Options

T@B Aluminum Platform

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I thought about putting my Honda 1000 on one side of the platform, but decided against it for the fume issue and also the noise that would come in through the front window and maybe vibration on the frame.  I'm trying hard to configure my Outback for boondocking without a generator.  If I do use one, I'd prefer to have it as far away from the trailer as possible.  I have another Action Packer (same size) on order for use on the front tongue for the dirty stuff like sewer hose and wood blocks under the stabilizer jacks.  I really do like how the two military water jugs fit on the left side.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Dave28 - I'm actually have a little difficulty finding suitable locks for the Action Packer.  It is a strange opening size for a traditional padlock shank.  For now, a tight bungee cord over the top (left to right) will keep the lid secure.
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    OutbackAZ said:
    Dave28 - I'm actually have a little difficulty finding suitable locks for the Action Packer.  It is a strange opening size for a traditional padlock shank.  For now, a tight bungee cord over the top (left to right) will keep the lid secure.
    Dave, you can run a drill bit through those holes to enlarge them a little if needed.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Dave28 said:
    Great concept!  Thank you for sharing! Please consider securing the latches on the ActionPacker or strapping down the cover.  Over latches will sometimes come loose.
    It looks like the ActionPacker totes are lockable, so I plan to put small padlocks on to prevent pilferage. That should help secure the tops, right?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited November 2015
    Is the lock hole it too narrow or too long for a standard padlock? You might need a cable style  of long shackle lock. If your objective is keeping it closed versus actually locking it you could also go with either gear or zip ties.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    The body of a small luggage type lock is too narrow to work.  A "normal" size padlock sticks up and out at an angle (very unsightly).  The plastic tabs that hold the lock are very small and could be cut with linesman's pliers fairly easily.  Google "Rubbermaid action packer locks" and you'll see the link for a company that makes an aluminum frame that secures the top to the base (very pricey at $144 with 8 gal. packer).
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
  • Options
    You could buy a Pelican case cheaper than that. I think zips ties or gear ties make more sense.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Have to take into account any wind/breeze affecting the generator also. I move my generator around from corner to corner depending on the breeze.
  • Options
    Jenn: I'm a huge fan of Pelican cases. But could not find one that opened from top and fit on the platform. Lots of talent on this forum, someone will figure this out. In the meantime, a bungee cord works just fine.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:
    Would the platform support a small generator? If so, do you have to remove the generator to run it? Would fumes coming into the T@b be an issue?
    I would think there would need to be some degree of separation between the various intake vents and the exhaust of the generator. If the fridge vent is near, if the A/C vent is near, if the roof vent is open, if one or both or all three windows are open--all would need to be taken into consideration, along with the direction of the breeze.

A few years ago, a family was killed in an RV parked in someone's yard for the family's attendance at the Indianapolis 500 or the Brickyard.. Exhaust fumes from a generator running and placed too close to the RV, allowing the exhaust fumes to enter the RV, killing all occupants as they slept. I never can seem to forget that. Sure, they park those RV's in like sardines, but it didn't need to happen. 
    I have to add my own experience about a 3000w genny. At the time, power was out in the house because of a hurricane (gen on, so sump pumps and frig powered only while I was home). The gen was locked outside, exhaust pointed away from house about 20 ft away and the cords were run through the open dryer vent as I hadn't set up any permanent plugs. It didn't take much time for all basement CO (carbon monoxide) alarms to go off (CO2 is carbon dioxide). New strategy was implemented, but unfortunately, several people lost their lives during that period because of similar conditions. Scared the bejebus out of me. Please be careful. You are important.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:
    Would the platform support a small generator? If so, do you have to remove the generator to run it? Would fumes coming into the T@b be an issue?
    I would think there would need to be some degree of separation between the various intake vents and the exhaust of the generator. If the fridge vent is near, if the A/C vent is near, if the roof vent is open, if one or both or all three windows are open--all would need to be taken into consideration, along with the direction of the breeze.

A few years ago, a family was killed in an RV parked in someone's yard for the family's attendance at the Indianapolis 500 or the Brickyard.. Exhaust fumes from a generator running and placed too close to the RV, allowing the exhaust fumes to enter the RV, killing all occupants as they slept. I never can seem to forget that. Sure, they park those RV's in like sardines, but it didn't need to happen. 
    I have to add my own experience about a 3000w genny. At the time, power was out in the house because of a hurricane (gen on, so sump pumps and frig powered only while I was home). The gen was locked outside, exhaust pointed away from house about 20 ft away and the cords were run through the open dryer vent as I hadn't set up any permanent plugs. It didn't take much time for all basement CO (carbon monoxide) alarms to go off (CO2 is carbon dioxide). New strategy was implemented, but unfortunately, several people lost their lives during that period because of similar conditions. Scared the bejebus out of me. Please be careful. You are important.
    Thanks, Ratkity, this was helpful. I winded what a safe distance from the T@b is?

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    jkjenn said:
    Ratkity said:
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:

Thanks, Ratkity, this was helpful. I winded what a safe distance from the T@b is?
    My theory is that at the time, it was Sept, plus hot and humid after the storm - so I had fans running in the upstairs windows not facing the backyard. I think it was enough of an air pull to bring in fumes through the open dryer vent from the exhaust.  Insulation, towels, duct tape (gotta have duct tape involved) and repositioning the genny from any of the side windows that were opened stopped the alarms. Also kept the basement door to the main house shut with a "bottom of a door" draft blocker.. just in case. 

With all the little helper fans and vents (not counting the fantastic vent) in the T@B, I'd be hesitant to run a genny on an aluminum platform in the front. PXL can tell you where he puts his. I'm sure he'd have already told us if his CO alarm was making him get a migraine on a regular basis, so he must be doing something right.

The smoke alarm I have is another matter..... I swear, I was just crisping a little bacon that was already cooked! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited November 2015
    Ratkity - I move the generator from corner to corner depending on which direction the wind is coming from. I secure the generator to one of the corner handles with a carbon fiber cable so it's never too far from a corner unless I'm in a secure area in the boonies, then I set it out further. Have never had the detector go off.
    Smoke alarm - It's a pain, too sensitive in my estimation. I take the battery out when I'm cooking.
  • Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    OutbackAZ said:

Here are a few photos of my use of the platform.  Per Jenn's suggestion, right side Rubbermaid Action Packer.  Left side, two 5 gallon water jugs from Amazon.  The Packer has plenty of room for the shore power cord, garden hose and sewer hose with room to spare

I love those water jugs! Do the straps come with them? If not, did you get those on Amazon as well?
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    I love those water jugs! Do the straps come with them? If not, did you get those on Amazon as well?
    I have one of the 5 gallon containers but it is blue. http://amzn.to/1P6Zd6i The holders are extra: http://amzn.to/1pFdPF7

• Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    jkjenn said:
    OutbackAZ said:
    I have one of the 5 gallon containers but it is blue. http://amzn.to/1P6Zd6i The holders are extra: http://amzn.to/1pFdPF7
    Thanks!!!
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We at last have our platform installed ;storage box on; TV antenna installed and storage basket for our chairs. ( they actually stand upright in the basket in the bags and are secured around grab handle and platform posts
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Tardis - yes, bought the jerry cans and holders on Amazon.  Make sure you get cans for water. These are very thick food-grade plastic. The holders are NOT made for the water cans (just the gas cans), so you'll have to do some cutting on the forward strap with a Dremel tool to allow the strap to go between the blead-off valve and hose spout on the large cap. The photo you see was before I made the cuts to the straps. Still works, just not perfect.
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Looks great. were did you get the yellow landing pad for trailer jack.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    We got the landing pad from  Camping World her is a picture and the Item number
    South Carolina
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Is it possible for the storage box to hit your TV bumper when backing up?
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    You could buy a Pelican case cheaper than that. I think zips ties or gear ties make more sense.
    Yes, they are expensive. It's one of those things you get what you pay for. Not saying they are for everybody but they are extremely stout. You cannot flex it by hand.

I never could find a pelican case that was the right size. If I did the opening didn't work.
  • Options
    Ramrod We have backed servearl times with one of us behind ,sharply somtimes and have never had a problem with the storage box coming into contact with  the TV
    South Carolina
  • Options
    RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
    Probably some will find this extravagant, but after searching for diamond plate boxes with covers and hasps for the two sides of the front rack on the Outback (which seemed to range in price from $200 to $900),we finally decided to have two made to order from http://www.customaluminumboxes.com/. The people were nice and we get the exact size we want for about $160 each.  Will post picture when they come in.
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Could you post the measurements for the boxes you ordered?
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options

I ordered this one from Kotula's for $130 to put in front of the propane tub to house my inverter.  Not too big at 24" W x 12" D x 12" H.  A custom one made for $160 seems like a great deal based on the price of this cooler.

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/aluminum-diamond-plate-ice-chest-and-cooler

• Options
    RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
    Ron, if you mean my boxes, I ordered 19" wide 16" high 14" deep, and got them with shoes box hinged tops (means it has a lip) and hasps for locking.
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Thanks.  Looking forward to pictures.  My thought was to transport small generator on one side and gas can and maybe sewer hose on the other side.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    These guys make a generator box for a pretty good price. http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm