Options

What to do about USPS when road tripping more than 4 weeks at a time?

CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
edited January 2022 in Camping & Travel
When you travel more than four weeks at a time, what do you do about USPS hold mail? We've had issues since they only hold mail for four weeks at a time. Looking for a creative solution that doesn't require intervention/inconvenience by someone else. Thanks in advance!
Looking to be gone for 22 in '22. :)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
 - Sold Jan 2022

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    My neighbor picks ours up and that has worked great!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    We spoke directly with the post master and he agreed to hold our mail for a 2 month period.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    edited January 2022
    My (retired) Postal worker wife says that the maximum hold is one month, but that they do make exceptions in some offices. We'll be doing an extended road trip in 2022. Like @Dutch061, we'll have a neighbor hold onto ours.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 589
    I set up all my utility and credit card bills to be paperless/online. Anything after that is mostly junk; I would probably ask a neighbor to grab it for me.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    One of my brothers is a retired Postal Worker.
    He said contact your zip code Post Master and ask for an extension of the standard hold time as @Sharon_is_SAM noted above.

I've done so twice now while living in two different zip codes and both times the Post Master approved the extension.

I just emailed the Post Master (USPS website has contact info) and explained I would be traveling beyond the standard hold period.  I had also already set the on-line hold to it's maximum so I had a USPS confirmation number to reference in the email request.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Thanks all for the responses. We've always assumed the online limit of 4 weeks was all USPS would accommodate. Good to know they'll consider longer.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    Neighbor kids will do it cheap and can even turn lights on and off to make it look lived in.
  • Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 88
    You can get around it by canceling the first hold over a weekend before it expires, like on Saturday after they have left the local post office to deliver or a holiday. Then create a new hold, effective Monday.