Uncomfortable Cushions on 2021 TaBs

KioskKiosk Member Posts: 32
edited August 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
The cushions which fold up and down are firm enough, but the removal dinette cushions are so soft that one can feel the bottom, and are terribly uncomfortable for sleeping! Can anyone tell me which foam to buy to replace existing foam? Ie to match ones in fold down seats
i admit that I am somewhat surprised in the difference in quality, we have used the trailer a total of 6 days, 5 not so comfy nights!
Thanks in advance for anyones help. I did place call to nucamp as well

Comments

• SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Mine weren't too soft but I hated them for sleeping.  I bought 2 single foamies from the Foam Shop that are the perfect size.  I made mattress covers for them and leave them stacked together and across the back seat so we can still use the dining area. 
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
  • mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I can't help with how to replace the foam but like @SusanD, I came at the problem from a different angle and simply put my 1.5" thermarest pad on top.  It smooths out the inconsistencies and deflates and rolls up compactly for daytime storage. 
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
    We bought a FLOT queen sized (1 1/2" thick) memory foam topper..cut it to shape and put it into a king duvet cover...works perfect and rolls up easily up...my back and hips do not hurt after sleeping on this beauty!

2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • KioskKiosk Member Posts: 32
    thanks for al. advice, i really want to replace foam, as with kayak and canoe stuff adding is my last choice.  
    Love to Toronto, hugs to kiosk! Miss tripping, not mossies! hope our smoke is not tooo bad, sorrrry! Weather out here 77 today!
  • CanucktabbyCanucktabby Member Posts: 10
    Like you, we have used our 2021 320 a total of about ten days and me, at 132 pounds is bottoming out on the dinette cushions, it’s pretty bad. The foam density in those cushions is not at all like the other back cushions. We called nucamp to complain and they are sending out brand new cushions. We asked if the foam density would now be the same as the back cushions and they sort of shrugged the question off and was indeterminate. I guess it remains to be seen when they arrive. Might want to try it and see what you they send you. We suspect they used different foam to finish a lot of the trailers off due to the shortage of rv foam. If the new cushions are no better, we will be upgrading the foam ourselves . See pics we sent nucamp using 45 pound weights on the bad cushions vs the good cushion
  • renesadaerenesadae Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2021
    @CanucktabbyLet us know what they end up sending you.
    Dave & René
    1/1/21 Retirement Life Begins!
    Chocolate Subie Ascent, Silver T@B CS-S, 4 spoked wheels, 2 ol' legs - we're good!
    Oregon <--everywhere--> Hawai'i otherwise
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    I have this same complaint on my 2021 400...the dinette cushions crush & bottom out, either sitting or lying on them in bed mode. The rear bed cushions don't - which I'm glad for!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    i will all again tomorrow, thanks for info!
  • Charlie_FYFMCharlie_FYFM Member Posts: 23
    I've heard nothing but complaints about the cushions in the Tab ever since becoming interested in Nucamp trailers  It can't be that difficult or expensive to deliver a better factory solution.  I'm sure that are many current owners who would order them.  Not to mention the positive publicity Nucamp will get. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    NuCamp upgraded the cushions with the 2017 year.  I have seen complaints with the 2021 models.  Supply chain issues?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2021
    • Yes indeed our cushions are way to soft also in a March 2021 build. As we looked at these campers from 2018, 2019, 2020 and ordered a solo 400 BDL 2021 in October of 2020.I get the supply chain issues,But come on nucamp why would you put substandard cushions in the top of the line campers. I feel like we got somewhat cheated with the quality on the cushions.Step up nucamp we all love are campers, Well rested campers are happy campers. nucamp please take notice!
    • 2021 t@b 400 solo BDL. 2016 Taco sport  V6 
    Edit my only complaint is the dinette seat cushions 
    Thanks for your redo, looks great and bet it sits better. I am going to quiz nucamp on this and see if they will cover this cost.If they get a lot of negative feed back they just make good.I will be patient.

I will try to upload picts again, i weigh 103 lbs, these weights are LESS, notice back cushions hardly depressed
    we are hoping for good response from nucamp, at least sending specifications of two types of foam in our camper, i would rathrr have paid a bit more for decent cushions, 
    S
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    Weird, mine which arrived in June 2021 has cushions which are too hard!

2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    We have the same complaint with our 2021 400 dinette and bed cushions.
    For the bed we bought an  8" innersping mattress from Mattress Insider, removed the Frolis which were also bottoming out and replaced them with a Tochta HyPUR-Flo mat. The bed is MUCH more comfortable now.
    We have new cushion cores coming for the dinette under warranty and will report back when we receive them. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited August 2021
    rhyno said:
    We have the same complaint with our 2021 400 dinette and bed cushions.
    For the bed we bought an  8" innersping mattress from Mattress Insider, removed the Frolis which were also bottoming out and replaced them with a Tochta HyPUR-Flo mat. The bed is MUCH more comfortable now.
    We have new cushion cores coming for the dinette under warranty and will report back when we receive them. 
    I'm very intersested to hear if the new foam they provide is different (and better) than the original. The too soft dinette cushions are my only complaint about my 2021 400. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 365
    I've heard nothing but complaints about the cushions in the Tab ever since becoming interested in Nucamp trailers  It can't be that difficult or expensive to deliver a better factory solution.  I'm sure that are many current owners who would order them.  Not to mention the positive publicity Nucamp will get. 

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 365
    Hi,

We have a 2021 320 BD.  We think the cushions are firm as @jcrystal said above.  Ours was completed in July 2021.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • kennethrmccallkennethrmccall Member Posts: 3

Two Track LIGHT AND VERSATILE FOAM CORE, SELF-INFLATING, COLD-WEATHER PAD from Big Agnes is what we use. problem solved

https://www.bigagnes.com/Two-Track?quantity=1&custcol7=12&custcol15=1

• TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    edited August 2021
    I have been cursing our 2021 dinette cushions as being not necessarily too soft initially but that they got butt grooves extremely quickly - I'm talking within 20 hours of 165 pound butt time.  The foam is frankly trash so I've been doing some research and this weekend I'm replacing the foam in the small cushion ad a test.  The important thing to note with foam is there are two specs: density and firmness.  Firmness is obvious and is personal preference. Density in the other hand is how heavy the foam is - the heavier the foam, the longer it will last (and the more it costs).  Pricier furniture or stuff like yacht cushions are made from the good stuff. Most department store furniture is the garbage stuff - or even fiber fill.  Which is why my 15 year old Natuzzi couch still feels great to sit on, but my 1 year old Ashley couch is soft and indented all over.

So go for the highest density foam you can find in the firmness you like.  It can be costly - my piece for the small dinette seat set me back $80 with batting - but way cheaper than paying someone to do it.  Here are a couple of in-progress photos showing old and new cushion.. I believe this new foam is about 2.8lbs per cubic foot density (will look that up). It definitely feels way heavier than the old one.  I'll weigh them both once I get the new one cut out and calculate the density of the old one to prove how crappy a spec of foam nucamp used for these..stay tuned..

I am 105 lbs, we have those wrinkles after one 6 day trip, unreal for $$ we paid!

Yes i saw specs, i really want dinette cushion to match back cushions for an even sleep area, therefore all the drama!
    do yours match firmness with you purchased foam? Would love to hear your opinion and specs of foam
    i am going to boat cushion place tomorrow lots here in bellingham.

Ps as an old, but current backpacker and camper, i have several inflatable and a pair of the new air mattress for the  ultra lite back packing up grade that we did and none solve problem of SUCH an uneven  sleeping surface, due to huge disparity  in foam densities

i think i would remove the  back cushions and just go with plywood, if i need to go with inflatable or other mattresses, at least no rocks to surprise your husband at at 2am!

it does look like some trailers got better foam,
     to prospective buys, put things you want in writing, the trailer that we previewed on lot had dinette cushions of equal density to back cushions, our salesman was honest about battery life, we were just naive, not being boat or  trailer owners! Bring a spare headlamp is easy! Lol
    thanks so much again to everyone, backpacker to trailer is big leap, but overall it is really nice to have! Especially when raining, 
    edited August 2021
    For those not wanting to read my essay above - short summary is: Nucamp's foam on the dinette seat cushions in the 2021 Tab 400 is pretty garbage quality, at just 1.2lb density. If you're replacing it, go with something more durable (2.5lbs density or higher preferably).  Fairly easy project - you just need an electric knife, a block of good foam, some Dacron/batting wrap, a sharpie, and some basic fabric glue (spray or bottle).

Ps. For Tab 400 seats, you'll want 4" thick foam.
    Pps. For anyone in the Toronto area, www.eversoft.ca is where I got mine - and they allow pickups at their Vaughan location to save on shipping.
    It looks fabulous! You are kind to put on web so quickly!
    thanks for all tips, essay is needed! 4” thick on tab320as well, i will go with your type of foam, 
    thanks again! :)
    hugs to O canada, missing ca rockies!

Kiosk said:
    It looks fabulous! You are kind to put on web so quickly!
    thanks for all tips, essay is needed! 4” thick on tab320as well, i will go with your type of foam, 
    thanks again! :)
    hugs to O canada, missing ca rockies!

Good luck with your project if you take it on - can't wait until the border opens up so we can do some travelling down there!
  • SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Just want to add my voice to the chorus. I got my 2021 tab 320 last summer. There is a definite difference between the dinette and the bench padding.  I'm 110lbs and I find the dinette cushions too squishy.  It still looks fine but I worry that it will break down at the front edge pretty easily.  Will eventually upgrade the foam myself but given many of us are fairly small people, this isn't a problem we should be having.
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
    Sailrite.com,in indiana, $150 for 2.7lb/cc foam,  4x24x80 in, plus dacron $30, plus $30 shipping plus tax
    coming in 3 days,
    nucamp says their foam company still not returning their calls, but they think foam is the same on all cushions, i sent them copy of  thread in an email, since they  said they do not read forum
    it continues…..
    Kiosk said:
    Sailrite.com,in indiana, $150 for 2.7lb/cc foam,  4x24x80 in, plus dacron $30, plus $30 shipping plus tax
    coming in 3 days,
    nucamp says their foam company still not returning their calls, but they think foam is the same on all cushions, i sent them copy of  thread in an email, since they  said they do not read forum
    it continues…..
    Good luck!  A little surprising that nucamp doesn't know the specs of their own cushions.  They must have just specified dimensions and left it to the vendor to choose the foam, so of course the vendor would naturally choose the cheapest stuff possible to maximize their profits :)  Keep us posted what you find out!
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    NuCamp Customer Service is aware of the cushion foam issue and nuCamp is working with the foam vendor.  Not sure what will happen moving forward.  🤞
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Nucamp replied, they will replace cushions with same cushion,
    foam company still not giving them specifications about foam, which as noted by tom canada above is cheap and below average industry standards. I told them no need to pollute  environment with more inadequate cushions
    they just do not care, and wasted my time, not the fault of women who work in office!

I told them people would pay more quality, at least those who sleep on cushions, they could offer options
    to replace foam on my two large cushions has cost is 264 plus fab glue, small cushions would be the same unless i can find another source as they have min sizes

i do not mind $, i do mind evasiveness and lack of information from nucamps supplier and nucamp not demanding specs which they could do, IF they cared, 
    So if you are buying a new camper ask for adequate cushions or reduction of price to replace, a boat upholstery place would charge prob less than i am paying as they get wholesale stuff but charge professional labor which will take a much shorter amount time than it is going to take me, unskilled labor! (with an admitted bad attitude at this point)

Option 2 remove all cushions a replace  with mattress, option 3 carry around more stuff to put on top of or underneath cushions $33,000 only to use a thermarest ??, insanity) i need room for other adventure toys and of course many cute outdoor shoes!

thanks again everyone and esp to tom canada who solved the mystery, problem!!!