Options

ALDE unit seeping all its antifreeze onto the floor

More ALDE fun. This $75/gallon antifreeze is leaking out of the bottom of my ALDE unit. 

None of the hoses are leaking. I could not figure out where the fluid was going. It isn’t coming out the pressure release valve & hose either. 

That was the initial thought from NuCamp is that changing elevations somehow could have caused it to dump all the fluid on the ground through the release valve. 

Finally sourced some (really expensive) antifreeze, poured it in and then watch the ALDE seep it all over the floor, straight out of the ALDE unit itself. 🤬

I’m already on my second ALDE unit, NuCamp replaced the first one within the first year because of corrosion problems with the 2021 model year being delivered with the wrong (yellow) antifreeze. Had several pipes that just corroded right through. 

In the year and a half since it was replaced it has worked great… up to now. 

So frustrating — when it works it works so well. Can’t get the dealer to even return a call or email.

Pics available here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsZlx6jOSfc/

Anyone else have this happen?

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2023
    @krsmes, unless I just can't see the tint in the Alde glycol fluid in you photo/video, that looks like water to me.  However, assuming the towel you used to soak up the liquid was originally white, its color is consistent with the Alde fluid.  Also, if your glycol reservoir is empty as well, then it definitely is glycol.

The below discussions may be of interest to you:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7304/alde-drip-pan

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13425/leaking-around-base-of-alde-3020#latest

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13033/bad-alde-internal-water-leak#latest
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2023
    @Bayliss there’s no water in the system (completely drained) and that liquid is slightly sticky and smells the same as what I had just poured in.

So no it isn’t water. But it is coming out that hole in the drip pan that is pictured in those posts 
  • Options
    DM159DM159 Member Posts: 43
    Might be internal tank weld failure - like ours.  Same symptoms and glycol loss.  Make sure your Aldi serial number is registered with Truma so the 2 year warranty is valid.   
    2023 TAB 400 with modifications in process.

• Options
    @DM159 this appears to be the case. Now the fun of working on how to get this resolved
  • Options
    NuCamp is good to deal with.  Pleasant and willing to do what you need.  If your Aldi is out of warranty or never registered with Truma... it is a shocker.  

• Options
    On our first ALDE issue in 2021 Truma, NuCamp, and our dealer (an ALDE service center, with a months long wait list) were all pointing fingers at each other, and that was while the trailer was under NuCamp’s 1 yr warranty. Now it isn’t but the ALDE, since it has already been replaced by NuCamp in Nov 2021, should still be under Truma’s 2 yr warranty. 

I just can’t believe how many problems I’ve had with this system in the two and a half years owning this trailer. 
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2023
    @krsmes, thanks for the additional info about there being no water in the tank.  I had actually realized that may be the case after thinking about it further.  The liquid flow seemed relatively slow in your video.  I just had my system flushed and refilled, and have an extra gallon of the fluid, but I have not had occasion to touch/smell the fluid, so I had not realized it has a bit of a stickiness to it.

I am optimistic that Alde will replace the tank for you.  The issue will be proving that there is corrosion inside the tank, which is the condition that must be present for the two-year warranty to apply.  It's pretty bad if it is already corroded after less than one year, but your original tank was (albeit having the previous glycol), so who knows.  If you get push-back, you can always argue the "implied warranty of merchantability" (i.e., the product should work as intended and there should be nothing significantly wrong with it.)  I have had zero problems with mine, but it does seem that there have been more and more issues with the newer version(s) being reported by owners.

Please keep us informed how things go in trying to get this resolved quickly and amicably.  It will be interesting to see how much effort nuCamp puts toward assisting you in that regard (if necessary), but you'll have to start with Truma-Alde first.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Still going back and forth with nuCamp warranty and service. 

No response to any communication with ALDE/Truma. 

Dealer has “washed their hands” of it pointing to nuCamp. 

🙄

——
    here’s the full history of our ALDE experience to date:

In December 2020, I took ownership of my nuCamp T@B400 RV from the dealer in Columbus, Ohio. I was looking forward to adventures, but little did I know I was embarking on a different journey altogether, filled with a series of issues involving the ALDE heating system.

In the summer of 2021, I experienced the first issue. The pipe connecting the main ALDE unit to the ALDE Flow sprung a leak, apparently from corrosion. Thankfully, I was at home and not traveling. The dealer replaced the short pipe, but the problem was far from over.

Just a few months later, in the fall of 2021, the ALDE sprung another leak in the same (replaced) pipe. This time, I took the RV to nuCamp, where they informed me about an issue with the antifreeze. Apparently, my trailer had been filled with the wrong fluid which caused corrosion, possibly throughout the system. The entire ALDE unit had to be replaced, and the system was then filled with blue-green antifreeze instead of the problematic yellow one.

Just when I thought the worst was over, in spring 2022, another problem arose. The ALDE hot water safety valve malfunctioned, draining all the water onto the ground. nuCamp overnighted replacement safety valves to my location, and I was able to continue my trip after installing them.

After enduring a turbulent year, I was relieved when the system worked without issues for a whole year. However, in the winter of 2023, I noticed that the water pump kept turning on frequently and realized that the issue from spring 2022 was recurring. The safety valve was leaking again, but this time only dripping. Unfortunately, I've been unable to obtain a replacement part, so for now, I turn the pump off when it's not in use.

Then, in spring 2023, on my way home from our winter trip, I realized the heating had stopped working. There was no antifreeze in the reservoir. nuCamp suggested that it might have been released through the “automatic air bleeder valve”. After arriving back home and obtaining antifreeze from the dealer and pouring it into the reservoir, I discovered it seeping out of the bottom of the main ALDE unit. This indicated that there was an internal leak within the ALDE unit.

Throughout this ordeal, I've documented each instance, corresponded with nuCamp and the dealer, posted here and on Instagram, hoping to find solutions and find/help others who might be experiencing similar problems.

I’m a fan of the ALDE when it works but not at all a fan of their quality, support, and lack of serviceable parts.  

• Options
    Sounds like the Aldi internal tank that holds the glycol may have a leak.  With all the stories of Aldi problems, I hope Truma is aware and taking steps to insure the quality of their manufacturing process.  I'm sure it will be difficult for NuCamp to continue on this path without some resolution of the Aldi problems.     

• Options
    @DM159 I willing to assume the vast majority of people don’t have problems. Could be wrong, but I’m willing to believe my terrible experience with the system is not the normal experience.  

Unfortunately that doesn’t solve any of my problems. 
  • Options
    Got the trailer up to nuCamp to look at it. Same conclusion: internal leak in the ALDE unit itself. 

$3000 to replace it. 🤬

this will be my third ALDE in less than three years
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    Aren't the earlier replacements under warranty?
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    @Horigan the first replacement was. Still trying to figure out if anyone’s (nuCamp, Truma, dealer extended) warranty covers this. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Finally got in touch with Truma and gave them our full history. There is an open case now and they will get back to us in a week or so.

- Dealer has washed their hands of it seeing nuCamp replaced the ALDE last time
    - Extended warranty company thinks it should still be under the manufacturer’s warranty seeing it was replaced.
    - nuCamp says it isn’t covered, the replacement did not reset/restart the warranty date and pointed to Truma.
    The person at Truma was very nice and understanding of the frustration of our experience, but now we wait for the case review. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    UPDATE: Got my trailer back a bit a ago with a new ALDE boiler amongst other regular maintenance and repairs (replaced the screen door due to broken tension lines, shattered stove cover, twisted stabilizer jack, etc.)

After many emails and phone calls Truma is reimbursing us for the cost of the ALDE boiler itself. They won't warranty the new one as it was a "goodwill" replacement, which is fine as I'm grateful to have saved $2k (still waiting for the check though). 

Having a 2021 T@B that originally came with the wrong glycol I have my doubts that my ALDE problems are over with for good.    In the conversations with Truma they did not sound very pleased with nuCamp.  After two corrosion issues in the first year (holes in the metal pipes) and now a failed boiler (internal glycol leak) two years in, what is next? There’s no telling what shape the internals of the convectors looks like.  I still see a few white flakes in the glycol near the air release valve behind the bed (none under the kitchen sink). 

I’ve asked nuCamp, Truma, and my dealer (who also sells airstreams and is an ALDE service center) what I should be doing differently or if there is any other preventive maintenance I should be doing. nuCamp guy literally just shrugged his shoulders (it was an in person conversation), Truma said no there’s nothing you’ve doing wrong (thus the goodwill replacement). The dealer just said to use it less. 

nuCamp should have done an actual recall on this subset of 2021 trailers they screwed up on. 

Both Truma and nuCamp have clearly stated no warranties on the new work and no more “goodwill” going forward… I’m going to have to eat the cost of future failures due to their mistakes.  

—Not a happy camper
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,194
    Wow. So @krsmes is this all due possibly to the Century glycol? It's so weird because you see hit and miss of it working just fine for some and being a total disaster for others. 

I'm on the new Rhomar fluid and I really hope this is the silver bullet for corrosion. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I’m open to other explanations but no one has given any.  

As for the hit and miss on the earlier pipe corrosion it might be a combination of Century glycol and overall usage amount— right after we got the ‘21 trailer at the end of 2020 we went on a four month winter/spring camping expedition in the southwest.  

Truma mentioned something about an ALDE electrical / grounding problem with nuCamp 2021 installations. 

But no one really l has had and good explanation for the internal glycol leak after 1.5 years on a new boiler with the correct Rhomar glycol.  Even the very kind and helpful person at Truma, with whom we communicate with over a several week period, could not explain it

No idea really. As nice as it is when it works it seems like an overly complex and fragile system. This was especially disappointing to me as the quiet ALDE was one of the key factors for me in going with nuCamp in the first place. (Not having to convert the dinette to a bed was the other key factor otherwise we probably would have gone with the 18’ Oliver). 

I think my dealer probably gave the best advice which was to use the ALDE  less. We keep it off now unless we need the hot water, even on electric.  Not sure what our winter plan is yet. 
  • Options
    NessmukNessmuk Member Posts: 26
    I’ve been wondering if, at the first sign of an out of warranty issue, it wouldn't be worth it to see if pulling it out and replacing it with some sort of on demand water heater wouldn’t be the way to go. We have a 2021 320S Boondock and have yet to use the Alde. I turned it on once to make certain it works, but have never since had it on.
    They seem to be an over engineered PITA. And the new highly expensive fluid turns out to be no better than the old. They use different fluid in Europe which I know is poisonous, but we don't use the shower or use the onboard water for drinking or cooking. Seems for some of us it might be the way to go (at your own risk of course).
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I’m curious what the Instagram/YouTubers ourfulltimeadventure couple did to their Cirrus 820 — I know they ripped out the ALDE and replaced it with something to create a propane-free camper due to a prior propane explosion with a different camper.   I think they talked about in one of their videos after getting the Cirrus, when I have spare time I’ll see if I can find it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the ALDE — just wish it was reliable under high usage, any elevation/environment and/or less complex to fix.

UPDATE: they installed an Espar Hydronic Diesel heating system (doesn’t heat the water) but they don’t have a video on it (yet). 
  • Options
    DanSeesDanSees Member Posts: 49
    After reading through this thread. It appears to me you had issue with corrosion no matter which transfer fluid you had in the system. Correct me if I'm wrong. My Tab320 was built in june of 2020 & has the Century fluid. I have replaced the fluid once & I am planning to do it again this spring. I am not convinced the Rhomar fluid is worth the cost. This thread is just one of several that supports my conclusions. Century fluid has & still is used in many hydronic heatring systems with no corrosion issues. I believe the issue is with Truama's manufacturing and type of alluminum tubing they use. I am retired , but when I was working I was a aircraft structures technician. I worked with several different grades of alluminum. Truama has a chioce & I believe they went with the less expensive grades. 
    2021 T@b 320S Boondock 
    TV - 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Retired aircraft mechanic from AA
    2-3 several week trips per year & other trips we can squeeze inbetween our long trips.
    Avid road bicycle rider. always carry a bike or 2 with us.