Options

Emergency Brake Pin Pulled Out!!

FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
edited June 2022 in Trailer & Towing
Hi, 

Someone pulled our emergency brake pin out while at a gas station in WY. 

I think the vehicle was unattended for about 3-5 minutes.

I fell asleep while my wife started driving. WY is usually pretty rough going but it woke me up, as the hauling was particularly bad. Luckily, she had to use the restroom after about 50 minutes of driving.

I walked the dog around the back of the trailer and a wave of heat along with the smell of asbestos hit me. I looked at the T@b wheel rims and they were almost black and steaming hot. I immediately knew the issue and popped the pin back in.

We got through the rest of our trip with no issue other than a little grinding noise in the wheels.

I've driven thousands of miles and never had the pin pop out like that. There was no issue that would have caused it other than another human physically removing the pin.

I'll most likely need to have the entire brake system replaced.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR BRAKE PIN AT EVERY PIT STOP!! 

The world is still full of good people but it has gotten less friendly and more confused. Keep your head on a swivel as they say.

2019 Tacoma Off Road
2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
-Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Just curious where you attach your break away brake cable?  Also, was your battery drained after this event?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Break away chains are attached to the normal place on the hitch. The cable is threaded though the chain and there is no way it pulls the pin out without the hitch coming off(god forbid). The battery was significantly drained but we stopped using electricity and I have a solar panel so it was ok after two days.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited June 2022
    Finchy said:
    Break away chains are attached to the normal place on the hitch. The cable is threaded though the chain and there is no way it pulls the pin out without the hitch coming off(god forbid). The battery was significantly drained but we stopped using electricity and I have a solar panel so it was ok after two days.
    You should absolutely not have your breakaway switch cable threaded through the chains. The chain might have pulled on the cable as it was moving around as you were going down the road. The chains and the breakaway cable are meant to be independent safety systems and you should keep them separate. Some people even attach the breakaway cable on a different place on the TV than the chains.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    It's not the best way to go and I will change it up but at the worst it prevents the cable from pulling not the other way around. The point is that someone yanked it. I would advise checking on it every time you stop.

2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

• Options
    My friend pulled hers out when she turned really sharp essentially in a jack knife position. It pulled it out and broke it. 
  • Options
    Wow! that is quite a turn.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

• Options
    She is reverse challenged  :D
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I use a carabeaner clip on my hitch plate hole that is secured to the truck frame and attach my break-away cable to it.  If the trailer comes off the pin will be pulled.  This works great and is easy to unhook after towing.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    @Michigan_Mike that's how we do it.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 297
    I I replaced the breakaway cable with the Zip Breakaway Cable from Fastway https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/zip-breakaway-cable

ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    I use a carabeaner clip on my hitch plate hole that is secured to the truck frame and attach my break-away cable to it.  If the trailer comes off the pin will be pulled.  This works great and is easy to unhook after towing.  
    Yes to this. 
    I use the same setup, easy and reliable.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2022
    I have managed to pull mine out 2 x while I was stopped overnight. It appears that while crossing over the tongue or while getting in the bed of the truck, my size 11 stepped on the cable. I was fortunate and never drove while it was pulled. I picked it up both times watching the current draw on my BMV-712. The brakes pull about 6 Amps (on our 2020 400 BDL) and while dry camping, I always look at draw to make sure nothing weird is going on. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2022
    That is a very good idea Brad, keeping an eye on the battery monitor, and a good way to catch something like the emergency brake issue.  I watch the monitor for battery drain also, but didn’t think of using it for diagnostic checks, like the emergency brake being accidentally set.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    I tested mine a couple of years ago for another thread on the emergency brake. Six amps is a lot!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I just saw an article that showed someone placing an i-bolt through the edge of the TV license plate and attaching their break away cable to the bolt.
  • Options
    That doesn’t sound very secure or even a good idea?
    Cheers 
  • Options
    I can't find the photo, but there are lots of references to it on the web.  We are supposed to attach it to something else besides the hitch or bumper.  They use the hole where you would normally attach a screw.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Unless the i-bolt replaces one of the license plate screws--but I wouldn't trust it especially in light of the use of plastic nuts and such.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    That would work with a license plate that attaches to a steel bumper or bumper bracket.  That said, most newer vehicles have the license plate attached to a plastic plate or something similar, that would not be a secure mounting point.  

Many pick up trucks with plastic over steel bumpers have a bumper mounting hole in the center, that would work, this is what I use, and is separate from the receiver unit.  That said, the factory receiver unit is rated for more weight than the truck is.  On a unibody SUV type vehicle, this is going to be a hard call.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the insightful comments. I have completely reworked the system.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain