Options

Subaru Tow Vehicle

dchaydchay Member Posts: 2
Looking for advice on using a Subaru Outback as a tow vehicle for a new Tab 320 S (not Boondock). The Outback has a towing capacity spec of 2700 lbs and tongue wt spec of 240 lbs. Subaru dealer advises it would be fine but just wondering if anyone has actual experience with an Outback or similar size suv.

Comments

• Options
    jamesdn1948jamesdn1948 Member Posts: 8
    I tow my 320S with a 2023 Outback Touring XT with the 2.4 turbo motor. That combo is rated for 3500 lbs. A 320S may be a tad too heavy when loaded for a standard Outback with the 2.5 non turbo motor (2700 lbs). The factory hitch is recommended although it is more expensive than after market. You will also need to install a 7 pin trailer connector and some type of trailer brake controller.
    Jim
    2023 Tab 320S

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited October 2023
    Generally, operating anything at or above it's rated maximum capacity is not advised.  Any number of unanticipated events can result in a dangerous overload situation.
    That said,  a lot depends on how far, how often, and your level of experience.
    Remember, the weight of  everything that did not come with the trailer and car when new counts towards the rated capacity.
    3500 pounds has long been the recommended minimum towing capacity for comfortable towing of a basic T@B 320. 
    Be careful.
    Have fun!

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited October 2023
    I can’t recommend the lower rated Outbacks for towing a modern 320; it’s very difficult for most people to keep from overloading such a low tongue weight, and the Tab frankly tows better behind an Outback when the tongue weight is closer to 12-15% of the trailer weight rather than 10%. A former 2021 Tab 320 owner I know had a hard time staying below the 350 lb tongue weight limit of the current generation turbo Outback models, and my 2019 320, which is more lightly loaded than most people will carry, still comes in at about 270, because that’s where I get a more comfortable towing experience. Older Tabs—2015 or further back, especially the old Dutchman models, were much lighter weight and have lighter dry tongue weights as well.

And because the Outbacks don’t have a huge payload capacity, you can’t just carry your gear in your car instead of the trailer. Payload is people + pets + cargo inside or on top of the car PLUS the tongue weight, and like all the weight limits involved in towing, it’s safest not to max that out. If you’re among the standard 2 people + a dog setup we often see around here, most of your payload is already gone once you add even the 240 lb TW limit your Outback allows. My setup is as light as it is because there’s only one of me, I pack light, and I don’t carry things like bikes, kayaks, extra beer coolers, etc.

Never listen to the dealer on this score—car or RV. 98% of them either lie outright to make the sale, or have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to towing with anything other than a big truck. A vehicle with 3500 lbs overall towing capacity with a 350 lb tongue weight limit is truly the lowest you should consider using to safely tow a later model nuCamp-built Tab 320. 

(I’ll also add a personal comment: I’ll never again buy a lighter-weight tow vehicle without some sort of built in sway control. As the former Tab owner I mentioned can attest, a simple sway bar—which is actually prohibited from use on an Outback, per the owner’s manual—may not be sufficient to prevent a sway-induced accident. Just my 2¢ on that score, plenty of folks will disagree. But if I had it to do over, I’d trade the Outback in for an Ascent, or a more capable non-Subaru tow vehicle.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dchaydchay Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. The Subaru Outback turbo and the non-turbo are built on the same platform. The Subaru service people tell me the increased towing capacity and tongue wt specs for the turbo is solely because of the higher hp output of the engine coupled with more robust transmission gearing and cooling. Essentially the turbo engine will haul a heavier load up hills, etc without struggling. The suspension on both vehicles is the same and therefore should handle the same (apart from the power issue) under towing conditions. Has anyone found this not to be the case? Comments please.
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    dchay said:
    The Subaru Outback turbo and the non-turbo are built on the same platform. The Subaru service people tell me the increased towing capacity and tongue wt specs for the turbo is solely because of the higher hp output of the engine coupled with more robust transmission gearing and cooling. 
    There are no "gears". It's a CV Transmission. It only gives you the illusion of having actual gears. Most likely only a larger transmission cooler which they need as they are prone to overheating.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 90
    @dchay
    Please also consider that if you are involved in an accident of any type the insurance companies will look very closely at your towing situation and will take every opportunity to hold you responsible if you are not within specifications. 

Being at or over recommended specs increases the chance of something bad happening. Find a TV that gives you some headroom. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    dchay said:
    Thanks for the feedback. The Subaru Outback turbo and the non-turbo are built on the same platform. The Subaru service people tell me the increased towing capacity and tongue wt specs for the turbo is solely because of the higher hp output of the engine coupled with more robust transmission gearing and cooling. Essentially the turbo engine will haul a heavier load up hills, etc without struggling. The suspension on both vehicles is the same and therefore should handle the same (apart from the power issue) under towing conditions. Has anyone found this not to be the case? Comments please.
    Trying to rationalize that a clearly inadequate vehicle is possibly capable is a bad approach.  The manufacturer has many parameters it considers to achieve the capacity ratings.  Service writers and mechanics are not qualified or authorized to determine the towing capability or recommend any thing other than the manufacturers guidelines.  

• Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    Our 2020 XT + 2018 CSS has been great for us. Going over the Sierra passes and climbing the long grade in Death Valley was just fine. It’s been stable when crossing the windy sections of the Sacramento delta. MPG is 17-18. 
    I really liked the turbo’s torque and recommend it over the 2.5L engine of my previous Subarus. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    We have an Onyx XT. It has a larger oil cooler, heavier suspension, and the turbocharger. There are no issues pulling a 2018 320CS-S. Yes, 18mpg at 65.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    JohnnySarjonoJohnnySarjono Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2022 Outback (rated at 3,500 towing max). It has worked fine towing our 2014 TAB (which weighs 1,940 empty).
    2014 T@B MAX S (Little Guy)
    TV: 2022 Subaru Outback
    Portland, OR
  • Options
    UpupawayUpupaway Member Posts: 1
    Our 2023 Subaru Outback non-turbo has been towing our 2015 T@B S-Max for over a year now without much effort, seemingly. Dry weight is 2,000 lbs. Of course, we are careful about adding additional weight. The towing specs on the Subaru say 3500 lbs. We do not come close to that. This substantial sway/tow bar upgrade came with the deal. Together the performance is tops.  Gas mileage is the "pits' but the joy of being out there takes the sting of the price tag way down. 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    We tow with a Subaru Outback Onyx XT. It has heavier suspension, bigger brakes, bigger oil cooler and more power. Absolutely no issues towing. The Wilderness addition has the same upgrades for towing.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"