Options

Creating air space in hot water tank

stmur7stmur7 Member Posts: 21
Hi, on my 2022 Tab 400, I have 2 valves for the hot water tank. It looks like one is for cold going in and the other is hot coming out. The manual says to open the valve every 10 days for 10 seconds or so to create air space. Does this mean both valves at the same time or just one valve? And, which one? Secondly, should you have these open while traveling?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    On the incoming CW line, there should be a blue valve with a yellow flap. This serves as both an Alde drain and an automatic pressure relief valve. This is the valve that Alde typically recommends opening to maintain the "air cushion" in the Alde HW tank. You flip the yellow flap up (perpendicular to the pipe) to open the valve.
    There is no reason to leave this valve open when traveling. Doing so will just completely drain your Alde HW tank.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    You can also hold down the yellow valve briefly to drain a little water and restore the air cushion.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    stmur7stmur7 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks. I'm not sur why I was supposed to know it's the cold water valve that you open and not the hot water valve. That is definitely not clear in the manual.