Options

Leveling question...

Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
edited June 2022 in Trailer & Towing
We're starting to collect needful things so when our nuCamp is ready for pickup we could haul it to a campground the next weekend if we wanted.  One of the suggestions someone made was to have a good level.

I'm presuming, realistically, any level will work, whether a decent carpenters level or the like, or would we find it easier to attach a couple bubble levels to the sides of the camper?

And, does anyone have suggestions on possibly a good leveling kit (chocks, blocks, maybe pads for the legs)?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    For the sake of accuracy I would use a handheld bubble level. Place it on the floor lengthwise and crosswise.

To level the trailer we use an Andersen curved leveler and chock. Works great. Just put the leveler behind the low-side wheel, back the trailer up until it is level, and chock it.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    @Binghi I'd wondered about those curved drive-on levelers, I'd been considering the ones that stack and lock like legos, but I might reconsider now.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We have the cheap stick on bubble levels x 5 seasons now.  We have a set on both the driver and passenger sides - 1 on the side and one on the front of the TaB.  Anderson levelers are great for those who usually camp at fairly flat campsites.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    I absolutly love the BAL leveler. I've used it for 7 years on a 320 and a 400 and can't imagine using anything else. You park then slip this around tire. Then I use my drill with the same bit you use to raise and lower the stabilizers legs......by the way....do not use the stabilizers to level the camper. They should only just kiss the ground. 

The BAL is great because you don't need someone to help you drive up on the block type Levelers. It's a little harder to get around the Boondock style tire but it fits fit. 

Check this out on Amazon
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I leveled my camper the first time using a large carpenters level front to back and side to side, then put the stick-on levelers over each wheel well and above each front handle.

I also use a BAL Leveler for side to side leveling. It's AWESOME!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    I just use a small handheld bubble level.  It has a magnet on one end so it sticks nicely to the frame if you want to place it there.  Easy to check level in various areas of the trailer. I think the one I have is from Lowes and their Kobalt brand. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    We have used all of the above with success but our favorite is Clinometer App on our iPhone.  Open the app set the phone on the floor and you get front to back and side to side level in one easy view. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    @Binghi I'd wondered about those curved drive-on levelers, I'd been considering the ones that stack and lock like legos, but I might reconsider now.
    I started off with those Lego blocks. The curved drive-on leveler (at least the Andersen leveler - the other brands may be too short and lightweight) is a vast improvement over those blocks.

I use the Legos now as a base for the rear stabilizers. Stack five under each stab jack and you don’t have so far to go when you crank down. The stab jacks also seem to stabilize better that way. Not as much trailer shake when you move around in bed at night.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I have two stick on bubble levels.  They’ve been there three years and thousands of miles.  One is centered above passenger side wheel well flair. The other is centered over the propane box.  
    They cover all bases, fore and aft, side to side level.  Bought the in the camping isle at Walmart for about $8.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    @Jay_and_Kat ; I use and really like the
    Hopkins 09715 Hitch Level.
    It has the left-right, front-rear bubble levels and a neat dial that tells you which wheel is low and about how many inches are needed to reach left-right level.

I did have to trim/drill the plastic a bit to correctly fit my 320S when placed in-front of the wheel jack post.

And remember trailer does not have to be dead-on level to be comfortable and for all systems to work correctly.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    A carpenters level is very accurate, but takes up a lot of space and the accuracy isn't required. If there are two of you, the stick on levels work great. We use a small round one and set it on the plate behind the tongue jack. It lives in a drawer in the trailer when not in use. If you are using the trailer as a single person, there is a big level you can put on the front of the trailer and see in the mirror while backing. You can use a smaller stick on level near the tongue jack for the other axis.

There are many ways to physically level the trailer. They all work. I've used wooden blocks, ramps and wedges. I find the "Legos", blocks and ramps take too much space in this small of a trailer. I use the curved wedges and like them very much. We carry a 14in long 2x6 to give me an extra 1.75 inches of lift when the wedges are too short. For staying in campgrounds and state parks, this has always worked. These are very small trailers, you don't need much lift to get level.

With the BAL leveler, it doesn't matter if you have a helper or not. It's a single person device. For us, it takes more room than the advantages are worth. Traveling alone or to less prepared campgrounds could be a different story.

Pick one method and give it a try. If that method doesn't feel right, think about what would be better and try something different. The only 'wrong' way is one that doesn't result in leveling. There are many good ways. One of the them will fit you better than the others.

Enjoy your new trailer. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited February 2022
    Levelmate Pro and an Anderson wedge, so simple a 5 year old can do it. Nice part is that you can move around within the campsite while watching how level it is side to side. Granted, you will spend a couple hundred bucks but to me it was well worth it!

I can literally be leveled, unhooked and done before most people with big campers can get the WDH released. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    I started with a BAL leveler but stopped using it after a couple of years. But it's a good tool to have if you are going to want to level your trailer after unhitching (say you have pushed your trailer around to get it sideways in a campsite). Now I use a wedge-style leveler. I have a clamshell, so I open the back and put a torpedo level on the galley counter. It involves a little bit of walking back and forth between the TV and the back of the trailer to get it perfect, but after you've been doing it for a while you get a pretty good eye for it.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    That Levelmate Pro is slick!  I may have to get one if I can convince the wife.  That may be difficult but  I am certainly going to try that Anderson leveler.  It may not work at all our boondocking sites but looks great for campgrounds and probably many boondock sites.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    We have the Anderson leveler and it works great.  Doubles as a great chalk also.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    Let’s not overlook the old school method. My 5/4 x 6 boards cost me nothing (left over from a deck project), work every time, I won’t be too worried if I drive off and leave them, and I can split and burn them for a campfire if I want!  But I do pair that with the bubble level / clinometer app on my iPhone. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    I have a 1.5 inch level that stays right to the left opening on the floor all the time, don't need much more than that imho :)
    2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 
  • Options
    @WayneW I've got a bunch of 2x12 from a dog ramp we had to our back door I could carve up to use, but in one of my other posts (I think here) someone pointed out lumber can split on the grain and then you're not level anymore...
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    The thing to keep in mind with using lumber etc., more so than the "cost savings" (because it may be scrap or free) is the weight. There are a lot of people who are towing with vehicles that simply don't have the extra payload capacity to keep adding things. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    @Dutch061, Good point on the space issue. We have an F150 so space isn’t too much of an issue for us. Somehow we still manage to mostly fill it up though. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    akarjalaakarjala Member Posts: 8
    I was looking at the simple bubble levels, and the fancier LevelMate Pro in conjunction with Anderson Levelers.  I need to be able to get things level by myself without getting in and out of the cab several times.  I landed on a bluetooth level that I stick side to side and then read level while in the pickup.  Then I can use the crank to level the trailer from front to back.  Here is more info if you're interested: Amazon.com: SOLA GO! Smart Digital Pocket Level with Bluetooth, Magnetic 3-Inch : Everything Else.  I keep it in the glovebox and get it out when I go out to survey the surroundings.  Also, I bought a 'used' one from Amazon Warehouse and saved about $40.
    2018 T@B 400, aka T@batha
    Towed by a white 2017 4x4 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X, 5.0L Diesel, aka Prometheus
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Don't get too hung up on leveling the trailer.  If it looks level it is probably close enough.  There are two caveats though.  if you have a three-way refrigerator (propane, 120vac, and 12vdc) then leveling may be more critical.  I don't have a propane fired fridge so I don't really worry about it but gas absorption fridges (propane fired) need to be close to level to A) work and B) not incur damage.  The 120vac/12vdc fridges are compressor operated and can stand some fairly significant leveling differences.  The other issue is the bed.  You may not want to sleep with your head lower than your feet.  From experience, I find that uncomfortable.
    An 8" torpedo level (fairly inexpensive at Lowe's) will easily tell you how close to level you are.  Anything from 1/4 to 1/2 bubble off of top dead center is probably close enough to not be noticed by a sleeper or a fridge.
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 208
    FYI the BAL tire leveler will not fit the original ST235/75/R15 tires on our 2021 boondock.  The opening between the two angled plates on the leveler is too narrow to slide in from face of tire.  Unless you were to drive up on very short pads first.  Another Amazon return...

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2022
    We have the Anderson Leveler wedges, but also carry a homemade step-up wooden system. The latter is made from left-over deck boards.  They're screwed together with deck screws.  We usually use the Anderson levelers, but in sandy, soft dirt, or gravelly situations the wooden step-up boards work better. We also modified the wedges with some medical tape that provides just enough grip to prevent the wedges from slipping apart in some situations.
    If we started with the step-up system we wouldn't have purchased the Anderson system. Like others have said the Anderson system is space and weight efficient.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2022
    Maxcamp8 said:
    The opening between the two angled plates on the leveler is too narrow to slide in from face of tire.  Unless you were to drive up on very short pads first.
    With the controversy over the old method of tire changing, this idea will probably not be liked by some, but here's what I do when terrain keeps me from sliding my BAL under the wheel. After disconnecting and positioning our T@B, I drop the tongue and fully extend the rear stabilizer on the side that I want to put the BAL. By raising the tongue, I can then lift the wheel just enough to get the BAL under it.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    I've gone the way of @Freespirit, I use the Clineometer app.  I put the camper basically where I want it and take a Clineometer reading.  I've run the math to know what one level of lego blocks equals in degrees of lift so I immediately know how many levels of blocks I need to put down.  Then it's just roll up on them and I'm done side to side.  I use a short magnetic torpedo level at the tongue to set my level front to back and I'm ready for a hammock nap.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Our Anderson system came with a bit of rubber sheet, to fit between the levelers to prevent them sliding apart.  I also carry a bit of 2x6 long enough to put under the Anderson setup on soft sand or loose dirt to spread the ground load.  Works great.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @fstop32 👍 we are in the same camp, I have put degree of of change along the incline of our rv leveling ramps so when I hit the sweet spot the wife puts up the stop sign ✋ we are done. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Unfortunately, I did not find this discussion until after I had posted related questions regarding using Anderson leveling blocks on my driveway.  Hoping to get some helpful tips on my situation:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15549/leveling-at-home-and-storing#latest
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    Awesome.  Want to share your what one level of lego blocks is in degrees for those of us who are arithmetically challenged?
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah