Leveling question...

2»

Comments

• FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @marchule,  Hopefully one of these links will work. I have not tried to copy and post links before. This particular video has been posted on the forum but I could not locate it. Mark has done numerous upgrade videos to his TAB and I think documents his work very well. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2022
    You are correct @marchule, I should have included that piece of info 8^ D     

Basically, I took the distance between the wheels on my trailer, 64" and drew a triangle with a base of 64" and a height of 1" (1" being the thickness of my blocks).  Then I cheated and used the geometry app on my phone (because I no longer remember the actual math formulas) and input those values for the "base and height" .  The app then filled in the remaining values relative to that triangle, one of which is the value of angle "a" which equals .9 degrees.  So each 1" block I add will give an additional .9 degrees of lift at the low wheel.  So for example if my Clinometer reading says I'm 3 degrees off I know that adding 3 blocks (3 x .9 = 2.7 degrees of rise) I get pretty darn close to the 3 degrees of slope indicated by the Clinometer...close enough for government work!

I'll also give credit to a YT video I ran across after working my triangle magic from "The Hands Guy" (my name for him, I think his given name is Mark" on this topic...  which I now see @Freespirit posted above me, thanks Freespirit!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @fstop32 -- watched your video.  Which Android clinometer app do you use/recommend?  I've often wondered what the angle of my driveway is.  Thanks.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    Thanks Freespirit and fstop32!  My Tab 400 has 77 inch wheelbase.  The angle for a 1 inch block is roughly .75 degrees.  I placed my phone on the frame and checked with a bullet level.  The Clinometer reading and level closely agreed.  Also, 2 cranks does shift back to front by .1 degrees for the 400.
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    @PNWtabber, makes you want to drag out the ole high school geometry book again right?  I just grabbed a free one called Clinometer, it's like the 2nd one that popped up in Apples app store.  I've not tried any other ones.  You could also go analog and pick up one of these at Lowes/HD etc...
    It's not as fancy as the app but it's cheap and good enough to get you where you want to be...level 8^D

FWIW, I wanted to make it clear that the video was not "my video", it's one of many under the title "Tab Trailer Upgrades and Maintenance" on YouTube.

DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Level Mate Pro, your phone and Andersen type curved leveler and use a drill to raise/lower jack and stabilizers. It really doesn't get any easier than that.
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Jake_Elwood_and_usJake_Elwood_and_us Member Posts: 40
    When I turned 19 I slept on the continental divide in the Wind River range in Wyoming. It was probable uncomfortable but I didn't care. Now many years later I want a level trailer so I can sleep. This isn't a post about what brand of level to use, that's easy. I bought a 400 Boondock so I could have creature comforts while still pretending to be roughing it. My first indication that I might have too high of expectations from the T@B was leaving a gas station and bottoming out the hitch in the gutter. The next was trying to level the trailer at a boondock camping spot. There was no way. The way I figure it, one only has about a level to a little less than 5 degree give before it is too steep to adjust front to back. Anymore with the slope going downhill behind the TV and the tongue can't go low enough. I didn't buy a boondock to stay at a KOA, even if they would have me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

2021 T@B400 BD
    2000 Tundra 4x4 poverty pulling luxury
    Calif. coastal-sand & redwoods
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @WilliamA posted about his pintle hitch mod.  Wonder if this would help?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    Aim your TV + trailer combo downhill and carry several 2x6 pieces or other means to hike up the trailer tongue.

How far back from your TV does your hitch extend? Too great a distance combined with not enough TV height clearance could be the problem at the gas station.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX

@WilliamA posted about his pintle hitch mod.  Wonder if this would help?
    I like this, maybe a project for next winter, time to go camping. B)
    Binghi said:
    Aim your TV + trailer combo downhill and carry several 2x6 pieces or other means to hike up the trailer tongue.

How far back from your TV does your hitch extend? Too great a distance combined with not enough TV height clearance could be the problem at the gas station.
    My ball is about 4" to 6" from the back of my bumper of which the receiver is flush with. My next TV will have higher clearance but this one is not bad.

2021 T@B400 BD
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited June 2022
    When I turned 19 I slept on the continental divide in the Wind River range in Wyoming. It was probable uncomfortable but I didn't care. Now many years later I want a level trailer so I can sleep. This isn't a post about what brand of level to use, that's easy. I bought a 400 Boondock so I could have creature comforts while still pretending to be roughing it. My first indication that I might have too high of expectations from the T@B was leaving a gas station and bottoming out the hitch in the gutter. The next was trying to level the trailer at a boondock camping spot. There was no way. The way I figure it, one only has about a level to a little less than 5 degree give before it is too steep to adjust front to back. Anymore with the slope going downhill behind the TV and the tongue can't go low enough. I didn't buy a boondock to stay at a KOA, even if they would have me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
    I don't know why you bottomed out leaving a gas station, but in my experience that kind of bump can happen if there's no curb cut. Or maybe your hitch height is too low?

If it's a steep downslope towards the back of the trailer, how about running the tires up on blocks to reduce the height difference between the back and front of the trailer? I would back down the hill, then arrange a bunch of lego-style leveling blocks in front of the tires and pull forward onto them. If one side is lower (side-to-side) you should also take that into account when building your block stacks.

This isn't the greatest picture, but you can see that I have leveling blocks under the tires on both sides (because of the downslope).

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Marceline, Great picture, this is what I ended up doing, just wasn't sure it was the best way to handle to slope. Also I was concerned about the trailer rolling back without chocks in place.
    It looks like the right side is higher from the photo even though you have more blocks under that tire.
    2021 T@B400 BD
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Marceline, Great picture, this is what I ended up doing, just wasn't sure it was the best way to handle to slope. Also I was concerned about the trailer rolling back without chocks in place.
    It looks like the right side is higher from the photo even though you have more blocks under that tire.
    It's been a long time since I took that photo, but I think that I probably had one of these chocks behind the right tire. It's yellow so in the photo it looks like a taller stack of blocks. I would definitely chock at least one of tires, even if they're on blocks.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Especially if they are in blocks.  The Anderson leveler solves a lot of these slope issues, here is our TaB set on a slope greater than 5-degrees, the Anderson Leveler is red, and I used a yellow chock in the back in photo below.  I have also used both Anderson units, one in rear and one in front of large slopes.  These work great.

Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ImNotThereYetImNotThereYet Member Posts: 34
    GatorEgg said:
    I have two stick on bubble levels.  They’ve been there three years and thousands of miles.  One is centered above passenger side wheel well flair. The other is centered over the propane box.  
    They cover all bases, fore and aft, side to side level.  Bought the in the camping isle at Walmart for about $8.
    That is what I'm going to do, however to keep me and my wife together, I bought a circle level for her to put on the countertop inside. Last time out, we got all crazy about getting it level. Let's hope this helps! LOL! I'm going to see if her level inside gets the levels on the outside. If it's anything like last time, I'll just go with her level inside. It's funny, when you're younger, you hear older couples "yelling" at each other and you say to yourself, "We'll never be like that!", but then you realize, you're yelling because you can't hear! My favorite is from Christmas vacation, "The BLESSING!" If you've haven't seen that film, that scene is my all time favorite! That's us now!
    2023 TAB 320 Boondock towing with a 2006 Highlander-www.donjohnsmusic.com
  • sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 56
    I'll be bringing a BAL leveler with me to the Washington East/West Meetup in a week or so with the intention of selling it. It's too heavy and bulky for my use.
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I think @rcarlson1957 summed up above quite well how I feel on the subject of leveling.  Seeing your L-R level on your phone app while in the driver's seat as you're backing up onto an Andersen wedge is the fastest & easiest way to go.

Four years ago, I did not want to pay for the Levelmate device, so got a much cheaper inclinometer with Bluetooth for connecting to a now free Android leveling app called "Remote Level"..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/109938/#Comment_109938

I'm happy to say, we can still use it on a newer Android phone, though it's still Android only, and while not available on the PlayStore, it is available for download elsewhere..
    https://apkaio.com/app/org.huebert.remotelevel
    The device is still available on Amazon..
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRPKDV9

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    Geez, I guess I’m really old school. I carry some 5/4 x 6 and 2x4 boards, eyeball things, then fine tune it by putting the chapstick in my pocket on a cutting board that’s over the stove to see which way it rolls. While I’m in there I usually grab a cold beer from the fridge. No Bluetooth, no batteries. Sometimes I need to add/remove a board, but that’s okay. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    Hear hear for old school: I put a 9” bubble level on the floor. I do use an Andersen leveler.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 193
    edited August 2023
    Finally got around to widening the BAL tire jack to fit a R15" tire.  Zipped in half with grinder and welded in 3 pcs of 3/4 dia x8" sch.30 tubing and a 1/8" cover plate at bottom.   Rush job, not pretty but works well.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• bevedfelkerbevedfelker Member Posts: 3
    I have a bubble level app on my iPhone that works great.

Thor Vegas 24.1 Motorhome
    Currently considering T@B 400
    Tampa FL

States Visited Map