Options

Do you do anything to winterize the Alde system itself? (T@B 320s)

The instructions tell you to drain everything, put the switches in bypass mode and then run anti-freeze through the lines. (Which I have already done)
But what about the lines up beyond the bypass lines or how about the hot water tank in the Alde itself?
I know I opened the drains, but wouldn't there be some residual water in there somewhere?

(2019 T@B 320s)

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Perhaps, but a little residual water won't hurt anything as it should have room to expand in the event that it freezes. It's when a pipe/tank/whatever is full that the freezing water has no place to expand and damages the thing trying to contain it.

That said, there was a discussion here recently about using antifreeze in the Alde, The general consensus seems to be it won't hurt anything, provided you are not using the Alde while it contains antifreeze. So, I guess if it gives you peace of mind and you don't mind purchasing and disposing of an additional three gallons of antifreeze, go ahead and fill the entire system.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    OmniphilOmniphil Member Posts: 50
    Ok, that certainly sounds good enough. We will use the Alde on propane for heat only now that the weather has started to get cold enough...

Thanks!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    To clarify, if you are using the Alde at all--even just for cabin heat--you may want to avoid filling it with antifreeze. There is some concern that certain antifreezes with a low boiling point may cause issues if heated.

For more info, check out this discussion and video.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    OmniphilOmniphil Member Posts: 50
    Yes, I wont fill it with anti-freeze. Just do the bypass vales and fill the rest of the camper with anti-freeze.
  • Options
    NanabirdieNanabirdie Member Posts: 17
    I'm wondering if there IS some residual water in the hot water tank, will it heat and show a reading in the Alde display panel? I tried turning on the Alde heat (propane only) and watched the glycol and water temps for a few minutes. The water went from 36F to 84F within just a few minutes. The water temp went from 34F to 45F in the same time. My understanding is that one can use the Alde heat after the camper has been winterized, as long as anti-freeze wasn't introduced into the tank. Is there any way of knowing what's in there? The bypass lever was up, so it shouldn't have gotten any in, but I may have some water as very little drained out when I opened the yellow valve. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    edited November 2021
    @Nanabirdie - the best way to know if your Alde water tank is drained, is to first assure that it is filled, then put a bucket under the valve when you drain it.  It should drain about 2.5 gallons (2.2 gal. Per the Air Force guy video). A little left behind will not damage the tank as there is room to expand as ice.

Good question about the temperature reflecting residual water.  It may just be reflecting the heat gain from glycol tank.  IDK.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NanabirdieNanabirdie Member Posts: 17
    Thank you! I will do that next time for sure. The video posted by ScottG really helped reassure me that I'm probably not at risk for anything breaking, and if some gets left in there it would be ok. I so appreciate all this info!