Options

2023 TAB 400 adding wireless backup camera - easy power

Added a wireless backup camera today.  I powered it off the license plate light, but I found that access to that power was pretty easy.   I removed the panel at the very rear of the bed, and there is a through-body hole with the wiring for the license light easily accessible.   I removed the sealant from the hole so I could bring in the power for the camera in thru the same hole.  Once inside, there are connectors within inches of the access hole.

I removing the 5 or 6 screws from the bottom of the plastic shell outside, and that gave me enough room to mount the camera and run the power into the hole.  After running the new power cord thru the hole, I re-sealed it with silicone.

I used this camera/monitor from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PDH6Z8).  It has a very clear picture and synced up immediately.   I have not had it on the road yet but zero issues with it so far.

2023 TAB 400, towed by 2001 Ford f-150 Supercrew XLT 5.6 liter v8

Comments

• Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 148
    Do headlights at night washout the display (override the4 camera)?
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Nice looking install job, vey clean.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HedCountHedCount Member Posts: 20
    subkron, I hadnt thought about it but I'm sure at night headlights from behind will impair the image.  But that shouldnt be a problem backing into a spot.  That's when the image really counts.  The night vision of the image seems pretty good for backing at night

2023 TAB 400, towed by 2001 Ford f-150 Supercrew XLT 5.6 liter v8
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    On my 400 its just under the starlight window. It won't matter if you just use it as a backup camera but as an observation camera while driving yes it will white-out from both vehical lights and sun rise/set. The other point to note depending on camera is they are typically manufactured to look down so a low mounting point makes cars (trees etc.) appear farther away than they actually are.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    On mine I mounted it on the roof fan when I replaced the roof air with a MAX-AIR. I also attached a piece of nylon to act as an umbrella to protect the camera lens from to much sunlight. I put a switch onto the inside frame to power the camera and if I remember to turn on that switch it works great. I can also angle the hood to keep most sunlight out of the camera. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    @gulfarea, it looks like you have the same Garmin camera system that I have. Originally I attach the BC30 to the fan housing. There was easy access to electric there. Worked well, but when I installed a MaxxFan it required a new method. I ended up putting the BC30 down by the license plate and put a BC40 up on the roof with a suction cup mount.

The problem with the BC40 is its limited range. I tried using one down by the license plate, but the signal was intermittent at that distance. Swapping them around has worked well. I can have the BC30 on full time while driving to keep an eye on tailgaters. The BC40 can be switched to for a different perspective or to check that the gear loaded on the back of the T@B is secure.

Great idea for putting a hood over the BC30 for glare. I'm going to give that a try.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    @AnOldUR I read your posts a lot, keep them comming! I put the transmitter up in the MAX-AIR fan area as this gets the signal into my Jeep very well.  In this photo you can see where I mounted the on-off switch and fuse holder in the bottom of the MAX fan. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Firebird_WS6Firebird_WS6 Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2023
    AnOldUR said:
    @gulfarea, it looks like you have the same Garmin camera system that I have. Originally I attach the BC30 to the fan housing. There was easy access to electric there. Worked well, but when I installed a MaxxFan it required a new method. I ended up putting the BC30 down by the license plate and put a BC40 up on the roof with a suction cup mount.

The problem with the BC40 is its limited range. I tried using one down by the license plate, but the signal was intermittent at that distance. Swapping them around has worked well. I can have the BC30 on full time while driving to keep an eye on tailgaters. The BC40 can be switched to for a different perspective or to check that the gear loaded on the back of the T@B is secure.

Great idea for putting a hood over the BC30 for glare. I'm going to give that a try.

@AnOldUR What suction cup mount did you use for your BC40? I have one mounted on my license plate, but the signal is not strong enough as you noted. I'd like to try it in the location you have it. Is it still working ok for you in that higher location? Do you have concerns about the suction cup coming off and losing the camera?

2018 T@B 320S / 2017 Subaru Outback / Seattle, WA
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    edited July 2023
    Firebird_WS6 said:
    What suction cup mount did you use for your BC40?
    By now I probably have a reputation (good or bad) for doing things that others wouldn't consider. This may fit into that category. There's a tab on the back of the camera that I'm assuming is for manufacturing purposes. I ground that off to create a flat surface then epoxied it to a suction mount. I think it was a Garmin mount, but could have been left over from something else.

So far the mount has held well even in hard rain, but I've tied a safety string to it so I won't lose it if the suction fails.

The only drawback is that changing batteries is more challenging.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler