Options

320 non-boondock replacement tires?

I am looking for the best cost-is-no-object replacement tires for my 2020 T@B320S (14" wheels!).  I contacted NuCamp and got this answer (from Creed) to this question:

QUESTION:
Hello. We are LOVING our 2020 T@B320S (not boondock...) and want to replace our tires with same size Goodyear Endurance tires. They list 65 psi for inflation, while the original tires take 50psi. Your recommendation for tire pressure? Also, do you recommend balancing tires?

ANSWER:
All we recommend is that your replacement tires be the same specifications as the factory ones. The PSI we suggest will be posted on the VIN sticker on the sidewall of the unit. 

​Typically RV Tires don't require balancing, we do not balance them here. 

and... ACTION!
So, I am determined to keep to the 50psi tire pressure that the original tires came with.  I am not at all convinced that using Goodyear Endurance is a good idea -- they are proud of the sidewall stiffness of their tire... with extra stiffness AND extra inflation pressure (65 pounds recommended/required) it seems like an invitation for more transmitted road vibration and impact to the trailer itself.

The best tire I can find in the right size with the right tire pressure is:

Maxxis M8008  TL12460000  205/75R14

I think I would have them balanced, as in "no harm done..."

Comments or suggestions???  and love to all...

Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2022
    I believe it's desirable to have stiffer sidewalls in a trailer tire. They'll have less tendency to sway, and will run cooler due to less flex.

Lower tire pressure can also affect the temperature, though there's a possibility that the 65# pressure spec with the Goodyear tires might be only their recommended max inflation pressure. Likely you can run a lower pressure.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    I agree balancing is probably a good idea although not considered necessary for utility trailers. It will reduce vibration in the trailer while traveling.

Tire choice is a personal thing and should be based on how you trailer is used. For example, we use our 320 for state park camping and travel on the highway. A tire build for speed and road use, like the Endurance is a good match. If you driving a lot on dirt roads, I would lean towards a more agricultural tire like the Hercules (made by Cooper tire sold through tractor supply and feed stores) intended for on and off road.

Like batteries, tires come in many different designs and levels of quality. Rather than trying to match tire pressure, look for something based on how you use your trailer. A two year replacement seams short. What is happening with your original tires?
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    ChanW said:
    I believe it's desirable to have stiffer sidewalls in a trailer tire. They'll have less tendency to sway, and will run cooler due to less flex.

Lower tire pressure can also affect the temperature, though there's a possibility that the 65# pressure spec with the Goodyear tires might be only their recommended max inflation pressure. Likely you can run a lower pressure.
    I agree, the stiffer sidewalls of a ST trailer tire are there for a reason -- and I'm convinced that I should use them, partly because of the cooler run temperature you refer to.  Not to mention LT (light truck) tires, which some swear are better for travel trailers, are not available in our 14" size.

However -- it seems to me that there must be a "three little bears" right stiffness for our NuCamp T@B trailers.  Two things, other than the manufacturer, affect stiffness -- the tire pressure, and the tire design load rating.  Our OEM has a C rating.  I don't doubt that a D or E rating means more stiffness to deal with intended greater loads.  That isn't inherently good.  On top of that, the Goodyear Endurance brand brags about tire weight and sidewall stiffness -- AND comes in a minimum D rating in our size.  I found a Youtube (don't laugh at me...) video of someone with a 5th wheeler who replaced his tires with Endurance tires and took before and after videos of his trailer underside while running on the highway.  His comment, pretty much... "the trailer spends more time in the air now!!!"

The 320 non boondock suspension seems ok for intended use, but I, for one, am not looking for additional road vibration transmission.

Goodyear (and pretty much all ST manufacturers) recommend you run their tire at the maximum cold inflation, as far as I can tell. 

I would be really uncomfortable running a tire designed for 65 psi at the greatly reduced NuCamp recommended 50 psi.  Frankly, given Creed's advice, I'd be uncomfortable running anything but a C rated 50 psi maximum ST tire  -- which is why I started this discussion.  Just looking for the best one, or someone to talk me into a totally different mind set.

• Options
    Mickerly said:
    I agree balancing is probably a good idea although not considered necessary for utility trailers. It will reduce vibration in the trailer while traveling.

Tire choice is a personal thing and should be based on how you trailer is used. For example, we use our 320 for state park camping and travel on the highway. A tire build for speed and road use, like the Endurance is a good match. If you driving a lot on dirt roads, I would lean towards a more agricultural tire like the Hercules (made by Cooper tire sold through tractor supply and feed stores) intended for on and off road.

Like batteries, tires come in many different designs and levels of quality. Rather than trying to match tire pressure, look for something based on how you use your trailer. A two year replacement seams short. What is happening with your original tires?
    Sure, tire choice is personal, but our non-boondock trailers are designed for a certain user profile -- which we fit perfectly, as do you.  Mostly highway driving, some back and side roads, no serious off-road use.  NuCamp provides clear direction for the tire they think works for those design parameters, and puts that info on the VIN  sticker.  Should I really ignore that?

My 2020 320S came with one tire manufactured in 2017 and one in 2018, so the older tire is now 5 years old.  I'm not racing out to buy new tires, but, given the age and the low-endish reported quality of the OEM tires, I am starting to plan on replacement.  I'll likely do it in the fall, after my third year of use.  
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Thanks Yanni for this topic.  Our 320 CSS is a year older, and we have the same travel profile. Time for us to look into tires too.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The nüCamp OEM tires are also stiff side, most ST (trailer tires) have stiffer sides compared to auto tires.  The stiffer side on trailer tires also helps to reduce trailer sway.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    The nüCamp OEM tires are also stiff side, most ST (trailer tires) have stiffer sides compared to auto tires.  The stiffer side on trailer tires also helps to reduce trailer sway.
     Cheers 

yes, they do -- of course!!!  and the heavier, higher load rated tires have even stiffer sides.   A "C" rated ST tire (OEM) is certainly less stiff than a "D" or "E" ST tire.... and less stiff than a tire with a higher inflation. 

• Options
    Replacing 5 year old tires makes since. I will agree, many trailer tires are aimed at higher weights than our 320's. I've also considered Carlisle tires. They come in load range C and seam to receive good reviews. The previous owner of my trailer left me with a pair of 2018 Hercules. I have at least one more summer of use possibly two on these tires. They are working well.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    I've been curious about the Carlisle tires as well. Are they made in China?   I believe that the Maxxis are made in Thailand. 
  • Options
    Most of the Carlisle tire lines are made in Tennessee; however, the radial Trail HD, the one made for travel trailers, is manufactured in China. They are closing the China operations in stages. I'm hoping, in a year or two, it will be produced outside China. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    So, still looking into the "best 320 non- boondock tire" question. I've confirmed that tire manufacturers are serious about running ST tires at their maximum cold psi.  That is different than passenger tires because the thicker side walls cause ST tires to overheat with excess flexing at lower than maximum inflation settings. They use words like "unsafe" when discussing lower psi settings.  I also believe that staying with Nucamp's 50 psi recommendation makes sense because the tire flex is an important part of the rudimentary 320 suspension. So... looks like the rational decision is to stay with a C rated tire- which means NO Goodyear Endurance on a non boondock... at least for me! 
  • Options
    just to bring my tire odyssey to a close -- first, thanks all for your patience with my obessive ramblings -- I will be installing Carlisle SKU# 6H04551 ST205/75R14 C load range tires, with a 50psi max. inflation and a rated speed of 81mph and a rated load of 1760 pounds.  I was pleased to see the 81 mph rated speed, rather than 60 mph.  I'll continue to drive at 60 and under for the most part, but welcome the higher speed rating for the implied safety cushion.

Yes, I wish they were made in the USA, but this seems to be as good as it gets for now.

Again, thanks all.
  • Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    I have Carlisle tires on my 7000 lb car hauling trailer and on our Keystone Outback 21RS. I’ve had no problems with them and will put them on our 320 CSS when the time comes.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    I have Carlisle tires on my 7000 lb car hauling trailer and on our Keystone Outback 21RS. I’ve had no problems with them and will put them on our 320 CSS when the time comes.
    Well, Pintoplumber, if you'd just spoken up earlier you could have saved me from a week of waffling ;<)
  • Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    The only problem I’ve had is getting screws in the tires at the scrapyard. I’ve had 2 in the right rear of the trailer and one in the right rear of the suburban. I saw a lot of screws next to me today, hopefully none under me.( I took a load of old water heaters to the scrapyard today.)
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    GoldenGalaxyGoldenGalaxy Member Posts: 3
    Hi! @YanniLazarus those are the exact tires (Carlisle SKU# 6H04551) I am considering for my new-to-me 2021 tab 320 css (boy the options are really limited aren’t they?!) How have they been working out for you over the last year, are you satisfied with them? I think it’s either those or I’ll just replace with Trailer Kings like the originals although they don’t seem to be the best quality (the Castle Rock or Provider tires that also meet all the specs don’t have great reviews either). Thanks for your time!
    *2021 Tab 320 CSS* *2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL*
  • Options
    I am perfectly happy with my carlisle tires! 
  • Options
    GoldenGalaxyGoldenGalaxy Member Posts: 3
    So glad to hear it, thank you!
    *2021 Tab 320 CSS* *2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL*
  • Options
    We're happy with our Hercules. They are actually made by Cooper tire company in Indiana.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"