Options

Can Someone Lead Me To A Post On Cabinet Door Supports?

SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
I've spent the greater part of an afternoon and it's into the evening trying to find the post about installing "struts" or supports which keep the cabinet doors open above the sink in the Max S.  Please help me find the post.

Comments

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Here's a video from YouTube showing how to use springs to keep cabinet doors open. http://youtu.be/ULAJAGy3i2M
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    No problem, Sgtjohn...

These are the ones I installed, and they work great.

In the Yahoo group Files section titled Cabinet Springs Mini Workshop.

I've attached the file here.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sgtjohn, I found my springs at Ace Hardware.... it's on my list of things to install soon. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    I installed the springs as per Richard Lewis's video. My spouse is very happy.
  • Options
    i'm afraid I'm looking for the post that describes installation of spring loaded struts-purchased on Amazon.
  • Options
    Sgtjohn, only $2 per door for the spring and the eye hook. It really does work. I even saw some heavy duty springs holding up the galley hatch on a homemade teardrop. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I've already bought the struts and I'm running into some problems but....the springs are far more reasonable than the struts so guess what I'm going to do?  I'll be making a trip to HD tomorrow to pick up those springs.  The struts are hard on the hinges of the cabinet doors!  Thanks!
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have struts everywhere except the front overhead cabinets and they are fine.  what power did you get?  I wanted struts on the benches and back cabinets so went that route for everything else, but didn't bother with the upper front door (used brass cabinet hardware to hold open).    
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    I've already bought the struts and I'm running into some problems but....the springs are far more reasonable than the struts so guess what I'm going to do?  I'll be making a trip to HD tomorrow to pick up those springs.  The struts are hard on the hinges of the cabinet doors!  Thanks!
    I was told to put the springs at a 45* angle and they would work fine. Too many things in the Verna-do list and I haven't gotten "round-to-it" yet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm not sure if a round tewit would help with this Verna. It wasn't mentioned in the instructions... :-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
     =) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I'd like to thank all who assisted me in keeping the cabinet doors open.  This is what transpired:  My HD didn't have the 4.5" she springs and i remember buying  a screen door spring (I don't have a screen door but at the time I bought the spring it was important).  Anyway I managed to locate the spring and cut it to 4.5" x 2 and have the springs fashioned to what I need.  Now, I have to find the eye hooks.
    Again, thank you to all for the information!
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Very clever idea, those springs! I bought a few strut-types, but ones that were spring-operated, not gas-operated. Not too expensive, maybe $5 for a pair, but it did take a bit of finagling to get the anchor points down correctly. They do work well, however. (Wish I had seen the spring-thing before!) I'd post a pic of the product I used, but the T@B went into storage this morning and won't come out until springtime.  :(
  • Options
    I installed the springs and I opened the door and closed the door without having to touch or bend the springs-and they keep the door open.  Wife is well pleased!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    You don't need to bend the spring to close it? How'd you manage that, Sgtjohn? A special way of installing them? Got enny pictures?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I put some in (thanks to Wanderoo for those details) and love them as well.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    My eye hooks won't stay in place any longer.  Maybe I need to go up a size.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    TABaker said:
    My eye hooks won't stay in place any longer.  Maybe I need to go up a size.
    Crystal, if your hole is large enough to hold a wooden toothpick, put some white glue or super glue on the toothpick and push it into the hole. Wait a while for the glue to dry and break or saw the toothpick to the correct length. Then drill a smaller hole than needed in the toothpick and screw the screw eye in. It works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The glued toothpick approach works (though I ususally switch to a slightly longer screw to get some extra bite).
  • Options
    I dunno why I don't have to bend the springs before I close the cabinet door, I thought I would have to but didn't happen.  I think maybe it's the distance from he hinge etc.?
  • Options
    Well that's interesting. Might be that I used shorter springs, or mounted them differently.

If you have a chance, can you post a picture? I'd be interested to know the difference.
    Sgtjohn said:
    I dunno why I don't have to bend the springs before I close the cabinet door, I thought I would have to but didn't happen.  I think maybe it's the distance from he hinge etc.?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    I had to bend the spring too but now I don't! I think the eyelet got bent to a slightly different angle. BTW, Don't use a spring that's too hefty. Thinner dia and gauge is better. 
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    When we were taking the factory tour, we were in the area where the cabinets for the new truck campers were. Somebody opened one of the cabinet doors, and the tour guide couldn't get it closed back up. Turns out they had those springs as door supports. I bent the spring and the door closed right back up :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I tried the springs without success. Went to these at Amazon ($9.35 a pair). RV Designer H279 Cabinet Door Support Plastic 6.25".  Be very careful to insure the strut has enough travel to compress when the door begins to close! If not, it will pop the hinge off that side of the door which could possibly damage the wood ceiling above it. Once installed, they are a great mod.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2015
    I initially had prob with the springs. They wouldn't give unless I remembered to give them a tug to bend them. One of the eyelets the spring was attached to bent almost flat. I tweaked them to a slight angle on purpose and now they "break" easy when I pull the door down without bending the eyes. Happy with them now, no more busted knuckles from falling doors!
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    I tried the springs without success. Went to these at Amazon ($9.35 a pair). RV Designer H279 Cabinet Door Support Plastic 6.25".  Be very careful to insure the strut has enough travel to compress when the door begins to close! If not, it will pop the hinge off that side of the door which could possibly damage the wood ceiling above it. Once installed, they are a great mod.
    I bought the springs also and for the life of me couldn't mount them properly so I went to the springs and had success for less.  I cut a common screen door spring down and used it x2 on each door and it works great.  I asked Amazon for a refund and they gave me a refund  and let me keep the supports!!!  I'd like to send them to someone and would if they'd pay the postage...send me a msg and I'll respond.

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Here is a photo of the RV Designer H279.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    OutbackAZ said:

Here is a photo of the RV Designer H279.

Do these take up space inside of the cabinet?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    From the pic it looks like it would stay pretty much up next to the door when closed. Maybe stick into the cupboard a half-inch or so.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    From the pic it looks like it would stay pretty much up next to the door when closed. Maybe stick into the cupboard a half-inch or so.
    That's what I thought. Not too bad.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014