Options

Groan/creak when accelerating?

Hi, All - longtime lurker, first-time poster.  We have a 2019 320-S Boondock lite that we purchased in December 2020 in great condition.  We're hauling it with a 2021 Explorer with a tow package.  

We've been on 8-10 weekend trips that were 100-200 miles round trip. On the last one, i noticed that when we'd accelerate from stopped, there would be a slight groan/creak noise as we got started.  You could also sort of feel it in the tow vehicle, almost like there was a very slight resistance or friction in the trailer.  By the end of the trip, i could hear/feel it a little sporadically even when we were already moving.

The original owner had installed an electric trailer brake but we've never used it.  I thought maybe it was our hitch ball getting some friction but i'm worried it might be something in the trailer wheels/axle or something going on with the trailer brakes.

I hunted the forums but couldn't find anything that seemed to fit this description.  We have a maintenance scheduled as soon as possible (unfortunately a month away) but wondering if anyone has any insights, as i'd like to take this out for another trip between now and when a mechanic can look at it.

Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    A couple of quick checks might help isolate the problem. You could jack the trailer up one side at a time. Make sure the jack is on the frame, not the axle. Block the other tire. The use of a jack stand at this point is best. Spin the tire and listen for a grinding noise and check for spinning resistance. There will likely be a little noise but the tire should spin fairly freely. Spin it both directions.  This is a crude brake test.

With the tire still in the air, grab the tire and see if there is any side-to-side or top to bottom play. There should be none or at the most very little. Also listen for a low "growling" noise as you spin the tire.  This is a crude bearing check.

If things check out, take the trailer for a spin around the block (or a mile or so). Feel the brake drums for heat. If they’re hot to the touch you’ve got something dragging inside.  Or one side might feel hotter than the other, indicating a problem there.

That being said, I'd be reluctant to take the trailer on another trip without getting this resolved.  If you found a problem using the steps above, it needs to get resolved.  If you didn't find a problem .... it still needs to get resolved.  From your description it sounds like the issue might be progressing which is not a positive sign.  Better a postponed trip than a breakdown or accident!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    You said you aren’t using the trailer brakes?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    edited September 2021
    I get groans and creaks if I’ve missed breakfast, but seriously, try applying a bit of grease to the hitch ball. 
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Also, tighten all the bolts connecting the coupler to the trailer frame.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2021
    @ItsRaininInSeattle, you need to add a brake controller to your Explorer or get something like a Curt Echo to control thevTaB brakes, which are part of the nüCamp build.  Washington and California require the brakes be in working condition on any trailer equipped by the manufacturer with brakes .  The TaB 320 is still a heavy trailer, whilst it is around 2,000 empty, and it can weigh closer to 3,000 lbs loaded with water and camping gear.  

In Washington state, “any trailer weighing 3,000 or more, or having a CVW that is greater than 40% of the tow vehicle’s GVWR towing rating, must have working brakes.  
    While the TaB320 is on the border of this regulation, given its mass, it would be prudent to have the brakes correctly, and safer on the highway.

The cracking and frowning is probably coming from the trailer hitch and receiver on the Explorer.  All receiver and coup,ER draw bars have some slack in them, which creates some motion on startup land braking.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    You all might be on the right track with the focus on the ball/hitch/coupler. I suspect you are. 

But I’d feel better just giving a listen to the wheel end of things. I had a 2018 TAG and in the first year I had a piece of brake lining come unbonded from the backing plate and grind away for a bit. So even though it sounds like the brakes aren’t being used, things can happen inside that drum. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - this is incredibly helpful.  On my list are checking the wheels, greasing the ball, tightening the bolts, and getting my brake controller set up.  And maybe some tent camping in the near term.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2021
    @ItsRaininInSeattle, You may want to try adding a hitch tightener.  This stopped similar noises for us..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111955/#Comment_111955

PS:  Not using electric brakes?  Why not?  It may save some wear on the TV and avoid safety issues in slippery conditions.  It's required in our state & we have an annual safety inspection/sticker (though they have only ever asked about brakes & never actually inspected them or done a test drive).

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
    Hitch stabilizer!!! We experienced same!
    HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA