Options

Is the Alde up to the task of winter camping?

2»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Verna said:
    I've ordered one of the A/C vent covers from Elsie because I remember those cool winds in AZ last winter coming in through the A/C. Of course, I'm sure I'll be warmer in the T@B than I was in the Silver Shadow. I may even have a trick up my sleeve for the fridge vent. Hang onto that thought for a week or so.....
    Verna - does the a/c vent cover work on the S T@B? How do you plan on putting it up? I know Jenn suggested rare earth magnets.
    I'll get back to you when I receive it. I "think" you put snaps behind screw heads and there are corresponding snaps on the cover. 

I also found some some weatherstripping that is plastic.  You fold it in half to make it a "V", and push it into the gaps on the inside. Lowe's didn't have it, but I found it at Menards. If you don't have Menard's, check with Ace Hardware or whatever you have close. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    With sabel's version you don't have to do anything inside. Since it has foam weatherstriping around the edge it seals it up. Have had fairly strong gusty winds since I made it and haven't had any of it show up inside.
  • Options
    I should mention - I've had 25-27 degree nights (calm breezes) and haven't had any trouble with the Alde keeping up. Runs alot and you go thru propane faster but the internal temps were a normal 68-72. It's just the 10 degrees with 30mph winds where it didn't meet muster.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I should mention - I've had 25-27 degree nights (calm breezes) and haven't had any trouble with the Alde keeping up. Runs alot and you go thru propane faster but the internal temps were a normal 68-72. It's just the 10 degrees with 30mph winds where it didn't meet muster.
    The Alde will be the big change over last winter. If I boondocked, I just had my sleeping bag and blankets. This year, I have Alde!  With two 20 lb tanks of propane ;-). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - You'll love it - With the moderate temps you'll be heading to, that propane will last awhile :-)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Verna said:

I also found some some weatherstripping that is plastic.  You fold it in half to make it a "V", and push it into the gaps on the inside. Lowe's didn't have it, but I found it at Menards. If you don't have Menard's, check with Ace Hardware or whatever you have close. 
    There shouldn't be any reason NOT to install this weatherstripping, and just leave in in place all the time, right? I'd think this would help even in spring and fall by keeping the interior warmer. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Verna said:

There shouldn't be any reason NOT to install this weatherstripping, and just leave in in place all the time, right? I'd think this would help even in spring and fall by keeping the interior warmer. 
    I used to use this weatherstripping years ago. The advantage the plastic has over the foam, is that the plastic will last for a long time. The foam doesn't last many seasons. I should not need to replace this plastic. And, it will impede warm or cold air. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Photomom - You can also leave the "sabel" cover on spring/fall. It's so small and light-weight that it stores easy too when removed.
    Think I'm going to make a varient for the fridge vent also.
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    We ordered the A/C vent cover from Elise last spring. It comes with snaps that attach it to the vent. We traveled from San Francisco Bay area to Montana and back. It worked great and didn't come off. The snaps are very secure. We didn't take it off because we didn't need to use the A/C.

Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    Okay.  It was 27 degrees outside but no wind, so the Alde had us somewhat toasty at 67 degrees.  Had the vent mostly open too.  I used the press&Seal and it worked perfectly and never came off.  In fact it was on there pretty well!  I repositioned it several times and it never lost adhesion.  Total cost was about 2 cents and zero production time except for the heavy mental math to determine the proper length.  :0) 
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    Same here lunafemme!  I have my own PMW and I'm a glow plug at night, so we end up kicking off the comforter and the vent is wide open.  I wish the T@B had an actual temperature thermostat and not that cryptic controller which essentially does nothing but turn the systems on and off!  Not that I'm complaining since having radiant heat, to us diehard tenters, is a luxury.  I would've killed for that heat at Denali High Camp (-40F/C).
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    On my recent winter trip, which had some gusty wind, I checked around the a/c and felt no air blowing in. I could feel a tad bit by the fridge, but not bad at all. The key to warming things up fast is to lay the back bench flat.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I did receive my A/C cover, but I didn't get it installed. We'll see if the emu will help me install it this week  ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Jenn - Yep, lay the bench down for better heating. A lot of hot air just sits back there.
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    I tried the Press&Seal and it went on OK on a day when the temp was up to 40 degrees F. However, later when it dropped down to below 20 degrees F it came off. Instead I went to my old standby for sealing windows in the winter. I cut a piece of clear 2mil plastic and taped it with Frost King tape. Frost King will will stick at a wide range of temps and will pull off without lifting paint or leaving a residue. It's not cheap, but it's the best tape I have found for such purposes and I always have a roll around the house for various temporary taping needs. It is available a Home Depot. It may be available at other stores, but so far I haven't found it elsewhere.

Fergie in South Central MN

• Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    We ordered the snap on cover from the factory. It comes with snaps. One snap broke and they shipped us a few extras. It's very secure and stayed put on our 3 week 5 state trip. It seems to be worry free. We are very happy with it. 
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    I've had my snap-on cover on for almost 4 weeks. It has kept out dust from 50+ mph winds very well, as well as any wind. It will probably stat on the T@B until after I get home in April since I probably won't have many electric campsites. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    When you get that snap-on cover, do they send you a new grill with the snaps attached or what?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    When you get that snap-on cover, do they send you a new grill with the snaps attached or what?
    They send you four screw snaps to attach it to. Drill a starter hole, then the self starting screw snaps go in better. I installed top left, lower left, upper right and lower right and got a very tight fit. It was in the shade so I knew it would stretch a bit in the sun. It's still good after that wind storm. It took about 15 minutes or so to do it.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    About the same amount as making sabel's cover then I guess.
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    We asked our dealer to order a cover from Elsie, which he did, but then he took it upon himself to install it. Unfortunately it came off on the highway, and in the wind. Ugh!  At this point the only thing we can figure out is to buy a new grill and new cover someday.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    We asked our dealer to order a cover from Elsie, which he did, but then he took it upon himself to install it. Unfortunately it came off on the highway, and in the wind. Ugh!  At this point the only thing we can figure out is to buy a new grill and new cover someday.
    He didn't get it tight enough, Mia. You can remove the screw snaps, fill the holes with silicone, and drill the proper holes. You know I'll help this dummer if you need it....in Ohio!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    It's a tight stretch to get it on, Verna. It seems to be one snap that is misaligned enough to pop off. We will welcome any ideas, second opinions and help this summer! Thank-you! You are too kind and generous with your expertise, as usual.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    Mine is toght enough to weather 50+ mph winds plus driving with it on since mid-January. If you have it, we'll make it work!
    Verna, Columbus, IN