Options

$535 for a cover for the T@b? Seriously?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
edited July 2015 in Products and Accessories
I have room to store my new T@b by my house and no local ordinances to prevent me from doing it. But I want to cover the T@b for the winter month rather than leave it exposed. I like the idea of a T@B specific cover, but this seems awfully expensive. I saw a cover on Amazon for $135 that will fit travel trailers up to 16.5 feet long. It wouldn't be "fitted" to the T@b but would be a lot less expensive. What have others on the forum done for T@b winter storage?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I bought the one on Amazon from a woot deal for about $50. It works. It is not nearly the quality as the other, but the other is just so stinkin' expensive. The doors line up, so I am able to access the T@b with the cover on.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I bought the T@B cover, based on how good the Paha Que cover was for my 4-wide a few years ago.  While it does seem expensive, it will last and it will protect your T@B.  Only you know your finances and only you can make the decision on which to buy.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited July 2015
    "In for a penny, in for a pound"......I sprung for real deal.  Lots of $, but it is very high quality.

We all pick and choose what we are willing to spend our hard earned $ on.  There is no one answer.  

By the way, remember you can't post about the deal you got on this cover if it is something that competes with the Little Guy store.  
  • Options
    Rad said:
    "In for a penny, in for a pound"......I sprung for real deal.  Lots of $, but it is very high quality.

We all pick and choose what we are willing to spend our hard earned $ on.  There is no one answer.  

By the way, remember you can't post about the deal you got on this cover if it is something that competes with the Little Guy store.  
    It was a one day deal - not a current one.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Rad said:

It was a one day deal - not a current one.
    Ya, I thought yours was.  I really don't know why I started playing moderator....I'm sure not one. =)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Rad - But ya done good. Have you ever played a doctor on TV?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Rad - But ya done good. Have you ever played a doctor on TV?
    No, but I live with a doctor
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    I will likely spring for the "official" cover despite the cost, but I won't necessarily be a happy camper. But I guess if you want quality you have to be prepared to pay accordingly.
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    If you contact either LG or Pahque, some times they will cut you 10-15% deal and free shipping.  Not huge savings but it helps.  I got ours that way.  

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2015
    vito said:
    I have room to store my new T@b by my house and no local ordinances to prevent me from doing it. But I want to cover the T@b for the winter month rather than leave it exposed. I like the idea of a T@B specific cover, but this seems awfully expensive. I saw a cover on Amazon for $135 that will fit travel trailers up to 16.5 feet long. It wouldn't be "fitted" to the T@b but would be a lot less expensive. What have others on the forum done for T@b winter storage?
    You basically get what you pay for.....  I had a custom cover made for my 20' pontoon last year and it cost me $750 and others wanted $1,000.  the way I look at it is that these covers are an investment to protect the larger investment.  Considering that these trailers cost upwards of $15K+ (a guesstimate) a cover is a small fraction of the cost of protecting the trailer.  My brother owned a canvas & awning shop here in Michigan and covers like these are custom covers, hand sewn and labor intensive.  

You can certainly buy your $135 cover on Amazon but it won't last long after the effects of ozone and UV eat it up.  And unless you are able to store a trailer inside an enclosed area such as a garage the trailer itself will be eaten up by sunlight and your investment will take an additional hit.  It may seem like a lot of money, but take your trailer over to a local canvas shop and I'd be willing to bet you are going to pay more after they measure it up, price out the material and add in the labor.  And see what they want for sewing in the additional door zipper that allows for access into the trailer.  You will soon get my drift when they are done writing and adding up their costs.   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    And unless you are able to store a trailer inside an enclosed area such as a garage the trailer itself will be eaten up by sunlight and your investment will take an additional hit.  
    Unless you live in the perpetual rainstorm that is Pittsburgh this year. :)

• Options
    Soooo true!  
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Also, related to a cover for your T@B.  Do not use any plastic reinforced tarp, the risk of mold and mildew is high.  You want as much ventilation in the stored unit as possible, also make sure to keep the refrigerator door slightly open and crack your roof vent open.
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Also, related to a cover for your T@B.  Do not use any plastic reinforced tarp, the risk of mold and mildew is high.  You want as much ventilation in the stored unit as possible, also make sure to keep the refrigerator door slightly open and crack your roof vent open.
    Good point as the material used for the T@B and LG covers does breath and is to eliminate the above that you've noted.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Also, the tarp can scratch the finish on your T@B. Look at some of the older fishing boats with a tarp over them.  The tarp can stick to the boats, as though it were duct tape.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Patti said: But from that point forward, we each make different decisions.

We are defined by our decisions! Some good, some bad.

M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    LARK said:
    Patti said: But from that point forward, we each make different decisions.

We are defined by our decisions! Some good, some bad.

I think you may be confused.  It works like this, there is everybody else's decision, then there is mine, the correct one.

Glad I was able to help =)
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
      And you must live with them. =)
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    CharChar Member Posts: 19
    I also purchased the T@B cover, but I will mostly be traveling solo.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to put the cover on alone?  Is it difficult?
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    Char said:
    I also purchased the T@B cover, but I will mostly be traveling solo.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to put the cover on alone?  Is it difficult?
    HI Char, I can speak first hand to this, as I just tried to put my new T@b cover on alone this morning. The material is incredible. Nice and thick, but also soft to protect. However, it makes it tough to stretch it over the top and then keep it  up on top of the camper while I go to the other side to pull it over.

Here is the best way I was able to do it, but it required a higher step stool. About 4 steps high. And I won't lie, I will probably get my 6'4" son to help to make it easier.
    Unfold the cover into a lengthwise version of the cover with the logo of the cover at the back.  Put the stool at the door side and then bring up the lengthwise cover and push it over to "catch" it on either the vent cover, or the pipe up there.  

Then you can quickly go over to the other side with your stool, climb up and stretch to get the cover and bring it over.  It is really tough and requires a tall enough stool. If you are camping alone, maybe you can find a good looking helper?  :)

I tried at first to do it front to back, or back to front, but the smoothness of the T@b means the cover just slid.

What makes it a great cover, makes it a little  unwieldy to manage solo. Once it was on it fit like a glove, and the straps underneath fit snugly.

I have a much lighter version of a cover for my canned ham vintage. That is easier to put on since it is lighter and can hold on my awning hooks until I move over to the other side.  However, it is not durable and those same awning hooks wore indentations and the start of holes where I know my T@b cover will be incredible. 

Apologies for the treatise. Hopefully someone has a better idea with less words.
    Jody
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I had a canvas shop make some alterations to my T@B cover.  In the photo you can see a vent near the top.  There is a matching one on the other side.  This allows ventilation as well as preventing the wind lifting the cover.  On the lower part of the cover they created an opening port that allows me to use the Atwood heater in the winter when working inside the trailer without removing the cover.  It is hard to see, but I also had them sew on two webbing straps with clips that allow cinching down the cover easily.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    JodellR said:
    Char said:
    HI Char, I can speak first hand to this, as I just tried to put my new T@b cover on alone this morning. The material is incredible. Nice and thick, but also soft to protect. However, it makes it tough to stretch it over the top and then keep it  up on top of the camper while I go to the other side to pull it over.

Here is the best way I was able to do it, but it required a higher step stool. About 4 steps high. And I won't lie, I will probably get my 6'4" son to help to make it easier.
    Unfold the cover into a lengthwise version of the cover with the logo of the cover at the back.  Put the stool at the door side and then bring up the lengthwise cover and push it over to "catch" it on either the vent cover, or the pipe up there.  

Then you can quickly go over to the other side with your stool, climb up and stretch to get the cover and bring it over.  It is really tough and requires a tall enough stool. If you are camping alone, maybe you can find a good looking helper?  :)

I tried at first to do it front to back, or back to front, but the smoothness of the T@b means the cover just slid.

What makes it a great cover, makes it a little  unwieldy to manage solo. Once it was on it fit like a glove, and the straps underneath fit snugly.

I have a much lighter version of a cover for my canned ham vintage. That is easier to put on since it is lighter and can hold on my awning hooks until I move over to the other side.  However, it is not durable and those same awning hooks wore indentations and the start of holes where I know my T@b cover will be incredible. 

Apologies for the treatise. Hopefully someone has a better idea with less words.
    Jody
    One minor note, one important note.

minor:
    I keep track of the logo on the rear as it goes over to keep everything in line.  On mine the logo is not centered, it is about 1/3 of the way over to the left.

Important:
    That plastic vent on the top that your cover can catch on, well, it can snap off very easy during the cover installation  process.  Don't ask how such a well educated, mechanically talented, good looking and all around great guy like myself could ever do such a thing. =).  The good news, it was a pretty easy fix.......see mechanically talented comment above B)
  • Options
    I have assumed that I would only use the cover when storing it for the winter months (I can keep it on my property and have no need for paying for storage on a commercial lot) but from some of the comments here I gather that some folks use the cover other times as well. When would you use the cover for other than long term storage? 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    When your driveway is directly under the wet-pooper expressway and you don't want to be constantly washing your T@bbie

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    Due to neighborhood restrictions, I have to store mine in an uncovered storage lot for the next several months for quick access. I will then store it for the winter in my dad's shop in Wisconsin. 
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    My dealer allowed me to purchase LG assessories using his dealer discount, making the items much more affordable.  The mark up on these items is quite large. 
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    jkjenn said:
    I bought the one on Amazon from a woot deal for about $50. It works. It is not nearly the quality as the other, but the other is just so stinkin' expensive. The doors line up, so I am able to access the T@b with the cover on.
    Hi jkjenn - would you please send the link or model as I want to buy the same one.  I've read many of your posts and will buy whatever you suggested (as I am new to camping and getting my Sofitel Saturday ... very excited (and nervous) for what's ahead ... TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    CharChar Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    Bought mine on Amazon.  Free delivery and cost about $100.00.  Works great.  Covers entire T@B from front to back and top to ground. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia