Options

What to do with the tool for the spare tire

My spare tire was mounted for me on the tongue of the trailer.  I took the tool out since I don't need it but now I'm debating if I can just recycle it. No one seems to like putting the spare underneath, but I'm concerned if I sell my camper down the road that someone will eventually want it.  I live in a really small place with no excess storage so if rather not have it hanging around forever.  What do you l think?
2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Recycle it, not having it for a future sale will not affect anything in the long run. The new owner can always buy one back or put it underneath if they desire (very doubtful).

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Keep it.  It amazes my how many people modify these trailers.  Then get upset a year down the line when their modification doesn’t please all the prospective buyers.
    Get rid of it?  How are you going to deal with a flat?
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    As someone who would LOVE to be able to store the spare under the tongue, I’d be very annoyed if the tool I needed to do that wasn’t included and perhaps was no longer available to buy elsewhere…stuff gets discontinued all the time. Plenty of so-called upgrades and mods can be a potential buyer’s reason to skip over your rig in favor of purchasing another.

Now I’m wondering if a Boondock spare would work under the tongue on a pre-2021 320. Hmmm…
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    edited November 2021
    That same tool has an adapter that lets you raise and lower the stabilizing jacks - I'd hang onto it.  Mine stores underneath in the passenger side seat compartment and doesn't take up hardly any space.  Even though I don't always use it for the stabilizers, I just rest easy keeping things all together in one place - they simply get lost otherwise for me.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    I use an impact drill for anything related to stabilizers or changing a tire BUT I did keep the tool in my shed for resale. I’ll probably never use it but who knows if the new owner will want it or not. Make the trailer yours in terms of mods but always have resale in mind…most of us will sell our trailer at some point. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Thanks for the thoughts.  I'm not entirely sure some of us are talking about the same tool.  I've attached a picture below.  I have absolutely no idea how it would be used.  The thing is, the dealer, or Nucamp, bolted this huge heavy metal piece on the tongue to hold the spare so I doubt anyone would move the spare from its current location.  But maybe....

• Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    @SusanD, thanks for the clarification.  That's the cable lift mechanism that pulls the spare up under the trailer tongue.  Definitely no reason to haul that around with you in the T@B.  As others have said, the next buyer may like the under-tongue arrangement but If you don't have a storage place for it... well, then metal recycling would be the right step.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited November 2021
    @SusanD My answer doesn’t change. 

A.) I am the potential buyer that would prefer the tire under the tongue rather than waste some priceless, easily accessible outside storage space on a spare (that with any luck will almost never be used). I want this so much that I’ll be asking my dealer this week if this bracket can work with a 2019 320 Boondock. 

B.) Buyers usually do their research, and expect that things which are standard features for your model will actually be present when you sell. The very first thing I did was remove the TV and the Lagun table, both of which take up more storage space in my basement than that bracket would. I know that just because I’m not using something doesn’t mean the next owner camps exactly the same way I do, and so I store pretty much everything I mod so the trailer can easily be restored to 99% stock. 

Obviously, you do you. But I’d see if another Tabber wants it before I tossed it. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    Yeah, not the tool I thought you were referring to.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    Pretty funny. Among the numerous excised parts from my T@B, I even still have the plastic trim strip from the keder rail.

And no, I'm not a hoarder, but maybe a little AR about retaining the ability to return things to their original state for whatever unforeseen reason.  :-)

I say keep the part. YMMV!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @ScottG I too have the black trim from the keder rail! 
    @VictoriaP definitely ask Apache because when I had mine in for service earlier this year, they asked if I wanted that hanger thing installed so I could take the spare off the tongue.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Thanks everyone for weighing in.  Reading your comments is like listening to my brain.  No clear answer...  Maybe I'll just shove it away in some dark recess of my home.  And hopefully I won't forget where I put it when it's time to sell!