Options

Lowest Allowable Camping Temperature without Winterizing

We are planning a trip this weekend to attend a wedding in South Dakota.  The lowest temperature forecast overnight for one night is 28 Degrees and will last a couple of hours.  The temperature will be below 32 Degrees for about 6 hours total that same night.  Obviously I know water freezes at 32 Degrees, and if I had a bottle of water sitting outside next to the camper, I would expect it to be frozen.  However, with heat on in the T@B 320 can I get away with not draining/winterizing the camper for this one night of temperatures as described?  I would like to know what others have done or not done.
Thank you!
Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois

Comments

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 309
    If it's warm enough for you to comfortably sleep in, the water will not freeze. I live in Tucson AZ and we often have temperatures in the high 20's for a few hours at night and I seldom winterize. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2024 TaB 400 with all the option packages (full lithium), 
    2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow Package.  
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2022
    Hi, I have a 2021 320S.  This is what I have done when encountering similar situations when it's going to dip (approx 28-32) below freezing for 4-6 hours overnight.  All your plumbing in a newer 320S is inside (i.e heated) except for the gray water tank, fresh water tank and p-trap for the shower.  I keep the fresh water tank filled (if using it) since it would take a signifcant amount of time at much lower temperatures to freeze that much water.  I empty the gray water tank and pour a small amount of antifreeze down the shower drain.  I pour enough until when I open the grey water tank, a small amount of pink comes out.  This will protect both the shower drain and the the grey water tank valve.  For grins, I'll also place a small amount of water in a cup outside just to know if it really got cold enough to freeze water.  Hope this helps..there isn't an exact answer as you know it depends on what temperatures and for how long.   Good luck...
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    A couple other things I've learned/done on my 320 is detach the fresh water hose and filter and keep inside (at least the filter). Detach the sewer hose as it has frozen on. Do as Yoshi says above about antifreeze in valves - my gray valve and contents froze. Keep the bathroom door open. Open the door for the water pump cubby. Temps got to 26* for a few hours.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2022
    The TaB320s with a cassette toilet, has an Alde heater unit in the back of the washroom, which will keep it heated from freezing temps.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    Good to know Denny; maybe someone with an older Tab will appreciate my suggestion.

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    @dsfdogs yes, and I would also open the washroom door a small amount on any TaB in cold weather to get better air circulation.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    Denny16 said:
    The TaB320s with a cassette toilet, have an Alde heater unit in the back of the washroom, which will keep it heated from freezing temps.

Okay @Denny16 - - -  How in the He double hockey sticks do you know that ?    ;)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @MuttonChops, I saw a post here with a photo taken of the area under the sink unit, you can see the convector back under there behind the service panel on the newer TaB320, and there is one under the floor in a TaB400.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 142
    Thank you to all that have contributed.  I appreciate the discussion!
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,303
    Not only open the bath door, but also the hatch where the water pump is located.
    I got paranoid enough once when the temperature dropped that I duct taped my 12V heating blanket under the trail. Probably did squat, but made me feel a little better. :o
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 315
    I have had my 2021 Tab 320 sitting in my driveway with temperatures dropping as low as 10 degrees Fahrenheit and have had no issues. I have made sure that everything is drained properly and keep the Alde running with a temp of 60 degrees. This was only for one evening before our leaving for warmer climes that next morning. With our 2 100Ah lithium batteries, we have not run into any problems either since their BMS does not allow charging after a certain temp. They will still provide 12v power to the Tab but we have had no worries about them getting cold.
    pakpak Member Posts: 115
    Had a low 20s night in Lovelock, Nv on the way South and no issues. Had the Alde running all night. I was more concerned about freezing when driving in the cold than when parked.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Denny16 said:
    The TaB320s with a cassette toilet, have an Alde heater unit in the back of the washroom, which will keep it heated from freezing temps.

Okay @Denny16 - - -  How in the He double hockey sticks do you know that ?    ;)

This is not accurate. The glycol is behind the toilet but there is no radiator. I leave the door open over night when it gets cold out so that heat circulates better and for comfort.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited October 2022
    so Sorry @jkjenn, but according to Da_Birds in this discussion (https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14348/alde-heat-flow-on-2021-320s) there is an Alde convector under the washroom sink behind the Cassette toilet.  Here are two of the images posted by Da_Birds from his late 2021 TaB320 CSS, I assume the TaB320 CS also has this washroom heating convector to keep the cassette toilet cassette and drains warm.  You are correct, this is not going to heat the washroom very much, more for the plumbing, given its location.  Keeping the door open a bit is also a good idea for warming the washroom up.

The top photo shows the convector back under the washroom sink.
    The bottom photo shows the Alde circulation and convector locations.

Cheers
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 315
    jkjenn said:
    Denny16 said:

This is not accurate. The glycol is behind the toilet but there is no radiator. I leave the door open over night when it gets cold out so that heat circulates better and for comfort.
    Actually, there is a radiator behind the toilet. This can be clearly seen in my Tab 320s 2021. 

edited October 2022
    Under the sink at floor level, is behind the toilet, as the sink (wash basin) is behind the toilet.  Thanks for the additional post on this.
     Cheers