Aero Flo Vent Cover

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
I chose the white Aero Flow vent cover since they don't have a red one ;). I installed it today, so now I can have the Fantastic Fan vent open any time I want. 
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Looks great, how difficult was it to install?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It took a bit over an hour, climbing a ladder on each side. Longer arms would have made it easier, but I got it done. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna, are you at a campground?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

No, that was in my driveway after dark last night. 

I leave Tuesday for 12 days of camping, including the CRA.  Then to Tearstock.  Three weeks (almost) of camping.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 197
    I think I need one of these.  Does it restrict airflow at all?  Any special handling required?
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    Transitioned from 2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx to 2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have the MaxAir-II and no, it doesn't restrict the airflow at all. Sure is nice to have when it's raining/snowing, can still have the vent open and fan on.
    Torrential downpour with high winds right now (49 to 60 mph), and the inside of the T@B is dry even though my vent is open a bit while sitting on my driveway.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 197
    Any significant differences between MaxAir-II and AeroFlo?  I definitely need one, since I opened the fan cover yesterday afternoon because of the high temp and humidity and forgot to close it when it stormed last night.  I was surprised that the inside was only damp.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    Transitioned from 2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx to 2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
    AeroFlo looks more aerodynamic to me, Beth. I've put two on (Silver Shadow and T@B) and it's easy. The MaxAir covers I have seen look a bit boxy. Personal opinion. 

Even with it all of the ladder climbing it only took about an hour to install the AeroFlo by myself. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Ya, Verna's looks sleeker, lower. But I like my smoked gray tint better :-)
    PXLated said:
    Ya, Verna's looks sleeker, lower. But I like my smoked gray tint better :-)

The smoked gray tint looked better on my Silver Shadow, too.  This white looks better on the white body. ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Verna, is your Tab a 2016? I understand that on mine I will have to drill holes to mount the vent cover because the fantastic fan is now mounted with out holes. Did you have to drill?
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

Bob, mine is a 2014.  You do not have to drill into the roof, no matter what year.   I didn't have to drill into the roof on my 2011 Silver Shadow.  Trust me, you drill into the Fantastic Fan.  Here's a quick walk-through, but be sure to read your insturctions.

You drill four 5/32" holes into the flange of the Fantastic Fan.  Then you take four "L" shaped brackets, screw them into these holes, after putting a supplied bolt up through the bottom of the "L" bracket. 

Then you lay the bottom half of the vent onto the 4 bolts, add two washers and a nut, tighten, and then attach the top part of the vent cover. 

I did lay a thick padded quilt over the side of the T@B so I wouldn't damage her trim  with my extention ladder laying up against one top.  I used a step ladder on the other side. 

But, you do not have to drill into the roof.  You drill into the upright flange of the FF.  Trust me ;)

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Thanks Verna. Yes, I trust you!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Verna said:

Bob, mine is a 2014.  You do not have to drill into the roof, no matter what year.   I didn't have to drill into the roof on my 2011 Silver Shadow.  Trust me, you drill into the Fantastic Fan.  Here's a quick walk-through, but be sure to read your insturctions.

You drill four 5/32" holes into the flange of the Fantastic Fan.  Then you take four "L" shaped brackets, screw them into these holes, after putting a supplied bolt up through the bottom of the "L" bracket. 

Then you lay the bottom half of the vent onto the 4 bolts, add two washers and a nut, tighten, and then attach the top part of the vent cover. 

I did lay a thick padded quilt over the side of the T@B so I wouldn't damage her trim  with my extention ladder laying up against one top.  I used a step ladder on the other side. 

But, you do not have to drill into the roof.  You drill into the upright flange of the FF.  Trust me ;)

What she said!

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • pprater123pprater123 Member Posts: 6
    We love our vent cover we bought black to help keep out light.  It is nice to have ventilation.   The only problem  is it adds height to your trailer which could be a problem  when storing.  Also not sure if cover will work with it on??
    They do add some height - I keep forgetting it's up there. Almost got it when I had to go under a picknick shelter to get out of a small campground.
    We love our vent cover we bought black to help keep out light.  It is nice to have ventilation.   The only problem  is it adds height to your trailer which could be a problem  when storing.  Also not sure if cover will work with it on??
    I haven't tried my cover yet, but based on the fit of my Paha Que 4-wie cover, and reports from other owners, I'm sure it will fit. If not, Paha Que will make it right. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Verna, I'm using the same vent cover and T@B cover as you are.  I've encountered no problems.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
    The one I have can be removed by pulling four pins so if the cover doesn't fit with it on, it's easy to take off. If for some reason (or some how) something gets inside it, you can pull the pins from one side and tilt it up to get in there.
    I have the smoke gray - doesn't block all the light like the black model or get too bright like the white.
    When I put the smoke color Aero Flow on the Silver Shadow, I was very disappointed that I could no longer see the light from outside. I'm looking forward to seeing outside light again. And, I can take a nap in full sunlight, so I really don't believe the white one will bother me. 

PXLated, I can unscrew two screws and the top will hinge and can be removed. But I normally don't take a ladder tall enough to do that. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Me either - If I need to get in, it'll have to wait until I'm visiting someone :-)
  • TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I bought a cover last year and have been trying to get up my nerve to do the ladder thing to install it.  I'm 5'2" and hubby says I'm too short, but he can't help so it's just me.  Wondering how much weight the roof can handle if I kind of lay across it enough to reach the FF.  Any insight/encouragement?
    Martha in VT: '15 T@B CS-S Max H@ppy C@mper with '16 GMC Sierra 1500 
    I'm short and have to rest my body/chest on the roof when I need to get the hood off to clean everything. I wouldn't go to the point of crawling up and sitting on it but felt solid enough to rest on.
  • RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Can you go thru an 8 foot garage door with the fan cover in place?
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Ramrod, nope!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    PXlated: that's what I was thinking.  Thank you.
  • KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    I installed the same one Verna but in smoky color. It's a pretty easy job. My fan base required that I make the smaller drill holes and use the self threading screws. The instructions indicate that some fan installations use drill thru hole with the bolts with nuts.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 61
    We decided that we need a roof vent cover so we can run the fan when it’s raining. It looks like the AeroFlow 40421 is only available in white. Our 2015 Max Q is silver with black trim so we are leaning toward a black cover. I called Camco and they said their 40443 vent is black but it is 1” taller than the AeroFlow. That doesn’t seem like much of a difference. Has anyone had experience with the taller cover?
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2018