run more, thereby reducing the humidity.  Has anyone tried that?
    So I am not confused, does the 2020 400 have the Air8 or the CoolCat? I know my 2019 has the CoolCat and we have been hot and humid here in TN and the unit removes a lot of humidity in just a short time (say 45 min and the humidifier reads around 60% or less with temps in the mid 70s. I have the thermostat at 68 and the compressor cycles fine and a lot of water drips from the unit. I read there were some adjustments discussed to the Air8 to improve its performance in hot and humid conditions, so wondering if that could apply here.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    In the 400, the Air8 was used starting with the 2020 model.  The 2021 models have the CoolCat.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    A dehumidifier mode would be great if you didn’t want/need to condition (lower) the interior temperature as well.  If the outside and inside temperatures are about the same though (like during a rain event), and you want some air conditioning, the compressor just doesn’t run enough to pull out the moisture.  That situation is where I was thinking about running some heat to force the a/c compressor to run more to keep it at a comfortable temperature.  I could certainly set the thermostat to 60, but I don’t want it that cold in the camper!
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    Just set your AC to 60 and the Alde to 70, or whatever target temperature you prefer.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA