Options

Aluminum vs AluFiber Exterior Skin Material on 2004-2007 T@Bs ?

MikeTMikeT Member Posts: 15
Looking at 2004 - 2007 DM T@B brochures:

2004 brochure lists 1 skin material: Clear coat one-piece aluminum
2005 brochure lists 3 skin materials:
  Durable white fiberglass
  Classic one-piece, anodized, clear-coated aluminum
  White AluFiber, combines aluminum with fiberglass to create a hi-gloss, impact-resistant finish
2006 brochure lists 1 skin material: AluFiber (colors white or silver)
2007 brochure lists 1 skin material: AluFiber (colors white, silver, aqua, red, yellow)

Does this information match the 2004-2007 DM T@Bs that forum members own ? I wanted to confirm that 2004 T@Bs are always aluminum skin for roof and walls. Is there an advantage or disadvantage of aluminum vs AluFiber ?
Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @MikeT,  Yes, this is correct - I think Dutchman was experimenting with exterior materials.
    Unknown if all '04's are aluminum.  
    One drawback of the aluminum is denting - we have hail, gravel, and walnut dents on ours.
    All alufiber skinned are painted which makes them a lot shinier.
    Fiberglass skinned are like boats - need a refresher of the gel coat every few years.

Someone above my pay grade may need to fully answer you.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2022
    Fiberglass skinned are like boats - need a refresher of the gel coat every few years.   Sorry, but properly laid and gelcoated fiberglass only needs to be cleaned and polished to maintain its original finish, not a new gelcoat applied.
    The only time gelcoat needs replacing is when it is damage or cracked, requiring some repairs.  Any good fiberglass marine polish can take a dull gelcoat ( from oxidation) and being it back to its original luster.
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.