Options

Tank Sensor Cleaning

RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
Has anyone tried cleaning the sensors (and tank) by adding a dishwasher capsule to a tank half filled with water and agitating by driving to the next destination ?
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    There is a difference now in the sensors on the KIB monitor and the SeeLevel monitors.  I have no idea if a dishwasher capsule would hurt or help, but the most it might do is clean the entire tank, which certainly might help the monitors do their jobs.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Aren't the sensors themselves installed on the outside of the tanks? IIRC that was the case with the earliest installations (including some DIY). I have no idea if things have changed in subsequent years.
    The tank sensor on my 2015 involves a strong flashlight and a set of knee pads...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    On my 2018 400 they appear to be installed through the wall of the tank, with metal buttons on the inside that do the sensing.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    I tried sloshing bleach solution - no success.  Leaving the drain open for a week between trips made the indicator read empty.  As soon as it was in use it stayed at 2/3 the rest of the trip.  I may try the dishwasher soap suggestion,
    This is in the gray tank with a KIB system.  

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    Which tank are you trying to clean? The Black tack is best cleaned with a sprayer periodically. The gray tank has a different issue, food grease. That needs a detergent or enzyme based treatment to either make the grease soluble in water or break it into parts that are soluble. I use Dawn Ultra twice per year, but there are many options. Bleach won't work. It is not the right solvent.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    Mickerly said:
    Which tank are you trying to clean? The Black tack is best cleaned with a sprayer periodically. The gray tank has a different issue, food grease. That needs a detergent or enzyme based treatment to either make the grease soluble in water or break it into parts that are soluble. I use Dawn Ultra twice per year, but there are many options. Bleach won't work. It is not the right solvent.
    We switched to Dawn at the last  campsite and moved with a partially filled gray tank.  Now the sensor goes to "E" again.  Our gray tank gets almost exclusively dish water.  I hope it was this easy to fix...

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Older model-year nüCamp trailers have the SeeLevel Tank Monitor which uses external to tank sensors and a percentage full display.

Starting around model-year 2020 nüCamp changed to the KIB Systems which uses in-tank probes (sensors).  The KIB measures the resistance between probes and uses four LEDs to display an approximate tank status.

The KIB tank monitors have been around for decades and have never been a reliable system for measuring holding tank status.  Extra moisture on a tank side, oils and grease, toilet paper, even softness/hardness of the water can cause invalid resistance readings between the in-tank probes.

The standard factory-installed probes tend to be a simple button probe.  Several aftermarket alternate probe designs are available; some shield the electrical part and others extend the probe (active tip) into the tank {away from the tank side wall}.  My personal experience with aftermarket probes (used on a recreational boat) is that they help - - decrease invalid reads but do not totally fix the problem.

This youtube video has a very informative and detailed explanation of the KIB System and probes:
          RV Tank Monitor (KIB)

IMHO, nüCamp switched to the KIB system for these reasons: 
      == a  ==  Purchase price, KIB is much cheaper to purchase than SeeLevel
      == b  ==  Production labor cost; SeeLevel requires production floor calibration (man-hours)
                        KIB is simple install and move on.
      == c  ==  Panel Customization; KIB provides RV Brand & Model Specific control panels that can include
                        other switches such as lights.  This makes for a nice looking cabin and again reduces the
                        production floor labor costs.

Some forum members noted nüCamp claimed the switch to KIB from SeeLevel was because SeeLevel had a high warranty repair cost.  The SeeLevel Sensor panels are pricey, can fail, and do require a bit of thinking to install - - - but based on the very limited number of forum posts stating SeeLevel issues I find nüCamp's reported reason questionable.  More so as KIB forum problem posts started as soon as the switch to KIB happened.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+