Options

Reading lights - Tab 320 2021

After a number of our trips this summer we determined that the reading lamps needed to go. The LED lights are SO bright and weren't really useful as reading lamps. We wanted a reading lamp that was adjustable and wouldn't be so obnoxiously bright if one of us wanted to sleep while the other was reading. These fit the bill perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXVD4HN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not only are they adjustable but they have a blue nightlight feature and USB ports.

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Looks great, is the blue light always on?
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 315
    webers3 said:
    Looks great, is the blue light always on?
    No. The blue light can be used as a night light but can be turned off.
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 348
    edited November 2021
    I also installed those Iights and love love love  them.  A few "voice of experience" comments:
    1. I also installed them as shown in your photo - with the blue on- off button directly under the stem for the shade. That is a really awkward spot for the switch- quite hard to reach. I reinstalled both lights with the switch on a 45 degree angle which makes them much easier to use. I'm as much a slave to symmetry as the next guy, but I do think that the switches symmetrically tilted toward the center looks fine. 
    2. The 45 degree tilt also makes it easier to install the driver's side fixture... hard to get to the Allen head set screw on that side. 
    3. Pay attention when installing the mounting ring. There is a raised lip which engages the Allen head screw. I'm not too embarrassed to say that I installed it wrong on one fixture and had it fall off in my hand a few trips latter! 
    4. Other visible "mods"- the black foam corner guard is adhered to a light aluminum angle to keep from ruining the cabinet finish.   The picture frames have magnets to hold the front piece to the rear, so we change out our adventure pictures often. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 460
    I installed a fan speed control on my Fantastic Fan, at the time I had to buy 4 to get the one I needed but figured they may come in handy. Sure enough I found the two reading lights also were too bright and installed the dimmer (Pulse Width Modulator / voltage adjuster) on those two lights and the super bright yellow porch light. They work great for lights and fan. The lights look stock but can be dimmed. The added benefit on the fan was I used a variable resistor with a switch and combined both in the existing OFF-1-2-3 position.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2021
    Be aware that a 12v USB port can have a 'phantom draw' on the battery. The port usually draws power even if nothing is plugged into it.

If I recall, the one that I measured pulled @ 125-250mA when sitting idle.

They do make 12v USB ports that draw zero when not being used, but they're harder to find.

You could put a micro toggle-switch in line with the port wiring to control the power to it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Interesting comment. My "Google university" research mentions phantom draw when converting ac to DC.  Is there still likely a draw with 12v power to begin with?  If so, I think I'll just geld those usb's... I'm unlikely to use them. And thanks for your observations! 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,303
    edited December 2021
    I believe that a USB port installed by the reading light would convert 12V to 5V. Would there be any draw if there was no load?
    edit:
    Went out and did a test. With nothing plugged into the USB there was no draw through the fuse feeding it. When I plugged my phone into the USB it read about a .4 amp draw. This would lead me to say that there is no phantom draw from the USB port. Note that my cheap meter only reads one digit past the decimal point and rounds off the reading. It's possible there could be a draw of less than .05 amps.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f95/12v-usb-outlet-82301.html has a pretty detailed description of the plusses (and mostly minuses...) of the usb port I so proudly installed in my 320.  I typically use the cigarette lighter plug near the driver's side reading light with an adapter to recharge devices, and am likely to continue to do so.  I am thinking, well, no hurry, but I probably will just disable the two usb ports that came with those lovely fixtures.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    After reading @YanniLazarus post, I realized that my edit above may be misleading. That measurement was taken from a 5V USB port that I installed below the reading light on the passenger side by tapping into the lights 12V feed. The factory installed 12V cigarette lighter and 5V USB port on the drivers side are fed by a different fuse/circuit. There's a small LED pilot light on that USB port, but the draw is too small to register on my meter. I got the same results there, zero amps drawn with nothing plugged in.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 315
    AnOldUR said:
    After reading @YanniLazarus post, I realized that my edit above may be misleading. That measurement was taken from a 5V USB port that I installed below the reading light on the passenger side by tapping into the lights 12V feed. The factory installed 12V cigarette lighter and 5V USB port on the drivers side are fed by a different fuse/circuit. There's a small LED pilot light on that USB port, but the draw is too small to register on my meter. I got the same results there, zero amps drawn with nothing plugged in.
    What type of meter would I use and how would I go about testing the parasitic draw of a USB port?
    edited December 2021
    @elbolillo this is what I used, but I'm sure there are other cheaper options. You should be able to use a low cost multi-meter.

edit to add:
    I'd like this better if it had another decimal point of accuracy. The .1 amp resolution won't read very small loads.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    elbolillo said:
    AnOldUR said:
    What type of meter would I use and how would I go about testing the parasitic draw of a USB port?
    Those of us with the "blue light special" would love to hear your test results! 
  • Options
    Mine may have been an earlier technology, or maybe just something poorly engineered, when I tested it 5 years ago.
    AnOldUR said:
    I believe that a USB port installed by the reading light would convert 12V to 5V. Would there be any draw if there was no load?
    edit:
    Went out and did a test. With nothing plugged into the USB there was no draw through the fuse feeding it. When I plugged my phone into the USB it read about a .4 amp draw. This would lead me to say that there is no phantom draw from the USB port. Note that my cheap meter only reads one digit past the decimal point and rounds off the reading. It's possible there could be a draw of less than .05 amps.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @elbolillo, if you have the Victron Battery Monitor you would be able to look at the current draw with and without the USB outlet connected (pull the fuse for those lights, or disconnect the wire?)...
    Love that Victron Battery Monitor for diagnostics!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya