Options

Need explanation about the circulation pump, please

My trailer (320S)  is still winterized with antifreeze and I bypassed the hot water tank and unpluged Alde last fall. The trailer is now on shore power. My nephew visited last weekend and played with my controls.  He started the circulation pump which I don't know well yet. I turned it off right away, but it was on for a minute or two.  A little antifreeze came out of the shower and faucet.  My understanding was that the pump circulates the glycol, so how would it affect the antifreeze in the water pipes? Will there be antifreeze in the hot water tank because of that?  Also, in the posts explaining the glycol exchange I see instructions about turning the pump on and a number to set it to. I don't see where I could do that. Does it apply to a 320S or only T@b 400 perhaps ?
Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
"The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Circulation pump moves glycol around the piping from the Alde to all the convectors, shouldn't affect domestic water taps at all.

There is a very small dial on the end of the circulating pumps should be set between 2 and 3 for normal usage.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    @N7SHG_Ham  Oh ! I see where, now.  I thought that we had to set it in the control panel.  Thanks!
    I still think that my antifreeze coming out of the faucets was bizarre.  Still investigating why.
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Dame_plume - it sounds like he turned on the water pump.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM No, he only went by the control panel, not close to the water pump switch.  I was at the sink and he was behind me.  I think I will flush the hot water tank anyway to be on the safe side.  It can not hurt.  
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited April 2023
    My guess is that turning on the Alde created some ambient heat that warmed the adjacent water pipes. This could increase the pressure in the pipes a bit, and cause a little antifreeze to be forced out at the taps.
    For that matter, a warm day could have the same effect.
    As N7SHG_Ham noted, the Alde glycol loop and the domestic hot water supply are completely separate. I doubt the antifreeze coming from the taps has any direct connection to running the Alde circulator pump.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2023
    @ScottG If ambient temperature could be a factor, then it is probably what happened because it was quite warm last weekend.  But could heat come from the pump alone, because the Alde was unplugged from the outlet?  My nephew played with the control panel only.  Learning the Alde is a big job for newbies.  You can recite the whole manual but it does not help as long as you don't understand it.  Thank God for you all!
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    Dame_plume said:
    . . .  Learning the Alde is a big job for newbies.  . . .
    Haha =), very true.  However, once you understand it the Alde is a very nice heating system,
    P.S.  For what it's worth; I Agree with @ScottG   guess that the leaking fresh-water lines
          anti-freeze has to do with the pipes warming . . . due to ambient temperature or the
          glycol pump running.;  Expect all is 100% okay.  Go camping and find out ;)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    But could heat come from the pump alone, because the Alde was unplugged from the outlet? 
    No, I doubt the pump alone would generate that much heat, but the warm day could certainly do it!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG Thank you Scott.  I feel much better knowing that nothing is wrong with "My Precious"  :)